statement from exhusband to leave US w/kids

mah45638

I am trying to get everything ready for our 1st cruise in July and just need some advice. Since I have 2 daughters from a previous marriage their last name will not be the same as my husband and I, is this going to cause problems? I have my divorce papers and their certified birth certificates. I've heard that I will need a statement from my exhusband in order to take them outside the US. Does anyone know what this statement needs to say and also does it need to be notarized?:confused: Thanks!!!

My sister does travel with one for her daughter but so far has never had to use it and they travel a lot! BUT, my neighbor had to have one faxed to the airport once before they would even issuse boarding passes. This can happen when there are no ex's involved, just one parent and child.

If he would do it without making it a big deal, I'd do it (don't date it and then make copies and date the one you take so you only have to do it once) and yes it needs to be notorized.

Check with your cruise line, they may have theri own rules and you don't want to start off with a disapointment.

Samantha

Get the certified letter of permission from your ex. This happened to my sister, thank god she had the letter, she was asked to supply it at the airport and at the cruise terminal. She did ask both the airline and the cruise line if she didn't have this permission letter what would have happened. They both said, we would have to deny you boarding.

Get it notorized. It should state when and where you are going ie Celebrity GTS Summit from 5-15 May 2005 Maimi, Orch Rios Jamica, Grand Cayman and Aruba. We are fliying United Airlines from New York to Maimi on the 4 May and returning on the 15th. Also request full authorization for any and all medical problems.

I friend of mine who travels with her daughter cruising and leaves her spouse at home has been required every time both at the airport flying out of country and at the cruise check-in to have the child's passport and a certified statement!

DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!....they won't let you board...or at least shouldn't :p

my husband and i are cruising w/carnival imagination on june 16 , his son (16) also will be going , (dh & sons mother never married) he has his mothers last name .. Am I understanding this post to mean we must have a notarized letter from his Mom for him to go wtih us ?:confused:

I am finding out it is better to be safe than sorry. I was also told that an attorney or judge would also approve a letter stating it was ok to take the kids out of the country for a cruise without having the mother sign it. We are looking into this since the ex wife is giving us such a hard time about signing the passport application & minor release forms for my 13 & 16 yr old stepdaughters.

You should have a notarized letter or affidavit. Four years ago, DH took our oldest son on a business trip to Scotland, flying through Toronto. At Toronto, the immigration officials asked for the letter (What letter?) At that time the letter requirement was new, so they were permitted to continue their trip after they questioned both DH and son separately as to why I was not travelling as well. As the rules have been around for a while now, I suspect they have become stricter about requiring the letter.

Info thats posted on Princess Website, its the same for other cruiselines, also read another post with the same info below, hope it helps.

DOCUMENTS FOR PASSENGERS UNDER THE AGE OF 18

In addition to proof of citizenship, all children must have notarized written consent to travel signed by the non-traveling parent(s) or legal guardian(s) if both parents or legal guardians are not traveling with the child. This written consent must be presented at embarkation and accompany the child during his or her cruise. Children accompanied by only one parent must present a notarized written consent letter signed by the other parent, unless sole legal custody has been granted. In the case of divorce, adoption or other circumstances, the parent or legal guardian is required to present proof of sole legal custody of the child. Passengers may be refused boarding if they are unable to produce documentation that the child may travel with the adults who are present. As these documents must be presented at checkin, please do not submit them to Princess in advance of the cruise.

http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/ready.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=159137

I just spoke with Carnival and was told we would not need a letter !!!!! Now I am confused !!!:confused:

You can call Carnival 5 times with the same question and get 5 different responses.

I have taken my kids on 5 cruises with me and never was asked to supply such a letter. (but my kids have my last name.)

Since the OP has kids with a different name then hers I would be on the safe side and get the signed documents. Since the kids last name are different who is to say they are hers. THe name on their birth ceritifcate is not what is on her documents for cruising.

Archived