A Guessing Game...... What Is Next?

sail7seas

I'm simply amazed at how some posters seem to act like charging for coffee is the end of the world. I am a 4 star mariner and I remember many, many things that were different when I first started cruising. If this was the worst thing that happened in my life I'd be overjoyed.

I've never ordered the special coffees, but I do understand the people who have lamented the new charges for them. Yes, it's just one more change, one more charge, but each one has an impact.

I'm simply amazed at how some posters seem to act like charging for coffee is the end of the world. I am a 4 star mariner and I remember many, many things that were different when I first started cruising. If this was the worst thing that happened in my life I'd be overjoyed.

It's not the money. It's just the point that it is one more amenity or nicety that is eroded.

Certainly if I can pay for a cruise I can pay for a cappuccino after dinner.

The point is, when is it going to stop? They have taken away so many of the things that made HAL special. The quality of the food is certainly not what it was, the service in the MDR is slower, wine stewards in the MDR are scarce, the ships are not being maintained as they should, I could go on and on.

I used to feel that when I sailed on HAL, they were a cut above the rest. I no longer feel that way.

Terri

It's not the money. It's just the point that it is one more amenity or nicety that is eroded.

The point is, when is it going to stop? They have taken away so many of the things that made HAL special. The quality of the food is certainly not what it was, the service in the MDR is slower, wine stewards in the MDR are scarce, the ships are not being maintained as they should, I could go on and on.

I used to feel that when I sailed on HAL, they were a cut above the rest. I no longer feel that way.

Terri

That's because they are giving the farm away to the people that wait until the minute to book and charge them $399 meanwhile gouging the people that commit early. Also maybe they should change their wine policy but there would be huge outcry about that. I really think if HAL would change their pricing policy that would go a long way to preventing these changes.

The $399 crowd does help fill the ship and does spend money on the ship. Maybe not as much as the high rollers do. They (we) serve a very sensible niche on the ships.

Haughty atitudes are not appreciated. This $399er has shore excursions and liqour pre-paid, will pay tips for that overworked staff and will add to the economies of the ports we visit.

BTW, I am not actually a $399er more like a $2,000 suite user.

Would love to know what kind of a suite you can get for $2000. I've paid that for an inside room. You must have booked late to get a deal like that. One more case of giving the farm away while others are being gouged. I for sure need to change my bookings so I can take advantage of HAL instead of getting gouged.

That's because they are giving the farm away to the people that wait until the minute to book and charge them $399 meanwhile gouging the people that commit early. Also maybe they should change their wine policy but there would be huge outcry about that. I really think if HAL would change their pricing policy that would go a long way to preventing these changes.

I agree.

I don't even drink espresso or cappuccino but I really don't like what this represents. It isn't about the coffee. :rolleyes:

Would love to know what kind of a suite you can get for $2000. I've paid that for an inside room. You must have booked late to get a deal like that. One more case of giving the farm away while others are being gouged. I for sure need to change my bookings so I can take advantage of HAL instead of getting gouged.

I think you should given all the sour grapes you seem to be eating. Don't blame me if I am smart enough to take advantage of supply and demand. HAL certainly does. It is the game of economics. They gave me the upgrade, all I did was take advantage of the buying opportunity. I actually booked before final payment and rebooked after.

Terri

I agree completely, i love HAL but the addition of turkey dinner and veggie lasagna is Carnival-esque, no crab legs, no chocolate purse.... Although the service was AMAZING (Wayan, and his assistant) (you would have thought he had an army) the menu was NOT like our last 3 HAL cruises... Im wondering if its just on the Eurodam, and Nieuw Amsterdam, or these changes are fleetwide?...

I think you should given all the sour grapes you seem to be eating. Don't blame me if I am smart enough to take advantage of supply and demand. HAL certainly does. It is the game of economics. They gave me the upgrade, all I did was take advantage of the buying opportunity. I actually booked before final payment and rebooked after.

It's VERY clear that you go gunning for me at every chance you get because you don't like the message. It's tiresome. Smart, ok let's go with that. Some of us have jobs and deadlines that we have to book around and can't pick up at the last minute. HAL needs to reward it's customer base that does commit to them early instead of people looking for the cheapest thing going. Unless they change their policies soon they are going to get burned by it.

I agree completely, i love HAL but the addition of turkey dinner and veggie lasagna is Carnival-esque, no crab legs, no chocolate purse.... Although the service was AMAZING (Wayan, and his assistant) (you would have thought he had an army) the menu was NOT like our last 3 HAL cruises... Im wondering if its just on the Eurodam, and Nieuw Amsterdam, or these changes are fleetwide?...

I'm thinking it's probably fleet wide. I haven't cruised with HAL since April but I didn't notice any changes at that time. That said, I'm usually so overjoyed to be on the ship I may be oblivious. They can't keep giving cruises away then expect that everything is going to remain the same.

totally agree:) I think Lisa (LaffnVegas) mentioned that HAL is looking at changing pricing so that early bookings will truly be reduced (sort of like Oceania and some of those). That would be a good thing IMO. doesn't seem fair that those that commit early usually end up paying more:rolleyes:

Unfortunately those that book early are not paying those lower rates and they are still paying for coffee in the MDR:confused:

For the premium paid for early booking and suite cruisers, its horrible. I pay a premium, book early then get punished for early booking, when hal throws out $1699 rates at 89 days, for SC guarantee (and we all know those aft lovers pick do not upgrade) so someone who paid $2500 for 7 days, gets the same as someone paying $1699 and that person gets upgraded to SA....(because there are so many SA). . My experience with HAL in last 4 cruises all suites. (All Caribbean)

Also, the coupon book that we were given was the same as first time cruisers, and we are almost 3 star....

We love HAL but some bad choices are being made.

It's VERY clear that you go gunning for me at every chance you get because you don't like the message. It's tiresome. Smart, ok let's go with that. Some of us have jobs and deadlines that we have to book around and can't pick up at the last minute. HAL needs to reward it's customer base that does commit to them early instead of people looking for the cheapest thing going. Unless they change their policies soon they are going to get burned by it.

Not gunning for you, you are the one who put down people for taking the bargains. Don't blame us, blame HAL if you want. You are coming across as snobbish, lorekauf, if that isn't your intention then I apologize, otherwise it does sound like sour grapes. I have nothing against you personally, I just don't care for the characterizations of the $399'ers you portray. Who in this world doesn't look for the best deals.

I'm thinking it's probably fleet wide. I haven't cruised with HAL since April but I didn't notice any changes at that time. That said, I'm usually so overjoyed to be on the ship I may be oblivious. They can't keep giving cruises away then expect that everything is going to remain the same.

I was hoping it was just the larger ships...

:(

For the premium paid for early booking and suite cruisers, its horrible. I pay a premium, book early then get punished for early booking, when hal throws out $1699 rates at 89 days, for SC guarantee (and we all know those aft lovers pick do not upgrade) so someone who paid $2500 for 7 days, gets the same as someone paying $1699 and that person gets upgraded to SA....(because there are so many SA). . My experience with HAL in last 4 cruises all suites. (All Caribbean)

Also, the coupon book that we were given was the same as first time cruisers, and we are almost 3 star....

We love HAL but some bad choices are being made.

Agree. Sure hope Lisa is right. It's not a good way to treat LOYAL customers. I have 2 cruises booked for next year. While I'm commited to the February one I might just cancel the Oct one and book after final payment so I can pay half the price and get a free ride for a change;).

We understand and agree, we have to book min a year out :(

Only got lucky 6 months out once...

I'll be interested to see how it is on the NA next Sunday. That said, the last ship I was on was the Veendam and the food was good.

Oh its amazing food! The quality very good. Just i have sailed carnival and turkey dinner and veggie lasagna are two of the staples they offer. Last 3 cruises menu was much nicer.

If you all think that is bad, wait until HAL does what Carnival is doing and gives away all the suite perks (except for the Neptune Lounge) for $50.00. Now if I were a four star Mariner or regularly booked suites that would really make me mad.

Actually surfer, it is even better than that. I up purchased my balcony to SZ for $799 pp and was then moved up to SC GTY.

Not gunning for you, you are the one who put down people for taking the bargains. Don't blame us, blame HAL if you want. You are coming across as snobbish, lorekauf, if that isn't your intention then I apologize, otherwise it does sound like sour grapes. I have nothing against you personally, I just don't care for the characterizations of the $399'ers you portray. Who in this world doesn't look for the best deals.

That is not my intention. How would you like paying $3200 for a room that people got for $2200? It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm all about getting a bargain but I don't like it when others get it consistently off my ( and others) back. Every time I post on a thread you have something nasty to say about me and it's not appreciated. I am blaming HAL. They are doing the wrong thing and they need to wake up an realize that they are p****** off people that support them the most. Do you honestly believe that people are going to blow a wad of cash when they book a $399 cruise? If you do, I think I have some swamp land to sell you.

If you all think that is bad, wait until HAL does what Carnival is doing and gives away all the suite perks (except for the Neptune Lounge) for $50.00. Now if I were a four star Mariner or regularly booked suites that would really make me mad.

Actually surfer, it is even better than that. I up purchased my balcony to SZ for $799 pp and was then moved up to SC GTY.

That happens we will probably stop booking suite cruises, will stick to land and our twice a year mini cruises. Hal will lose us.

"Every time I post on a thread you have something nasty to say about me and it's not appreciated."

Other than what I had to say on this page when have I been "nasty" toward you? I'm not trying to start a flame war. I told you I apoligize if you did not mean to insult others. I'm saying don't blame passengers for taking advantage of the bargains.

Yes, I have advantages, I live in Florida. I have retired early. I have paid full price all of my life. If the opportunity comes along to save money I will do so.

Just because someone takes advantage of a deal doesn't mean that they won't spend money. Now let's kiss and make up or shake hands, whatever it is you do.:)

Archived