What do Alaska prices usually do?

canuckgal

Looking to cruise to Alaska (again!) in 2014. I wasn't watching the 2013 prices very closely, as this was a fairly recent decision. Are the first early-bird prices usually the best prices (for suites)? I know suites don't fluctuate as much as other categories? Should I book the second they come out? That is, of course, the most fun!

Another question: I know with Sawyer Glacier, the iceflow is always an issue and getting all the way to the glacier is a tossup (we were lucky to get all the way up the fjord). Is there any such issue with Glacier Bay, or is it always "open"? Why is that itinerary a bit more than Sawyer? Thanks!

Looking to cruise to Alaska (again!) in 2014. I wasn't watching the 2013 prices very closely, as this was a fairly recent decision. Are the first early-bird prices usually the best prices (for suites)? I know suites don't fluctuate as much as other categories? Should I book the second they come out? That is, of course, the most fun!

Another question: I know with Sawyer Glacier, the iceflow is always an issue and getting all the way to the glacier is a tossup (we were lucky to get all the way up the fjord). Is there any such issue with Glacier Bay, or is it always "open"? Why is that itinerary a bit more than Sawyer? Thanks!

What I have noticed is that prices tend to increase (for the most part) from the initial offerings. I have noticed an occasional drop, albeit not by much, during "wave" season, but not on all itineraries. Recently, the trend seems to be offering OBC incentives instead of price adjustments.

As for Glacier Bay being more expensive... it could be due to the limited number of ships that are allowed access to the park; supply & demand!

Can't answer your question about ice flows... sorry.

Alaska is one of the most popular cruise destinations, and prices tend to be high and stay high. You might get lucky with a last minute booking if they're trying to fill a ship, but don't count on it..Alaska itineraries fill early and stay full. I'd book the dates you want as soon as you can, and don't worry too much about price.

I haven't done the Sawyer glacier run, but I've done Glacier Bay twice. IMO, it's the premier Alaska itinerary, and not to be missed.

Both times we went to GB, the ship could not get into Johns Hopkins inlet due to loose ice in that particular inlet. However, even if you can't get into that particular inlet, you will still see many glaciers, and you are practically guaranteed an "up close and personal" visit to the Margerie glacier in the Tarr inlet. This is where the ships cruise up close to the glacier, and stop. They stay there for an hour or so, turning slowly so that everyone gets a good view.

On our last trip in, we were closer than I've ever been before, and we were treated to a spectacular display of the glacier calving off huge chunks of ice. Amazing!

But Glacier bay is not just those glaciers...it's a huge area, with all kinds of spectacular scenery, and since entrance to the bay is strictly controlled, it will usually be just your ship, one other cruise ship, and some smaller vessels that have paid to enter. Opportunities for wildlife spotting are fantastic.

NCL's GB cruises also feature a Parks & Wildlife naturalist on board, who will provide interesting information about the park, the glaciers, and the wildlife around.

Go for Glacier Bay...you won't regret it.

Thanks, everyone. We don't have the flexibility to book last minute, so I think we will just book right away so we can do the happy dance. Doesn't seem to make sense to do Sawyer Glacier again. We were lucky to get all the way to the glacier the first time, and if we don't make it on this second trip, then I will be disappointed we didn't choose Glacier Bay.

If you want a suite, or even a balcony, you need to book as soon as you can. Just watch prices after for adjustments. Both will sell out for Alaska! And Glacier Bay over Sawyer.

I recommend the Port Side if you're going to get a balcony or mini-suite/suite for Glacier Bay. We kept the door open & turned up the TV so we could hear the ranger... and we didn't have to play elbonics to have a good view. ;)

I made the mistake of booking my AK cruise a year in advance - then watching the rooms sell out and the prices go up 500.00 pp and then just after final pmt was due a bunch of the SF suites came back on the market and the price drop to 400.00pp less than what I paid. NCL did give me a Future Cruise Credit for the difference - it was either that or a try at an upgrade which I did not want- I like the SF aft suites. The lesson learned is not to watch prices :D

As for Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm I agree that GB is way better - and more expensive. However if you have seen Juneau you can take a small boat tour of Tracy Arm and get up close to the Sawyer Glacier - the tour is offered through NCL and does take the entire time you are in Juneau.

Archived