Need help with saving money on Pride Dec 2,2012

richraven

We'll be going on our 2nd cruise from Baltimore on December 2nd. Our first was a disaster because our son was 1 1/2 years old and miserable because he barely ate, had to be in bed by 8, and no activities. He's now an active 3 1/2 year old and can't wait to go.

We would love to visit Disney when we stop in Port Canaveral. Does anyone have advice on how to save money. I noticed that the cruiesline says you don't have to pay for a 3 year old ( lap child ) for the excursion but when I check Disney's website I notice the 3 and older must buy tickets. I would hate to book through Carnival and still have to pay for my son at the park.

Also any advice on the what to do when we get to the Bahamas with children?

We'll be going on our 2nd cruise from Baltimore on December 2nd. Our first was a disaster because our son was 1 1/2 years old and miserable because he barely ate, had to be in bed by 8, and no activities. He's now an active 3 1/2 year old and can't wait to go.

We would love to visit Disney when we stop in Port Canaveral. Does anyone have advice on how to save money. I noticed that the cruiesline says you don't have to pay for a 3 year old ( lap child ) for the excursion but when I check Disney's website I notice the 3 and older must buy tickets. I would hate to book through Carnival and still have to pay for my son at the park.

Also any advice on the what to do when we get to the Bahamas with children?

You will definitely have to buy a ticket for a 3 year old to get into the park.

As another poster said it is going to be a long day with a lot of hustle and bustle.

You'll have to be very early to get ready, have your breakfast and be off asap.

You'll probably only be at the park until about 4 pm since the ship sets sail at 6pm.

Very hard to find any discounts for Disney.

For Nassau you have Astrada Gardens Zoo

the Pirate Museum or if you want to go to a beach you can go to The British Colonial Hilton for the day and get a day pass. It is about a 10 minute walk from the ship.

Bill

At 3 years old, your son won't know the difference if you only take him to the Disney Marketplace and hotels and not into one of the parks. It will save you BIG BUCKS. We did this in January 2012 with our 2.5 year old. Here how:

We skipped the Carnival bus, because I knew it would be faster and cheaper to go on our own. We rented a car in Port Canaveral (reserved in advance, I "splurged" on a mini van) and brought our own car seat. In order for everything to run smoothly, we did a bit of divide and conquer. I was up and off the ship as soon as we docked to catch the shuttle to the car rental. The rest of my party got up a bit later and had breakfast, then got off the ship. By that time, I'd picked up the van, and driven back to the port to pick up the rest of our party and install the car seat. We drove the approx 1.5 hrs to downtown Disney.

Our son was THRILLED with the stores, the fountains, the characters, the toys. After lunch (Wolfgang Puck Cafe) and ice cream (Ghiradelli) we drove to the Contemporary resort. (Hint: if you tell the parking money collectors at the entrance to Transportation and Ticketing that you are visiting a hotel, you don't pay parking.) Then we took the monorail (OMG! A TRAIN!!) all the way around, getting out for a few minutes at each stop, and walked around the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary hotels.

At this point, DS is WAY past due for his nap, so we load back into the car and he passes out immediately for the 1.5 hrs back to port. Again, I drop everyone off at the ship to return the car, and catch the 2nd to last shuttle back to the ship. In a time pinch, I'd have been able to take a taxi easily.

Although this approach required more advance planning, it was not difficult, was very fun, and saved us a LOT of money.

6717366889_6ca0f35c4e_z.jpg

At 3 years old, your son won't know the difference if you only take him to the Disney Marketplace and hotels and not into one of the parks. It will save you BIG BUCKS. We did this in January 2012 with our 2.5 year old. Here how:

We skipped the Carnival bus, because I knew it would be faster and cheaper to go on our own. We rented a car in Port Canaveral (reserved in advance, I "splurged" on a mini van) and brought our own car seat. In order for everything to run smoothly, we did a bit of divide and conquer. I was up and off the ship as soon as we docked to catch the shuttle to the car rental. The rest of my party got up a bit later and had breakfast, then got off the ship. By that time, I'd picked up the van, and driven back to the port to pick up the rest of our party and install the car seat. We drove the approx 1.5 hrs to downtown Disney.

Our son was THRILLED with the stores, the fountains, the characters, the toys. After lunch (Wolfgang Puck Cafe) and ice cream (Ghiradelli) we drove to the Contemporary resort. (Hint: if you tell the parking money collectors at the entrance to Transportation and Ticketing that you are visiting a hotel, you don't pay parking.) Then we took the monorail (OMG! A TRAIN!!) all the way around, getting out for a few minutes at each stop, and walked around the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary hotels.

At this point, DS is WAY past due for his nap, so we load back into the car and he passes out immediately for the 1.5 hrs back to port. Again, I drop everyone off at the ship to return the car, and catch the 2nd to last shuttle back to the ship. In a time pinch, I'd have been able to take a taxi easily.

Although this approach required more advance planning, it was not difficult, was very fun, and saved us a LOT of money.

6717366889_6ca0f35c4e_z.jpg

OMG thank you. You just saved us a lot of money. What a wonderful idea.

general tips to save money:

don't drink or gamble (no bingo!)

use cash for spending

stay out of the paid dining rooms

bring food to port, rather than buying food (boxed cereal) or go back to ship for lunch.

Take your own pictures/ask people to take pictures of your family rather than buying them

Buy stuff before hand. A toy from target will be cheaper than from the ship gift shop. Check out Target dollar spot for fun stuff. They have Disney related stuff as well.

It's easy to spend money, but it's just as easy to say no and not spend money.

You won't have much time, for the price you'll pay. The Magic Kingdom takes AT LEAST 8-10 hours....and even then, you won't see it all!

Disneyworld is best done as a land vacation...you need several days! And, waiting until your child is older is best....at 3-4, they just don't "get" the magic that is Disney! If you wait until they are 6 and up, they will REALLY enjoy it....right now, it's a melt-down waiting to happen!

Archived