Holland leaving San Diego

big green

Just back from the 30 day cruise on the Westerdam to Tahiti.

The Hotel Director announced to the passengers in good morning Westerdam interview exchange that Holland will be leaving San Diego out of disgust with the port stevedores and the customs/border patrol unusual requirements.

Anybody have any further information on this???

Big Green

Finally I figured out how to forward this thread to the port district and I just received a reply that they will look into the concerns mentioned and form an action plan to resolve these issues.

While they recognize some of the issues are undoubtedly exaggerated they also realize that many of these issues need to be resolved. Tourism is important to the economy of San Diego and we do not want to lose our cruise business.

I will be interested to compare for myself the differences between SD and Vancouver, at least as far as the stevedoring end of things go.

I'll be debarking in SD at the end of our March 17 Panama cruise.

A year ago we had just boarded the Oosterdam in San Diego waiting to embarrk on a 14-day Hawaiian roundtrip and were hanging out on the upper deck watching people board. We saw a forklift operator loading luggage on the ship from the dock. As we watched, he raised the suitcases 6 feet in the air, swung the equipment around wildly, dropped the entire load to the dock and proceeded to run over them with the forklift. We were horrified.

Was the guy drunk, high or just clumsy? We'll never know, but I've never seen that happen on any of the many other cruises we've been on embarking from other ports.

P.S. Our baggage arrived in the room later that afternoon safe and sound, but I wondered about our fellow passengers' mangled bags...

No, but rumor has it a bullet train from L.A. to Vegas is in the works; ETA about 2029;)

They are going to name it the "Harry Reid Express". Actually it is only going from Las Vegas to Victorville. Getting from LA or the suburbs to Victorville has always been a challenge.

David

Another lovely and wonderful project to spend $$$$ on and will probably fail.....

CT

Archived