newbie needs an answer....

daddig

:confused: I have just a quick question....

With the homeland securties they have now...they check the luggage for booze etc. I need to know..do they put you thru a metal detective?? Like they have in the motor viechles (sp)?? I have 2 plates with 18 screws and I do set off the metal detective so I didn't know if I needed a note from my Dr. about it or not.

Also, can you bring snacks on the ships..I know I know they have all this food so you wouldn't need anything but I was wondering about chips, cookies etc. I like them when I watch the tv or out on the balcony.

Thanks for your input I know they'll be more...

daddig...... Yes, you will be going through a metal detector everytime you go onto the ship...initially and then while in each port. If you have plates and screws....you definetely will want to bring some sort of documentation from your Dr. Also....this will surely be helpful in the airports.

Food is very plentiful on any ship. Room service is available 24 hours a day. Room service is free.

Personally, I do not think you need to bring any snacks with you....onto the ship.

Have a great evening ! :)

A doctors note is good, but my cousin just lifts the hem of her pants and shows them the surgery scar, she gets right through the metal detectors.

Leave your snack food at home, but if you have a flight you might want something to munch on there. The cruise fare you have already paid has included all the food you can possibly eat all week. There are very few exceptions, such as specialty restaurants and ice cream counters. Some ships have them and some don't. Nothing is free, it is included, so don't feel bad ordering room service or getting snacks from the Windjammer. We always order cheese and crackers, or dessert in the afternoon or evening. A small tip is always welcome for the room service waiter.

I carry a letter from my doc and have needed it in a few airports. I have pins and wires in my hand that set of the machines reallly good:mad: Depending on the screener.... having the letter makes life so much easier.

homeland security won't be checking for booze or snacks in your luggage - they're not the ones who care - it's the cruise line's checking where those might be discovered. i concur with others who say you don't need to bring snacks aboard; the exception (for me) is that i have a few fruity breakfast bars in my scuba bag - i find they're good for helping remove the saltwater taste in my mouth after a dive, should the dive operator not provide things like watermelon chunks for that purpose.

as far as the doctor's note, it wouldn't hurt in that it might speed the process. but, from the sound of things, your best bet is to just allow plenty of time and accept that they're going to want to wand and likely hand-pat you just to be sure.

Daddig, since you didn't mention which cruiseline or ship, and in case it's Carnival ... You can order all the cookies, brownies, and/or chips you want from room service 24 hrs. a day, and munch till your heart's content on your balcony.:) I'm sure it's basically the same on all lines.

Happy ks --

but my cousin just lifts the hem of her pants and shows them the surgery scar, she gets right through the metal detectors.
In Victorian times, a little ankle would get you a long way. Times haven't changed much.

I guess I shall talk to my dr. now before it gets too late...I'm going on the Dawn in Oct. so I'm not going to wait until the last minute. I've never needed a note before until now. I would have lifted my pant hem but since it's most of my right leg, I would have scared everyone off (hehehe...maybe that would get me on the boat faster??

Thanks to all of you again for coming thru for me!

I have two plates and 22 pins in my right leg, and I've never set off the metal detector on a ship or in the airport. However, before I flew for the first time after my 3/02 accident, I made sure to get a note from my doctor. He actually had plastic cards made up (size of a credit card that you can carry in your wallet) for his patients. It's in my wallet if I ever need it.

My DH had heart bypass surgery several years ago and was told that the wires used to repair his sternum would never cause trouble at airports. Well, with the exception of one (Montreal, Canada), he is always stopped for further screening because he sets off bells and whistles going through the walk-through security. He makes sure to wear polo shirts that can be opened at the neckline so the screeners can see the scar on his chest. I don't think bringing along a letter would make things go faster; by the time they read the letter and wanded him, it might even take more time. All that's required is a little patience and he gets through. Just my 2 cents worth!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have an implanted defibrilator and a pacemaker. Neither of which can go through the metal detector or be near the wand. I have to be hand searched each and every time. Initially it was big pain and embarrasement, but after 18 years I have gotten used to it and often times I get through security faster than my wife. She has to stand in line to go through detectors as O'Hare and the security people just take me up front and into a seperate area to be hand searched. Pretty much the same on the ship. Hand searched each time. I would definetaly have a letter of explanation from my doctor explaining the metal or the reason for not going through the detectors.

The security people have seen it all and will not be surprised by your situation.

Archived