Washy Washy after...

Kaboochi

Ncl does a fantastic job sanitizing passengers' hand upon buffet entry. While I was in line 3 week as ago on the Sun, the person in front of me coughed into their hand, then picked up the serving spoon. From that moment on I began "washy washy" after I got my food, before I ate. It would be nice to see sanitizing stations placed by the tables. Is anyone in agreement or am I just a germaphobe!!!

I do not think you are a germaphope at all. There was quite a heated thread a little while back on the "washy washy" issue. One person made the statement that he/she simple walks right by the crewmember spraying hands on the entrance to the buffet and says "no thank you". How bad is that?, worse yet they had kids and more than likely teach their children the same selfish disgusting habits. I think you have a very valid point and will follow your example, thank you.

I do not think you are a germaphope at all. There was quite a heated thread a little while back on the "washy washy" issue. One person made the statement that he/she simple walks right by the crewmember spraying hands on the entrance to the buffet and says "no thank you". How bad is that?, worse yet they had kids and more than likely teach their children the same selfish disgusting habits. I think you have a very valid point and will follow your example, thank you.

Thank you, I am glad you liked my idea, happy cruising:rolleyes:

While I like the way NCL provides the sanitizers, nothing truly beats a good hand washing before dinner. On the other hand there is no way we will ever stop people coughing either at any time. And there are times when there isn't enough time to reach for a tissue. The coughing don't mind me as much though as people sneezing. Again the same story reaching for a tissue at times.

So instead of policing others who at times can't help themselves, I concentrate on what I can control. That is washing my hands, and doing my best not to spray on others when coughing and sneezing.

Some of us have sensitive skin and cannot handle sanitizers. I wash my hands with soap and moisturize. Don't assume people who bypass are dirty.

I think the sanitizer is harsh too. Soap and water is a gentler way to rid those pesky germs. I just like to clean my hands after self serving and before I eat.

Ncl does a fantastic job sanitizing passengers' hand upon buffet entry. While I was in line 3 week as ago on the Sun, the person in front of me coughed into their hand, then picked up the serving spoon. From that moment on I began "washy washy" after I got my food, before I ate. It would be nice to see sanitizing stations placed by the tables. Is anyone in agreement or am I just a germaphobe!!!

It is pretty much a waste of time, because you are not provided enough solution, and people do not know how to properly use it, but hey . . . if it makes you feel better have at it.

Having said that the coughing is a lot gross, and the spoon she touched and the food should have been thrown out immediately.

I applaud NCL for how they have presented the "washy washy" idea. Even if folks choose not to partake for whatever reason, it makes them think about what they can do to stop the spread of germs. Perhaps it will inspire some to definitely wash their hands after using the restroom or others to think twice about not washing their hands before entering the buffet area. If it changes the behavior of just a few....it it better than nothing. And, at the same time it is FUN for the rest of us!

People are made with freewill and a mind of their own. Therefore there isn't a way for any company including NCL to force others to be vigilant in not spreading germs.

Sanitizer does not work on the big cruise ship bug Norovirus, but apparently does work on other things. So short of putting guards by the sinks in the public washrooms and following each passenger around, IMO they do the best they can to to alleviate the spread of germs with their washy washy people.

I rely on good old fashion soap and water and humor those at the washy stations and the dispensers outside of the dining venues by using the horrible sanitizer stuff. Then again on the way to the dining venue I may have touch a stair railing, a door handle an elevator button, the back of a chair etc.

I think by the tables is a little overkill. If you feel that strongly that you wish to cleanse your hands between getting your food and eating, they make wonderful little bottles of that stuff that you can carry around and use at will.

Some of us have sensitive skin and cannot handle sanitizers. I wash my hands with soap and moisturize. Don't assume people who bypass are dirty.

I agree. My sister has a severe allergy to topical alcohol and, thus, couldn't have her hands sprayed on our last cruise or she would have spent the entire cruise in the medical office.

Last October I had a Stem Cell transplant. I have had to rebuild my immunity system since then. Also have had to avoid situations where I could pick up germs. I was so house bound that as soon as I could (6 months) I signed up for a cruise on the Star and the Jewel. To avoid as many germs as I could I booked a OS on the Star and a Jewel Haven suite and ate my meals only at the Speciality Restaurants. I still used a small hand sanitizer when I sat down to eat. I would have been in bad shape if I couldn't use the Sanitizer. I got sick anyway on the Jewel and spent a day in quaratine. I had plain old flu. The Jewel Doc told me if the meds she gave me didn't work then I'd end up in the Hospital in Victoria BC. I didn't but wish I could have avoided an illness without having to stay bound to my house.

We always wash our hands before leaving our cabin (we have been told that soap and water is best) and then use the sanitizer at dining entrances but we know that not all do the same.

Maybe they should have hand washing stations set up at at dining entrances.

I know this would not be in keeping with the decor but if soap and water really is best then why not?

Last October I had a Stem Cell transplant. I have had to rebuild my immunity system since then. Also have had to avoid situations where I could pick up germs. I was so house bound that as soon as I could (6 months) I signed up for a cruise on the Star and the Jewel. To avoid as many germs as I could I booked a OS on the Star and a Jewel Haven suite and ate my meals only at the Speciality Restaurants. I still used a small hand sanitizer when I sat down to eat. I would have been in bad shape if I couldn't use the Sanitizer. I got sick anyway on the Jewel and spent a day in quaratine. I had plain old flu. The Jewel Doc told me if the meds she gave me didn't work then I'd end up in the Hospital in Victoria BC. I didn't but wish I could have avoided an illness without having to stay bound to my house.

I can only imagine how daunting it would be to cruise knowing your immune system is in the process of rebuilding itself. I would hate to be the one compromising your health, even unknowingly by not practicing basic hygienic procedures. It appears by other posts it is our responsibility to protect ourselves against contaminated implements or handrails ect. There are many excuses people exploit for not using the sanitizers, some valid and others probably just an excuse for been lazy, or “look at me I am special, my hands never get dirty”. How many times do we witness individuals using a public washroom and then walking straight out? When we see folks blow by the sanitizers we can only assume,---

I intend to follow the original posters advice and look after number one.

I can only imagine how daunting it would be to cruise knowing your immune system is in the process of rebuilding itself. I would hate to be the one compromising your health, even unknowingly by not practicing basic hygienic procedures. It appears by other posts it is our responsibility to protect ourselves against contaminated implements or handrails ect. There are many excuses people exploit for not using the sanitizers, some valid and others probably just an excuse for been lazy, or “look at me I am special, my hands never get dirty”. How many times do we witness individuals using a public washroom and then walking straight out? When we see folks blow by the sanitizers we can only assume,---

I intend to follow the original posters advice and look after number one.

OP here, we all have to look out for #1. Great statement, thanks. After being sick for 2 days on a ccl cruise last feb, I am putting me first. In oct on the sun, they had signs posted over the drink dispensers to use a new glass when refilling. I became the dispenser officer, telling people not to fill their water bottles, personal cups, etc directly from the dispensers. why? Foreigners excluded as they might not know the language.

I've always been an advocate of good old soap and water AND don't touch any oriface on your body without washing first AND haven't been on a cruise for over 20 years. I've always said cruising didn't appeal to me because if you put 2000+ people together in a bunch, the percentage of nose-pickers is going to be high and avoid buffets of any sort for the same reason. When we travel, I never touch handrails or handles if I can help it and carry alcohol wipes for when I can't. that being said, I do not use hand sanitizer as a matter of course because I think it is bad for all of our immune systems and I think a good washing is better. I would, however, advocate it's use on cruise ships and am heartened to hear it is so strenuously enforced on NCL. We'll be cruising on the Spirit Dec 3. Unfortunately, I fear those that need washing most will avoid the washy washy most as well.

While I like the way NCL provides the sanitizers, nothing truly beats a good hand washing before dinner. On the other hand there is no way we will ever stop people coughing either at any time. And there are times when there isn't enough time to reach for a tissue. The coughing don't mind me as much though as people sneezing. Again the same story reaching for a tissue at times.

So instead of policing others who at times can't help themselves, I concentrate on what I can control. That is washing my hands, and doing my best not to spray on others when coughing and sneezing.

If you do have to cough, do it into your sleeve. Hands remain clean and you will not spread through touching others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes! Cough and sneeze into your sleeve/elbow! No hands involved, including Kleenex! CDC recommends the use of both gel and soap and water, soap and water should not be replaced by the gel... Obviously you still need to wash your hands between using the gel. In the hospital, hand gel is used for most patients, and hand washing is performed after contact with bodily fluids, soiled hands, or patients with certain infections. I guess what I am getting at is that alcohol based hand gel is effective at preventing illness, only if used properly. You have to have about a dime size amount and must rub it until your hands are completely dry, which should be at least 15 seconds I think. If it dries out sooner than that you don't have enough and it is not as effective. Anyway my two cents. I always wash my hands/ use hand sanitizer and am even more scrupulous on a cruise. One of the first things I do in my cabin is wipe down every surface with Clorox wipes :-) its nice knowing that a lot of the germs are killed in there :-) also boost my immune system with some emergen-c whenever I travel.

I am a germ-o-phobe! I always washy, washy before going into the buffet line. Then when I am about to eat and before touching my utensils, I pull out a GermX wipe, individually packed. I bring a bunch of these on all my cruises. I do not eat anything using my hands as well. I use utensils for everything. On another note, I do not frequent the buffet often because of the germ issue. That NORO Bug scares me to death. :eek:

Archived