Washy Washy after...

Kaboochi

I would like to see a crew member in the buffet pull out a hand sanitizer or kindly direct a passenger who just sneezed in their hands to the hand sanitizer station.

Well as much as that sounds like a good idea. If someone has sneezed into their hands you have to question their hygiene habits to begin with. Which would probably mean a very irate passenger, because most people like that do not see the wrong in their ways and tend to get over defensive.

The unfortunate part is that cruise ship employees (meaning the staff the work in the buffet, washy washys, servers, rooms stewards etc). Do not appear to be trained in dealing with controversial issues with passengers. They seem to be very well trained in keeping "a" passenger happy without ticking off others. So this would take having someone working the buffet that was trained in a diplomatic and professional ways of dealing with issues so management and/or security would not have to intervene.

There is a fine line between gently pushing someone to be aware (washy washy folks) to getting in someone's face that is just not getting it.

There is a fine line between gently pushing someone to be aware (washy washy folks) to getting in someone's face that is just not getting it.

Just not getting it or choosing ignorance I suspect.

If we eat in the MDR we are sometimes asked if we wish to share a table, on occasion we do unless we note the folks immediately in front of us (often those people we would be among our new dinner friends) do not use hand sanitizers. We watch as they take the walk of shame and sit with other unsuspecting guests, and possible victims. You cannot always guarantee your fellow passengers are living up to the same standard the rest of us attempt; we can however reduce the danger.

Most of us have, and do teach our children to be good citizens and practice first rate personal hygiene, What, I shudder to think are the offspring’s of the nonconforming been taught by their parents?

You cannot always guarantee your fellow passengers are living up to the same standard the rest of us attempt; we can however reduce the danger.

Yes you have gotten the point I was trying to make. That there is only so much policing that one can expect from the cruiseline, before it is then up to the passenger to look after their own well being. Whether that is carrying hand wipes, walking to the dispenser after you serve your plate or watching the passenger in front of you before you choose to share a table.

We cannot control other people only what we do ourselves or what we choose to expose ourselves to.

I commend NCL for trying to raise awareness even if some have arguments whether the product actually does help or not.

Well as much as that sounds like a good idea. If someone has sneezed into their hands you have to question their hygiene habits to begin with. Which would probably mean a very irate passenger, because most people like that do not see the wrong in their ways and tend to get over defensive.

The unfortunate part is that cruise ship employees (meaning the staff the work in the buffet, washy washys, servers, rooms stewards etc). Do not appear to be trained in dealing with controversial issues with passengers. They seem to be very well trained in keeping "a" passenger happy without ticking off others. So this would take having someone working the buffet that was trained in a diplomatic and professional ways of dealing with issues so management and/or security would not have to intervene.

Another reason why staff should serve the food from the buffet IMHO.

There are signs posted over every beverage machine to use a clean cup when filling up. I can't count the number of times a pointed this out to passengers that filled their own water bottles and cups. Duh, which part of their signs didn't they get. I use my own insulated cups for hot and cold beverages but always use a clean ncl cup to fill my own. I am not a germaphobe at home but I am on a cruise as I want to enjoy every minute on board, which does not include spending time in my cabin, sick.

There are signs posted over every beverage machine to use a clean cup when filling up. I can't count the number of times a pointed this out to passengers that filled their own water bottles and cups. Duh, which part of their signs didn't they get. I use my own insulated cups for hot and cold beverages but always use a clean ncl cup to fill my own. I am not a germaphobe at home but I am on a cruise as I want to enjoy every minute on board, which does not include spending time in my cabin, sick.

Add a drink station attendant or supervisor to the list of staff needed in the buffet restaurant. How can we protect ourselves and children from cruisers that do this? I realize that there are many things that we can do to keep ourselves free of illness but when signs don't work then I feel that it is the cruiselines duty to correct the situation. Cruisers should not have to police cruisers, we are on vacation after all.:)

I realize most people are going to think I'm nuts, but oh well. I'm a germophobe and proud of it. After my then 7 year old son got sick with norovirus on a Disney cruise and was quarantined in our cabin for three days, I've started taking germs seriously.

I bring Clorox wipes and clean all knobs, handles, light switches, phone, etc. in the cabin. I put the remote controls in a zip lock bag. It takes 10 minutes to clean the room and then I don't think about it again for the rest of the vacation. We bring disposable vinyl gloves with us to the buffet and put one on the hand that touches all of the serving spoons. We sit down at our table, take the glove off and dig in without any worries of germs.

Some might think I'm stressing too much about germs, but the reality is I'm removing the stress from the vacation. I know we've done the best that we can do to stay healthy and just let it go. Nothing ruins a trip more than illness. Yes, we spend maybe a little time protecting ourselves, but that's nothing compared to the days spent sick.

I think NCL does a lot beter than other cruiselines at pushing guests to sanitize, but I'd prefer stations where they have employees giving food and beverages to guests to reduce our exposure. I get more colds on cruises than in any other environemt I encounter.

I think NCL does a lot beter than other cruiselines at pushing guests to sanitize, but I'd prefer stations where they have employees giving food and beverages to guests to reduce our exposure. I get more colds on cruises than in any other environemt I encounter.

Well if I go to a buffet which is very seldom because I'm not a big fan of buffets. Although DH likes them so once in a while we visit to please him.

I prefer to help myself as oppose to being served. I've been places where they serve and at each station I end up having to explain to the server how much I want. I prefer to take a little dab of this and that and have an assortment and try something before I commit to a full serving and I hate to waste food. Then if there is something that I really like I can go back and get a bigger serving. Servers at buffets either never seem to know how much a small dab is or if you ask for more they usually look at you strange.

Well if I go to a buffet which is very seldom because I'm not a big fan of buffets. Although DH likes them so once in a while we visit to please him.

I prefer to help myself as oppose to being served. I've been places where they serve and at each station I end up having to explain to the server how much I want. I prefer to take a little dab of this and that and have an assortment and try something before I commit to a full serving and I hate to waste food. Then if there is something that I really like I can go back and get a bigger serving. Servers at buffets either never seem to know how much a small dab is or if you ask for more they usually look at you strange.

You bring up an interesting point. Some ships have two identical serving stations. If they had one that was self serve and one that was full service then people would have a choice. I know which side I would line up at.:)

You bring up an interesting point. Some ships have two identical serving stations. If they had one that was self serve and one that was full service then people would have a choice. I know which side I would line up at.:)

Yup they could probably do that. Although it would mean a little higher cruise base price to cover the extra employees. But for some people's peace of mind, I'm sure it wouldn't be a big issue.

Yup they could probably do that. Although it would mean a little higher cruise base price to cover the extra employees. But for some people's peace of mind, I'm sure it wouldn't be a big issue.

This would be an interesting study to conduct on one ship to see if people actually use the full service station more than the self serve one. This would be a good start in determining if this would be something worthwhile. Perhaps they could even keep track of NV numbers and see if this occurs less on the study ship.

This would be an interesting study to conduct on one ship to see if people actually use the full service station more than the self serve one. This would be a good start in determining if this would be something worthwhile. Perhaps they could even keep track of NV numbers and see if this occurs less on the study ship.

Well they are always trying something on one ship before taking it across the board fleet wide. So they could probably just pick a ship and try it.

I do not think you are a germaphope at all. There was quite a heated thread a little while back on the "washy washy" issue. One person made the statement that he/she simple walks right by the crewmember spraying hands on the entrance to the buffet and says "no thank you". How bad is that?, worse yet they had kids and more than likely teach their children the same selfish disgusting habits. I think you have a very valid point and will follow your example, thank you.

You do know that the hand sanitizers do no good for the viruses like Norovirus, colds, flu, etc.

You do know that the hand sanitizers do no good for the viruses like Norovirus, colds, flu, etc.

It cannot do any harm; at least the passengers who use the gel are trying to be sanitary. If, as it has been stated the ones who refuse to use the sanitizers always wash their hands with soap and water just before entering the dining rooms one would think the washrooms adjacent to would have a line up. The good certainly outweighs the bad in the use of the alcohol. I still avoid the guests who perform the “walk of shame” by ignoring the well placed dispensers and will not join their party for dinner.

We can only all do our best and try and protect ourselves from the very small number of selfish passengers who, probably due to a lack of common sense or education by-pass the voluntary hand sanitizing stations. As a result they put the rest of us at risk.

It cannot do any harm; at least the passengers who use the gel are trying to be sanitary. If, as it has been stated the ones who refuse to use the sanitizers always wash their hands with soap and water just before entering the dining rooms one would think the washrooms adjacent to would have a line up. The good certainly outweighs the bad in the use of the alcohol. I still avoid the guests who perform the “walk of shame” by ignoring the well placed dispensers and will not join their party for dinner.

We can only all do our best and try and protect ourselves from the very small number of selfish passengers who, probably due to a lack of common sense or education by-pass the voluntary hand sanitizing stations. As a result they put the rest of us at risk.

You know that maybe you are the cause of spreading germs and not the people that wash their hands and not just depend on alcohol.

Hand sanitizers do very little and they dry out your hands and possible allow cracks where viruses can enter.

Why don't you put on gloves before eating? Do everything you can to protect yourself. Wear a mask.

Bet you don’t sanitize the table top before eating. You should be concerned with viruses that cause colds, flu, Noro, etc that a little hand sanitized does nothing. You do know that you need a large amount of the hand sanitizers that lasts at least 30 seconds for it to do any good?

How come you don't use common sense when posting and thinking you are better then others?

We always use a paper napking to pick up tongs or spoons in the buffet area so that we don't touch them directly with our hands.

We always use a tissue to open toilet doors as well, and are always glad to see open doors leading in and out of toilets on ships, so we don't have to touch handles.

I think you have to be sensible yourself, and take precautions, as you can't be sure what other people are doing, or how careful they are at washing hands - a perfunctory 3 second swish under a running tap is NOT washing your hands effectively, though many people seem to think it is.

Actually, though hand sanitizer is not effective with Norwalk, it is highly effective with colds, Flu, etc. Soap and water is best, but if you don't have a sink at the buffet, hand sanitizer will help prevent some nasty bugs being brought into your body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My wife is very sensitive to the alcohol in the cleaner, as am I. We wash ourselves quite well with soap and water before going to eat and politley refuse the wash station for the same reason others mentioned.

I really don't like the attitude, in this thread or in public, where refusing to do whatever Dr. Oz said is needed this week means we are Typhoid Mary.

Choosing not to use the public cleansing station does not equal being dirty or not caring.

Archived