Plumbing Issues on the Grandeur

Sure all ships have some plumbing issues from time to time but none have the continuing plumbing problems that plague the Grandeur. The problems are legendary, for years the Grandeur has had the complaints of sewage smells through out the ship and many overflowing toilets. This had led some on this forum to re name the Grandeur, "Stinky of the Seas". We have sailed on the Grandeur and noticed this problem and never again. Given all of the great ships in the market, why would anyone risk their vacation on this ship?

So sorry to hear that! Can you tell us what room you were in? We are booked on this ship in September and we also booked a higher floor because we had heard about sewage problems on the lower floors.

8579...but like I said by the 9th day it was finally getting better...lol but it was a 10 day cruise!

but I still had a blast great cruise...was our best waiter we've ever had was on this cruise....and meet alot of nice people. I know I wish people would take consideration on what happens when they flush things down that should not be!

I just know if I do ever go again...I will have numbers by my side...and also take air freshener for the bathroom.. I did use my body spray alot.

Try being quarantined in your cabin for noro, and having the toilet not flush (and no, it wasn't clogged...there was only, um, liquid waste coming out by that point :). And it taking five phone calls and about the same number of hours to get someone to fix it. And then having the same thing happen an hour or two after he left. On the bright side, we didn't have any sewer odors on the ship...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Julie, sorry you and Steve had to deal with this the whole time. As you know we were just down the hall and had no issues at all. It seems to be random. As we told you, the one problem we ever had with a toilet was onboard GR in 2009, but that was one that kept filling. Once they fixed it at 1 am, it was fine. We did get some compensation (~$125 that we applied to our next cruise) after the fact due to our comment card and the fact they were working on our toilet at 1 am while I didn't feel great and was trying to sleep. The only other toilet issues we have ever had is slow flushing (or not flushing at all). If people would quit flushing things that don't belong, there wouldn't be a problem. All it takes is one person flushing something other than toilet paper to hose up a section of the system and that's on any ship. I don't know why people don't pay attention or don't care, but it does impact others.

Well there was a message on my answer machine today from one who is in representation of Mr. Goldstein...due to my email that they are looking into my complaints and issues. That they will be getting back to me. So tomorrow I will give her a call and to see what she has to say!

Was on Grandeur for Christmas and New Years 2013. Had no problems with our cabin 7th floor aft but I did wander into 2 womens bathrooms (one being right outside of the Windjammer) with toilets overflowing. Also went on a cabin crawl and lower decks had some smell. Never noticed anything in Centrum.

We have been on the Grandeur 5 times in the last year. Only one time did we have plumbing problems and that was on the 8th floor outside. Called the maintenance number and it was fixed within a couple of hours. The other times were 7th floor balcony and 4th floor outside. We never had any sewage smells in our rooms. Thank goodness!

I posted what's below on January 24 as a response to someone's thread about Grandeur that was discussing the plumbing issues. The two sections in parentheses were just added). This was our experience.

"The Smell" It is alive and well but not constant or overwhelming. It first appeared day 5. I could smell it outside port side Promenade while walking after breakfast. Went back to our outside cabin on Deck Two port and the odor was very obvious in the port passageway. It was stronger in our stateroom - but there was minimal odor in our bathroom. The door had been closed. For us, the source was not the bathroom vents. Our incredible room attendant, Manuel, had walked by and was saying hello. We mentioned the smell. Rather than dodging the issue (or giving the company line "someone flushed..."), he freely admitted that he was aware and had reported it. About six hours later, it was gone. (In the time in between, we saw someone working in the area with a panel pulled from the passageway wall.) It reappeared on day 7, not as strong and was gone in about 4 hours. Each time it was the entire passageway and in the rooms. We never smelled it in any shared public areas.

Sewer smells in public spaces I can live with. Overflowing toilet, not so much.

I was on the Vision t/a right out of dry dock in Nov 2013 and caught a whiff of sewer just once on the aft stair tower, but the plumbing was fine.

Got my fingers crossed that Grandeur will be fine as well in my aft balcony on deck 8.

You guys are scaring me! :eek:

We're just off the Majesty and our bathroom had the sewer smell for the entire cruise. On the first day, our toilet blocked. I watched a maintenance man unblock it from the hallway. Not pretty. I felt so sorry for him. The next morning, the toilet in the cabin next to us overflowed and maintenance had to vacuum up the water and waste. Our cabin steward said that they had had major problems on the previous cruise because a passenger on our deck (10) had flushed wipes.

As I said in another post, on the Key West morning, I tried to look for a bathroom on Deck 4. Every single toilet, both women's and men's, was blocked and full of excrement. I wretched. It was disgusting.

Over the years we have had occasions to talk with hotel directors and other officers about sewage sewage issues on ships. Unanimously they explained that on ships sewage lines from toilets to sewage treatment have many bends and curves. When passengers throw into the toilets non soluble objects (especially female sanitary products that swell dramatically), blockage occurs causing back up issues. Unfortunately, there are many who believe that rules they do not like, only apply to others.

Deck 2 is a step down, they should have upgraded you to a balcony. I hope they compensated you.

Presuming that there was a balcony free. Can't upgrade to full cabins....

That's correct if that's actually the situation.

Once when we were doing B2B cruises on the Caribbean Princess we changed cabins as the previous cruise was a northern route TA so we had an inside for that itinerary. Well our new cabin, an OV, had a flood from an overflowing toilet and all the cruise line wanted to do is clean and dry out the carpet. We insisted that was not acceptable and they offered us a downgrade to an obstructed OV which was a four person cabin with the extra bunks sticking out from the side walls which was also not acceptable to us. They asked us to leave our luggage on the bed area as that part of the cabin didn't have wet carpet and later that day moved us to a extra large balcony on the caribe deck. We also got a bottle of champagne sent to us.

A few years before we had a problem on a Radiance's Hawaii cruise with sewage odor in the bathroom area of our Deck 7 forward balcony. We complained for several day to our cabin steward with no result, maintenance never did come to investigate and then the toilet started leaking into the cabin. It didn't overflow but appeared to be seeping sewage into the main part of our cabin from below the bathroom floor. I then called guest services and they sent a maintenance person, who repaired the leak and a housekeeping supervisor who said the carpet would be cleaned and dries out. I asked for another cabin and the immediate response from that supervisor, without checking, was none were available which I found surprising as this was a one way repositioning from Ensenade which didn't sell well. So we remained in that cabin with fans drying out the carpet for two day, having to unplug them at night so it would be quiet for sleeping and RCI did absolutely nothing else for us.

We learned from the above earlier Radiance cruise that one has to be some what demanding when your problems aren't attended to and your requests as an result of the problem are brushed off.

The squeaky wheel gets gets the grease.

Edited by robtulipe

Just update here...that I return the phone call to this Laura that was calling in behalf Adam Goldstein that left the message on my answer machine concerning to the email that I sent. Yesterday tried and she was not available then put on hold for the next agent 10 min and didn't get anyone was on lunch break so had to try again today, so after her not available once again and on hold for 17 min. I got someone to find out she is still not available and would give her a message that she is in a meeting. So we will see what happens.

Originally Posted by knittinggirl

Deck 2 is a step down, they should have upgraded you to a balcony. I hope they compensated you.

They did not offer upgrade and yes I felt deck 2 was a down grade. I am waiting to see what will be compensated.