Carnival Legend Late

jkm151

The Carnival Legend is late coming into Tampa due to dense fog. I Live in Tampa, and just passed by the terminal where the Legend docks. No ship there. She is still sitting in the Gulf of Mexico just outside the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Once she starts moving, it will be at least 2 hours before she arrives. It is now almost 10:00 A.M.

From John Heald's facebook page

CARNIVAL LEGEND - 11/4/12 DEPARTURE

The Port of Tampa is currently closed due to dense fog. At this time, they are uncertain as to when the port will reopen. Therefore, we ask that you not proceed to the port until further notice.

For updates on today's departure, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473). If you have already done so during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates

We are waiting at the hotel for our 12 noon shuttle time (we originally had the 10 am shuttle time). Looks like that will still be too early to leave for the port. News/weather report last night estimated the fog would lift by 11 am so hopefully conditions will improve very shortly.

We are waiting at the hotel for our 12 noon shuttle time (we originally had the 10 am shuttle time). Looks like that will still be too early to leave for the port. News/weather report last night estimated the fog would lift by 11 am so hopefully conditions will improve very shortly.

We are sitting at Homewood suites. Our shuttle told us they will call an hour before pick up time which is till unknown. But we have two kids and decided to take taxi to aquarium which right across the ship dock. I called them and was told we can store our luggage while we there and they have food court.

Last year my wife and I were on rccl Jewel of the seas that delayed coming into port of Tampa due to fog. It was a very stressful day on board as were were waiting for the fog to lift and worried about not making our flight at 12:30. once 10 am came we relised we were going to miss our flight so I rebooked the alst flight of the day for 4:50 that night at an added cost of $550 :eek:. The fog finally lifted and we started sailing at 2 pm. took forever to get to the dock and once we got there took forever to turn the ship around and back it in. Lucky for us we were in a grand suite so we had priorty debarking didnt think there was any way we would make our flight! First ones off the ship at 4:15! Found our luggage imediatly ran through customs. found a taxi. told the driver to the airport as fast as possible. Made it to the airport in 12 minutes! usually takes 20-25 minutes. driver was litterally going 80-90 miles per hour(he was tipped very well after we got there). Went to check in was told we had ten minutes to make it upsairs through security and to the gate! We made it litterally with no time to spare! last once to board the plane! Insurance ended up covering the $550 for the flightand my 4 year old daughter was ecstatic to see us when we arrived back home so it was all worth it! Doing it again this year with the same 12:30 flight hoping it will work out better this time around!

We are sitting at Homewood suites. Our shuttle told us they will call an hour before pick up time which is till unknown. But we have two kids and decided to take taxi to aquarium which right across the ship dock. I called them and was told we can store our luggage while we there and they have food court.

I am glad you found a plan B! I am sure the kids will enjoy the aquarium and you can watch the ship come in. We may have to do something similar.

Kinda sucks to see the countdown clock in your signature say you have sailed when your ship hasn't arrived yet!:eek:

Last year my wife and I were on rccl Jewel of the seas that delayed coming into port of Tampa due to fog.

I had read of delays due to fog at the port of Tampa so even though I am disappointed and a bit anxious, I was not shocked this has happened. Hopefully conditions will soon improve and we will be able to leave tonight and not miss any ports or have any more delays.

Last year my wife and I were on rccl Jewel of the seas that delayed coming into port of Tampa due to fog. It was a very stressful day on board as were were waiting for the fog to lift and worried about not making our flight at 12:30. once 10 am came we relised we were going to miss our flight so I rebooked the alst flight of the day for 4:50 that night at an added cost of $550 :eek:. The fog finally lifted and we started sailing at 2 pm. took forever to get to the dock and once we got there took forever to turn the ship around and back it in. Lucky for us we were in a grand suite so we had priorty debarking didnt think there was any way we would make our flight! First ones off the ship at 4:15! Found our luggage imediatly ran through customs. found a taxi. told the driver to the airport as fast as possible. Made it to the airport in 12 minutes! usually takes 20-25 minutes. driver was litterally going 80-90 miles per hour(he was tipped very well after we got there). Went to check in was told we had ten minutes to make it upsairs through security and to the gate! We made it litterally with no time to spare! last once to board the plane! Insurance ended up covering the $550 for the flightand my 4 year old daughter was ecstatic to see us when we arrived back home so it was all worth it! Doing it again this year with the same 12:30 flight hoping it will work out better this time around!

Omg... If everything goes like your previous trip we are not getting on board until 6-7 pm. Do u think we will not make to Cozumel?

Being completely facetious;):eek:;) but I wonder how long until we have a thread berating Carnival for either not getting into Tampa on time or for causing havoc for someone who has been sitting waiting for the ship. Sh*t happens, and its nice when people understand that. Kudos to those of you waiting who have found something to do instead of feeling sorry for yourself. It's always nice to read about alternative measures when things don't go as planned.:)

It'll all work out. Tomorrow is a day at sea, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to get to Cozumel. You cannot control weather. Look at it this way, you're on vacation and not at work!

Everyone have a great time, we'll be on board in 2 weeks!! Keep her in one piece.

Happy sailing!!

Any mariners out there that can explain why Tampa bay entrance via fog is any more of a problem than San Francisco? We sailed into SF bay in May on the Century and the fog was soo thick that we could not make out the bridge until we were right smack dab under it. Passed a Honda contianer ship at very close range just before going under the GG. Fog horns blaring, it was quiet an experience.

We are currently in the Sheraton Riverwalk in Tampa waiting. Marinetraffic.XXX still does not have the Legend moving.

Any mariners out there that can explain why Tampa bay entrance via fog is any more of a problem than San Francisco? We sailed into SF bay in May on the Century and the fog was soo thick that we could not make out the bridge until we were right smack dab under it. Passed a Honda contianer ship at very close range just before going under the GG. Fog horns blaring, it was quiet an experience.

We are currently in the Sheraton Riverwalk in Tampa waiting. Marinetraffic.XXX still does not have the Legend moving.

I'm not a mariner but I'll bet the biggest issue getting under Skyway bridge is the amount of space between the bridge and the top of the ship. There is very little clearance there.

This is a fairly new bridge, the original was hit by a tanker and had to be demolished. I think there is a bit of caution allowing ships to go under it in dense fog.

For anyone interested in the 1980 Skyway Bridge tragedy, here is some info and pics.... http://gcaptain.com/may-9-1980-tampa-skyway-bridge-disaster

We are waiting at home until we know the ship is at least moving! I think the Captain needs to put the ship dead center in order to clear the skyway. Not a lot of clearance. We

were hoping someone onboard could announce when it finally made it through. Not a trace of fog here. this is the second time for us, for this to have happened. Life is truly an adventure.

We don't wish to miss Cozumel but wouldn't mind skipping Belize.

I was in a hotel in Ybor City near the port, lots of people waiting to get on the Legend. I wanted to tell them at least they're not sailing into Sandy like we did 2 weeks ago. Fog is nothing. :p

Here's a picture from my room, about 1/2 a mile from the port, the fog was like this down there until about 10:30.

A624NXGCUAA9Ffz.jpg:large

Archived