Suggestion for rolling equipment bag?

nancyb715

My husband and I both dive and have our own equipment now. Of course, kinda bulky so wondering if anyone had any suggestions for getting it on/off ship, to dive locations etc. We have seperate bags for our regulators but need somethiing for everything else....it's quite heavy after diving! We have a big bag that you carry over your shoulder.....but we don't think that will work well for traveling.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, the best price/place to purchase?

I've been pretty rough with mine, dragging it over rough ground and through sand, for example. You can take a hose to it and wash the salt water away, too. The only repair I've had to do in three years is to have a zipper pull tag replaced, but not the zipper. The airlines pulled one off (probably got caught in a conveyor belt). Since then, I push all the tabs in as I zip up the bag and make sure they're protected by the straps. Haven't had any problems since.

We have a big mesh backpack we put everything in; that goes to/from the dive boat with us. Then for airlines and getting on/off the cruise we put that inside one of the REI rolling duffels. It gives us a little extra room for dirty laundry or souvenirs at the end of the trip and doesn't scream "Dive gear inside - steal me!"

That's why I like the Akona bag, it really doesn't look like a dive bag. I've always heard that about dive gear being stolen because the bag screams come here, but really how much has it happened? I've never actually heard of it happening to anyone. I even have scuba flag luggage tags.

I have a mesh bag, too, but after carrying it a half mile or so with wet gear in Grand Cayman one time, never again on a cruise! Give me wheels! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

We have a really nice rolling bag from XS, but it's two inches too big to fly, so we just use a regular rolly bag.

After lugging that big thing around, we bought mesh backpacks, and fell in love with them for back-and-forth to the boat. But.. you're right, they are heavy. We actually just bought new ones at Divers supply last weekend on their 'Black Friday' sale.

The ones we bought pack up into their external pocket, and are on sale for $29.95 until Dec 3rd (down from $40). http://www.divers-supply.com/Mares-Cruise-Mesh-BackPack-Elite-P102839.aspx

You can get the best of both worlds with a rolling mesh bag. Here's one for an example. http://www.divers-supply.com/Xs-Scuba-Wheeled-Mesh-Backpack-P394.aspx

Hope you find something that works for you!

Wendy

We are using 2 that my wife found at Penney's for $70. each. All my gear plus some other stuff will go in it. High Sierra AT358. Lightweight, rolls easily, expands 2 inches, very sturdy handle, 2 compartments, upper and lower lengthwise allows one to separate wet and dry, even has straps under a cover to make it a backpack if needed--trust me, I will NEVER need that feature. When full, it's at the airline max weight, 50 lbs.

We are using 2 that my wife found at Penney's for $70. each. All my gear plus some other stuff will go in it. High Sierra AT358. Lightweight, rolls easily, expands 2 inches, very sturdy handle, 2 compartments, upper and lower lengthwise allows one to separate wet and dry, even has straps under a cover to make it a backpack if needed--trust me, I will NEVER need that feature. When full, it's at the airline max weight, 50 lbs.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. You gave me alot of ideas.

Archived