QM2 Sept 20th Westbound, 1st Time Cruisers

jctm

My wife Nancy and I will be making our first cruise in September! We believe our level of preparation will be greatly enhanced by all the information shared in these posts!! Thanks!

That said we're still left with a few unanswered questions....

Can anyone comment on lift noise? Our B-2 cabin is directly adjacent to the lifts and we are wondering if that might result in disturbing levels of noise. I doubt I would notice the original Queen Mary’s foghorn going off in our cabin after consuming the volume of libations I anticipate, but I would be remiss not considering Nancy’s comfort.

Does the booking of the cruise as part of a larger tour package negate the possibility of receiving an upgrade? Hope springs eternal…

I noted King’s Court is closed the first and last days of the crossing. Will any dining alternatives be available for those of us who might not be settled enough to prepare for Britannia?

I look forward to being a member of the select group that can answer question about cruising aboard Queen Mary 2!

Thanks again!

John and Nancy

Hi John & Nancy

We are on the Sept 20th Westbound crossing on the QM2. If you have been reading the posts you may have seen some of my messages. We are staying on QM2 to do splendours of the falls before returning eastbound on October 8th. I have cruised many times before but with P & O which are based here in the UK and they also have a division in Australia. They are now under the Carnival umbrella though. I have also been on QE2 several times but this will be my first time on QM2. So looking forward to it. You must be coming over here to the UK before the cruise. Are you staying for some time??

I can only speak for Oriana/Aurora re the siting of cabins near lifts and it is only second hand info of my sister in law. They had a cabin at christmas that was very close to the lifts. They didn't hear much noise at all from what I understand. I think that the newer ships are quite well soundproofed!! Certainly seem to be on P & O.

I am going to ask my travel agent to see about putting our children on the upgrade list but we will stick with what we have. We are in a B4 cabin and they are in a D4 cabin practically opposite us. I specifically chose the centre of the ship as I have a thing about being in the middle of the middle of a ship!!! Would be nice if cunard upgraded them to the same sort of room but I very much doubt it!!!!! I may get her to check out the liklehood first!! They are quite happy to be in an inside cabin.

Well pleased to see someone else on this cruise with us.

Elaine

Hi, John and Nancy

We too are cruise virgins (at least in the oceanic sense of the word), and we too will be in a B2 near the lifts in August. I was wondering exactly the same as yourselves! Thanks for asking the questions.

The question of possibly upgrading from an already asigned cabin number was one that I was too afraid to even consider - just in case the answer from all these knowledable folks was a resounding "No!". I think that for the time being I will live in the hope of being surprised. (Though I won't be able to resist reading the responses to your questions!)

Aren't the cruisers in this forum just soooo knowledgable and helpful? I feel almost that I don't even need to leave the comfort of my armchair as every evening I set sail from right where I am. I even feel that I know my way around the QM2 like the back of my hand and I feel that I am already developing a somewhat unhealthy sense of ownership of the magnificent, awe-inspiring, vessel that is the Queen Mary 2.

I think that the best posts that I have read recently were the daily missives from HRH Guernseyguy when he was recently aboard QM2. I think he truly deserves the Royal Title that I have seen fit to bestow upon him for his stirling work in the education and edification of we mere mortals who have yet to sail the "Ocean Blue"(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=171152).

If I can see well enough (I hear the Widow Cliquot is daily in residence on the QM2 and is very generous with her heart starters), I too will endeavour to post a few messages from my cruise around The Med in August thereby starting my long, long journey on the road to becoming a member of that rare breed - one of the QM2 cognoscenti.

Now, where have I put that fifth suit carrier ...?

Martin

Hello, We are crossing on the 9/20/trip also. This is our 6th cruise but 1st on QM2 and 1st transatlantic. We are so excited and looking forward to it.

I'm a little concerned about daytime wear, I was planning on relaxing in "jogging" type outfits during the day but I hear they are only allowed to & from the gym & walking on the deck. Also no jeans in public areas. This is fine with us as long as we are prepared and pack right, but how "dressed up" is daytime wear?

I did a crossing a few years ago on QE2 in Sept., and the daytime dress was nice, but not too casual. I never saw any jeans. No "jogging suits" either, but women did wear nice 2-piece casual pants outfits. I was comfortable in casual dresses w/ sandals, skirts and tops, or nice capri pants and tops. People sometimes refer to "resort wear" but it's hard to know what that means. You'll want to have a light sweater or jacket for daytime as well, since it will be a little brisk and windy on deck. Cardigan sets always make a casual outfit look nice, and you've got the extra layer for the nippy outdoors.

Have fun!!

Thanks for your replies!

It is wonderful to be corresponding with fellow Cruisers who will be on the same crossing. We will be in London for a week before returning to the Americas.

I read several postings that mention the sound proofing levels of the Queen Mary 2 being beyond adequate. I doubt it will be a problem for us if it was not an issue on older vessels.

I can not conceive of how unprepared I would have been for this adventure had I not found these boards. People have been so willing to share information!! I also found a wealth of photos on the internet, so many that I have to restrain myself, lest I be more familiar with our “oh so temporary abode” than I care to be. We must leave some surprises!

I do not believe I stated my question about King’s Court dinning options properly. I am aware of the division of King’s Court into separate eateries in the evening but I have been unable to determine if the Italian trattoria will be available in the absence of the finer dinning options on the first night of our journey.

I was thinking that business casual attire might be appropriate for daytime wear. I look forward to clarification on that point.

Business casual attire is a perfect description of daytime dress for men and women. Another way I think of it is what I would wear if I was going to lunch at a nice restaurant or nice hotel. Maybe the pictures you've found show the clothes that people wear during the day??

jctm:

I can provide some additional information on Kings Court, in case your questions have not been answered. Kings Court was NOT open on departure the first night out of Southampton on the April 16 crossing. As we were so happy with our Queens Grill meals, we only ate in Kings Court once for breakfast and once for lunch, but we were impressed by the quality and variety of food offered. The layout is somewhat confusing as noted by others, but it was always possible to immediately get something tasty during buffet times, even if you didn't want to wait in line for some of the freshly prepared items.

I would point out that while the evening table service of Italian, Asian, English carvery and Chef's Galley are much publicized, these themes are carried over into the lunch buffet as well. While there were some common items such as desserts and salads, there were distinctly different lunch buffet items in the hot serving lines in the Italian, Asian and English carvery areas, while the Chef's galley seemed to do a hamburger grill line at lunch. On the Asian side, there was a full-scale Chinese assortment offered, some in steam tables and some in a made-to-order wok station that looked great. There was also a sushi "island", consisting mostly of vegetable sushi rolls, with someone preparing sushi continually. Over in the carvery area, the steam table things seemed more traditional, while the Italian area featured various pastas and antipasto-type food.

All of the above were served on sturdy china ware, with linen-bundled full-size cutlery and nice mugs for tea/coffee/hot chocolate. All in all, I thought Kings Court was quite civilized for a buffet, in spite of the sprawling and confusing arrangement.

Charles

Thanks Sailsalot, That's what we were thinking, business casual is a good description. We are so used to Caribbean cruises that it will be strange to not be "living" in our bathingsuits all day, but we will adapt I'm sure. I just hope it isn't too cold.

I have been advised that jeans/jogging bottoms are OK to be worn during the day on QM2. Jeans are not acceptable in the evenings even on casual nights. In the brochure it does state that our relaxtion is their priority!!!! We are coming on board with two youngsters who class jeans as everyday wear. So it looks like they may stand out in the daytime. Mind you they will stand out anyway, because they will be one of the youngest on board I would imagine!! Beginning to think we have made a huge mistake in bringing them along!! Only because I think they will hate it. Especially if they can't wear their jeans in the daytime once we get on board. Having cruised umpteen times we respect the evening dress codes to the letter. New dinner suit for No: 1 son because he seems to grow out of one each time we cruise (which is twice a year)!! Gosh I wish he would stop growing. Daughter and I are on the scowl for new clothes too even though we don't really need any. But hey any excuse!!

After reading the messages yesterday about daytime clothes, I e mailed cunard and they responded straight away. I was very impressed.

Elaine

Beginning to think we have made a huge mistake in bringing them along!!

elaine61,

No! There's tons for them to do, and as long as you don't interupt their 'lie ins' and arrange to meet for lunch, not breakfast I'm sure they'll have a great time. Remember, there are over a thousand people on the ship in the same age range....the crew.

Peter

Peter

The age thing really was beginning to bother me. Thanks for putting my mind at rest on that too. As I have said before this is a trip of a lifetime for me and I want them to be with me. Hubby and the kids don't have a problem with flying. They don't particularly like it, but they do fly. Me, you wouldn't get me in an aeroplane no matter what!! Many thanks once again Peter.

Elaine

Elaine ... I like many others would class jeans as everyday wear and I am no youngster. From recollections of the Maiden Voyage, people wear their normal day wear during the day and that comes in all shapes and styles. Dressing 'up' for the evening is one thing, but I don't think you would get many people on a Cunard ship if they had to dress 'up' during the day as well. We are on the 8 Sept westbound (but don't return to UK until 22 Sept) - I will be wearing jeans so if you read of someone being thrown overboard on that crossing you will know they are not acceptable!!!!!

QM2 is a fabulous experience and I'm sure you nor your kids will want to get off at the end of it.

The Kings Court is not confusing as long as you are aware of the colour coding for each section - red for La Piazza, blue for Lotus etc. Highly recommend Lotus for dinner!!!

John and Nancy .... if you don't feel up to going out to dine on your first night (and that's a shame because you don't have to dress up and you will miss the excitement of the first night out) - you can always order room service and have an early night??? Soundproofing onboard is as good as or better than I have experienced anywhere - you shouldn't hear a thing. I think I have read positive comments on these boards about being located near a lift but couldn't swear to it. We are in 'wheelchair' C2 outsides for our crossing and think we are in a pretty good position for an upgrade!!!! In a similar grade on QE2 last month we were upped to a P2 - so we live in hope!!!

Regards

Ken

Great pictures Ken. Many thanks. And yes I can see jeans in the daytime will not be a problem. Hopefully off to MK a bit later to get No: 1 son to look at some casual type trousers for evening wear. Doesn't like shopping though so proving a bit stubborn at the moment. Better get back to the ironing I left before I was sidetracked!!!!!!

Elaine

Archived