Dengue Fever on Madeira

mollymoo12

Our travel agent has received a notification from P & O that there is an outbreak of Dengue Fever on Madeira and are advising us take high strength insect repellant with us.

Notification copied from P&O website

Friday 2 November 2012 - Dengue Fever Health Advisory - Cruises X220, A226, E227N and J217

We have been advised by the Public Health Authority in Portugal of a recent outbreak of dengue virus infection on the island of Madeira. The risk of contracting the disease is reported to be low. Dengue fever is a viral illness spread by day biting mosquitoes. Symptoms include fever, muscle aches and a rash.

Whilst the risk of contracting this illness during the ship's call to Maderia are very low, we reccommend that you review the information provided by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office via their Travel Advice by Country for Portugal which can be found at http://www.fco.gov.uk.

Additional details, including advice on bite avoidance can be found at the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) at http://www.nathnac.org

We were informed of the health advisory the night before we arrived at Funchal on 17 October. We were advised to keep arms and legs covered, and use the insect repellent that P&O would supply. So we did, got well-sprayed by the guys at the bottom of the gangway and headed into town and up to Monte. As far as we could see, we were almost the only people covered up.

Thanks for the information. That is interesting, I thought it was a recent event but it must have been around for a few weeks then.

It seems there is no need then to go out and buy insect repellant if Cunard are supplying it.

Thanks for the information. That is interesting, I thought it was a recent event but it must have been around for a few weeks then.

It seems there is no need then to go out and buy insect repellant if Cunard are supplying it.

I have just returned from a cruise on "Adonia" that included Maderia. Repellent was on sale in the shop, it was not handed out for free and we were not sprayed on the gangplank. Best to take your own in case the shop runs out.

I have just returned from a cruise on "Adonia" that included Maderia. Repellent was on sale in the shop, it was not handed out for free and we were not sprayed on the gangplank. Best to take your own in case the shop runs out.

I did in fact get a feeling that the advisory was a surprise in mid-October. We didn't see any stocks of insect repellent in the shops. That might explain the 'free spraying' at the gangway.

Just returned from Azura which included a stop in Madeira.

We too received a spraying from the guys at the bottom of the gangway. There was repellent available in the ships shops, however at a vastly inflated price.

We were also advised to cover up, however many people didnt bother.As far as I know there were not any reports of bites.

Whilst new in Madeira, dengue fever has been endemic in many Caribbean islands, including Barbados, for some time. I have never however, had my attention drawn to it when on a Caribbean cruise. Looks like a bit of an overeaction to me.

Archived