Leeward Islands Ports

2bamboo

For our 2nd Star Clipper sailing we will be doing the Leeward Islands in early January 2013. Sometimes the ship anchors in smaller ports or bays than the big box cruise ships. I'm wondering if anyone who has been on this cruise can tell me the anchor or docking towns of the Star Clipper? Nevis, Dominica, Iles de Saints, Guadeloupe, Antigua? I am familiar with St Barts. I'm wondering where the adventure begins once I step off the tender. Thanks!!

Lucky you!! We did the first part of the back to back last year and wished that we had booked the whole 2 weeks because we did not want to get off the ship. Two other couples that we had met were continuing on and we were very envious. So now we are doing the second half and are so excited! It is such a different experience from the big box ships. The reason I am asking about the ports is because instead of herding off the big ships with thousands of other people and wandering off to look at all the Diamond International stores, with Star Clippers sometimes you are taken to shore where there is a bar...and another bar...and that's about it, Jost Van Dyke and Norman Island for instance. The Star Clipper usually anchors off shore and tenders you in to places where the big ships can not go so it is nice to be familiar with the area so you can figure out if there is something you would like to go see or to simply find the best palm tree to settle under. I have some notes that the people who continued on gave me but I love hearing from the folks on Cruise Critic and the wealth of information they provide.

Impressions?.......This is a true Caribbean experience. As you watch the sails raise and the wind begins to flap at your clothing imagine the history of the region, the ships and characters of yesteryear and as the islands approach go ahead and let out a hearty ARRG! It feels great! I am always dumbfounded by those who complain about the pitch and roll of the ship. Umm...duh. You chose to sail instead of cruise so ditch the tuxes and ties, the make up and high heels, grab one of those funny colored funny named drinks at the bar and take a deep breath because you are sailing the Caribbean:p I've cruised, I've sailed, there is a time and place for both. This is sailing...well, sailing without having to worry about where you are going, sea conditions, cooking, cleaning, maintenance or crew morale. My humble impression.

A couple of suggestions for you!

Iles des Saintes - which is, in effect, part of France - suggest a walk to the other side of the Island in the morning. At the place where you are (usually) tendered ashore turn right. A short distance along there is a road off to the left. Check with locals that you have got the right road then walk along that road to the other side of the Island - a nice walk and it takes about half an hour. You come to a very nice beach (it is where the locals go!) with shade from lots of palm trees where you can, if you wish, have a swim/snorkel. Take your camera with you because, as you look back along the rising part of the road you will probably see the Star Clipper at anchor and get some beautiful photos in a great setting. We then walk back (another 30 minutes) to the shopping / tourist area, explore that, and have a drink / sandwich or whatever takes your fancy in one of the cafes / restaurants there. Then back to the ship.

Antigua. Suggest a visit to the historic Nelson's Dockyard should be on the "must do" list. In recent years this has been fully, and well, restored. There is a small entrance fee. Within, and as part of, Nelson's Dockyard there is a museum which is very interesting - especially as you have arrived on a sailing ship!! You can almost feel that you are part of the history. Read the descriptive notes relating to the ancient sailing vessels. When we went there once the day of our visit was, amazingly, three (or / ? four) hundred years to the day from an important landmark for for one of the historic ships. (Sailing ships can be described in several ways according to their rig - the Star Clipper is a barquentine). Nelson's Dockyard is only a few minutes walk from the place where you are usually tendered ashore.

Have a super holiday you lucky people.

...a response (or two?).

We're doing a 1/19/13 B2B 14 dayer on the Star Clipper (a new line for us) and any new information / impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

My DH, Peter, and I, Lonnie, are also doing that b2b.

See you on board.

Archived