Mexican Riviera In Feb???

papillons4u

Has anyone done the Mexican Riviera? I have only cruised the Bahama's and am wondering what this adventure would be like? What are the port like? Is there much to do? How is the weather? Please help!

Papillon

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;2;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My wife and I took the 10 day Mexico cruise this past Feb. We were on the Mercury. The cruise was absolutely great. The ports were great. Be prepared for the first two days to be quite cool and the last two days to be cool. This would be my only complaint. I personally would stick with the Carribean in the winter months and take the Mexico cruise in the summer or fall.

From Minnesota

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;11;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Looking forward to Alaska, Infinity

My husband and I did the Mexico Sea of Cortez cruise on Holland America just this past February. The weather was definitely on the cool side - 60's. My husband, who is a warm weather person, complained the whole time. So I would agree with the previous poster, if you are looking for warm, tropical weather, better to stick to the Caribbean! Don't get me wrong, we still had a great time. This is also the time of the year that the whales are around, we saw many!

My husband and I were on the Vision of the Seas this past February. We left out of the port of San Pedro California. We had really nice weather in the high 70's but everyone told us that it had been cold and rainy before this. We had no rain all week. We stopped at Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vaharta. I felt the ports were nicer than some in the carribean and we always felt safe. We got off the ship each day and got a driver to take us around for a few hours. We did not go in the water but was told that the water was rather cold. We were with friends and I think we all had a good time.

First of all if you like warm weather , DO NOT do the Mexican cruise. We just returned from an April 18th, RCCL Vision of the Seas cruise.

The weather during the 3 days in port was excellent. Temp. was in the the high 80's. The water temp. was 56 degrees, those who went in the water ----FROZE. While sailing no could use the main pool, this forced the ship to allow children into the solarium. Air temp while sailing was 61 degrees and sunny.

Most people think that the California beaches have warm water , this in not the case until late summer and then it's 68-70 only. The water in this area of the Pacific from jan-May is quite cold and the air temp at sea very cold with the wind at 15 knots blowing across the deck......we went through several fog banks miles off-shore. In fact the foghorn sounding woke us up one evening. The ship was nice, but the food we rated a -3 on a scale of one to ten.

Never again, stay in the Caribbean for warm water and sailing.

Ron

Papillon,

We were cruising the week of Feb 7th out of San Diego. From what I have heard, Fall is a much better time of the year to do Mexico, much warmer. We normally do Caribbean, but wanted a change of pace. It was definitely worth doing, I would just re-think that time of year if we decide to do this itinerary again.

Hi:

The average weather in Cabo San Lucas from Nov. to April is between 80-85 (with the lows between 60-65) and from May to Oct the highs are between 85-90 (with lows between 70-75).

The average weather in Puerto Vallarta from Nov. to April is between 80-85 (with the lows between 60-65) and from May to Oct the highs are between 85-90 (with lows between 70-75).

The average weather in Mazatlan from Nov. to April is between 80-85 (with the lows between 55-65) and from May to Oct the highs are between 85-90 (with lows between 65-75).

I hope this helps.

Tom

I just realized that I did not include the Humidity.

Puerto Vallarta - ranges from about 87-93%, with the worst months being July-Oct.

Cabo San Lucas - ranges from about 60-71%.

Mazatlan - ranges from about 84-93%, with the worst months being Aug.-Nov.

Tom

Papillon,

The weather was in the 60's the first two days and last two days. Very cool.

The ship is beautiful and very well cared for.

I highly recommend the Mexican cruise, just not in Febuary.

From Minnesota

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;11;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I want to thank you all for your input! I guess we are going to try to find a different cruise! Any suggestions will help! We do like it hot! Have done the eastern twice and the western once. All on RCCL. What was your favorite cruise and why?

Papillon

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;2;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The Horizon 10-night Western Caribbean is wonderful. A small, older ship with fantastic employees. Ports include the usual Grand Cayman and Cozumel. And, Roatan Honduras, Puerto Limon, Costa Rica and Colon, Panama. The Panama Canal was very interesting as was the old military base, shopping was very good at Colon 2000. Purchased some great molas. Puerto Limon was grim, but I did not feel as if we were in danger walking through town. We can't expect all ports to be created for the cruise ships. Roatan appears to be extremely poor when you go into port but once on the other side of the island, the beaches are beautiful and snorkeling fantastic. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

We sailed on the Mercury this past February to the Mexican Riviera. We spend two nights in San Diego prior to boarding the ship. What a beautiful city. We had so much fun there. The Mercury is very well maintained and just as wondeful now as in 1996 when we first sailed her. The weather was cool the first couple of sea days. We didn't really mind. When we got down to Cabo and on down all the way to Acapulco, it was definitely hot. On the way back to San Diego, it was cool again the last two day. We don't sunbathe anymore, so it did not matter to us. We had a terrific time and really enjoyed the ports.

Vicki

ACJV

Papillon,

The southern Carribean is very nice. You will find airfare to be abit higher than Florida. We did the Radiance out of San Juan two years ago. We really enjoyed it.

From Minnesota

Papillon, we too are from New Englanad and agree. When you look forward to a vacation you expect it to be warm and dry. We have taken 2 Eastern Caribbean cruises the very last week of February and each time it is very cool in Nassau and we encountered brief showers many days while on land or at sea.

As you will note from our cruise experience below, we like Celebrity ships but have enjoyed all of our cruises. The Carnival newer ships that offer an exotic Western Caribbean itinerary were really great and different. Put away the charge cards as there is limited "shopping" ports. But take private tours and you will learn a lot about these countries: Belize, Limon, Costa Rica, Cozumel, and Colon, Panama. Take a ship tour at Colon; the Ocean to Ocean Train tour was great giving you a land and sea experience.

Carnival cabins are good size; 185 SF on average. We found the prime season values to be great. Galaxsea cruises in Portland should be able to give you a good quote.

Bon Voyage

Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04

Carnival Conquest 10/26/2003

Carnival Legend 4/11/2003

Carnival Pride 2/23/2002

Celebrity Galaxy 11/2001

Grand Princess 3/2001

Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000

Sea Princess 2/22/1999

Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998

Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998

Celebrity Century 3/1997

Celebrity Zenith 11/1996

Legend of the Seas 6/1995

Celebrity Horizon 4/1994

Nanatravel,

That is a lot of cruises! I am impressed. I can't wait to have that many under my belt! I too am a Nana! 16 months and holding..hehehe.

Which cruise line has the nicer ships? I have only been on RCCL..and love them. THinking of trying Celeb. or Princess this time. Which was your favorite ship?

Papillon

Definitely try a southern Caribbean cruise. Either a seven day out of San Juan or a 10/11 day out of one of the Florida ports. We did the Summit 10 day southern Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in January and it was great!

Archived