How lost were you aboard ship

derf5585

One of the advantages to being a returning passenger on Princess (or other lines, I suppose) is that the ships tend to have similar layouts. With rare exception, the Star, Golden, and Grand were very similar, and DH and I felt "at home" almost immediately boarding the latter two vessels after our initial venture on the Star.

That said, we knew that the Caribbean Princess had an additional deck and that there were some alterations on Lido Deck (Horizon/Cafe Caribe area). Still, we felt comfortable from the moment we boarded and soon found ourselves offering directions to newcomers. As our voyage progressed, we discovered a few other anomalies in the layout of this mega-ship, but, overall, the Princess design is evident.

It's nice to feel welcome and familiar with the ship - almost as if we're visiting the home of friends we haven't seen for a while. We're soon able to make ourselves comfortable and don't have to waste precious time learning how to navigate the ship. It will be great fun for us to go back on the Caribbean Princess next January as we've never sailed a ship twice.

Fun topic, Derf!

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I've never had a problem on a Princess ship, but the SS Norway was difficult to "navigate" (pun intended). We could never find our dining room and the disco was almost impossible to find without a map.

On the CP, the biggest two bummers (and this comes from a guy whose real job is to design things so that they are easy to use) were not being able to tell port from starboard in the hallways without reading the signs. Color-coding the carpet would work, i.e red side, blue side. The other was that there were a few elevators that pointed the wrong way, so if you always took an elevator and turned left, now you need to turn right. For extra credit, color-code the elevator banks (forward, mid, aft).

Getting to Skywalkers was an adventure the first time, but well worth it.

First time we cruised on the Grand. Read all about colors of carpet (DH thought I was really smart :D) but would get turned around ocassionally and find ourselves forward instead of aft - this would happen mostly when ship was docked. As long as she was moving, we were in pretty good shape:D

This time on the Star we had it mostly down pat as both ships are much the same.:) I still get confused tho when I am on the deck with the Calypso pool,

HC, etc. Always seem to go the wrong way even when ship is moving:D

That includes drinking and not drinking. Think we will try the Golden next time, so hope that the third time is a charm. You meet some fun people when you are lost :D

I tend to get hopelessly lost on cruise ships. Often I can't even tell the front from the back. Hubby is better, but he walks head down studying the little map of the ship. On our first Princess cruise (on the Grand) we sailed with friends we met here on CC. They really knew their way around and would always point us in the right direction. They also pointed out the different color carpets on each side of the ship so we could find our way as we left the elevators. They showed us how to find the mini golf course, the lap pool and a short cut to Skywalkers. When we cruised on the Diamond this spring everyone thought we were the experts. ;)

Laura

The Norway deserves a special award of merit for utterly confounding layout; it stems from its legacy as a two-class liner rather than being purpose-built for single-class cruising. If you think the elevator situation is bad on modern liners, go back 40+ years, through several refits and a major deck addition, and you'll just cringe.

Eric

Toto2Kansas....have to agree with you. First time on the Grand Class the Mrs. and I were completley lost.....so much so at first that we would stop at every deck by the lifts to get an idea(yea right) of where we were headed.

Elevators and stairways that don't go to all decks have been especially effective in getting me headed in the wrong direction. I recently sat patiently for several minutes in one of the ship's main show lounges, wondering where the naturalist and everybody else was and why-the-heck the waiters were trying to serve me drinks before I realized that I was in the aft lounge instead of forward.:o

My 8 year old daughter and I were on the Caribbean Princess for our first cruise this past October. On about the 3rd day, my daughter said that she finally knew how to get to our cabin - she said this as she walked right past our cabin. The couple in the cabin next to ours was in the hallway, and got a good laugh!

On our recent trip on the Golden I turned the wrong way as I came out of the elevator. Our cabin was right at the end of the corridor so it was already a bit of a hike to get there. I tried to insert my card into the door to no effect so complained to the nearby cabin steward, whom I thought must be new as I didn't recognize him. I actually argued with him that this was my cabin and the door card must be faulty. Only when he pointed out the number on the door did I finally realise what I had done. It was a heck of a long walk right to the other end on the ship, especially with a red face!

I've got to agree with the others who've commented on how confusing the Grand Princess can be. I do study the layouts in the brochures before sailing and usually never get lost on a ship after the first day. WOW! Nothing prepared me for the Grand! :eek: DH and I were still getting turned around on the last day of the cruise. Oh well, if I have to get lost - it might as well be on a cruise ship! :p

Elf

• 2 weeks later...
Have you ever got really lost on a cruise ship? Ended up where you weren't supposed to go. Ended up on the "Funnel Deck" (on Carnival). Have to ask someone where you are. Wish you brought your GPS.

Found yourself SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN whilst the ship was out to sea???

I have to agree with Ohio .. the kids will definitely know their way around quickly. I've just given up trying to memorize where everything is....part of the fun is just kind of wandering around discovering new things!!!

I usually get a good feel for the decks quickly. Like what another poster mentioned, I like to take a good look at the plans before boarding and then I explore right after I get on (and eat) to see where things are. I actually end up helping strangers find areas/staterooms on the ship (and that's excluding the passengers who have mistaken me for crew). My dad doesn't have as easy of a time though, I usually have to direct him around when it's time for dinner.. or a show.. or if he needs to get back to the room lol

Archived