Marigot market spices and customs

Joy Scott

Seems like it's mostly OK:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/335/kw/can%20I%20bring%20in%20spices/session/L3NpZC96TjZfSU5hbA%3D%3D

"here are no restrictions on the importation of coffee, tea or spices for personal use, although they may be subject to Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspections if a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer suspects contamination or insect infestation of the product. For more information from FDA call 1-888-723-3366.

Please note that tea or spices containing fruit or vegetable leaves or seeds, including citrus leaves or seeds, are typically prohibited. "

I agree that it seems to be mostly ok, but I have heard that some spice items, like Cardamom Seeds and Pods and Cumin Seeds may be problematic.

That said, I have been told that some of the spices sold at the Marigot Market actually come from Tone's containers, which are readily available on the island.

th_DSCN2911.jpg

(click)

gary

Thanks for the feedback!!:) Getting excited. This time next week will be two days away from the spice market, tasty rum, yummy pastries....

I would love to hear your thoughts about the outdoor market when you get back. We head to St. Martin in January and am trying to put together out plans for the day. I've been to the island 4 times previously, but never been to the French side.

There is a French bakery in Marigot across from the water called la sucriere and they have these amazing fresh pastries and croissants along with great coffee or espresso. There are several tables/booths set up with lots of souvenirs for sale. Right near the market is the West Indies Mall. It's a big building that you can't miss. Inside there is a public bathroom that you have to pay $1 to use,(European custom), but it is one of the fanciest restrooms I have ever seen.

Archived