International Flight Question - MIA airport

linkinsama

My husband and I are flying from Cincinnati/CVG to Punta Cana, DR with a layover in MIA.

I wasn't thinking and booked a flight that has only 40 mins until the connection.

Does anyone know if there's any additional security at MIA when catching an international flight? I know you're supposed to arrive earlier for international flights but am hoping that's just on the first leg. I'm worried about only having 40 mins to get from one flight to the next and am hoping there are no security checkpoints/lines to deal with.

This is on American Airlines if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

American has a very large operation at Miami as it is their main hub for international flights to the Caribbean and South America. American is located on the North side of the airport terminal with multiple concourses. 40 minutes might be tight but you will not have to leave the secrue area to change flights.

American has a very large operation at Miami as it is their main hub for international flights to the Caribbean and South America. American is located on the North side of the airport terminal with multiple concourses. 40 minutes might be tight but you will not have to leave the secrue area to change flights.

That is a huge relief, thanks so much. I know it'll be tight, but I don't think we'd even have a chance if we had to go thru security. I'm really kicking myself for not booking a US Airways flight thru Charlotte!

That is a huge relief, thanks so much. I know it'll be tight, but I don't think we'd even have a chance if we had to go thru security. I'm really kicking myself for not booking a US Airways flight thru Charlotte!

I looked up your flights yesterday and there were quite a few to choose from. Next time I would pick flights with longer connections. There were some from what I could see.

Keith

That is a huge relief, thanks so much. I know it'll be tight

I don't want you to worry...but I don't think the reservation system should have allowed you to book this connection. Last time I checked the published minimum connection time (mct) for a domestic to international flight for AA was 45 minutes.

My concern for you if that the mct is indeed 40 minutes, should you miss your flight, they might stick you with a change fee.

If it were me- I would call American and ask them what is the current published mct for a Domestic to International flight is for MIA.

There are 3-4 daily direct flights to Punta Cana from MIA, so if you do miss, you should be able to get the next flight. Be aware that the flight that goes to Punta Cana via Puerto Rico have terrible layover times.

My last concern is you might make the flight but your bags may not. Pack 1 days worth of clothes and toiletries in your carry-on (always good advice regardless of type of flight) or don't check bags if possible.

Regardless of airline or destination I try not book connections of less than 1.5 hours. I'd rather sip a cocktail at a bar than stress over a connection :D

Good Luck, please report back your results.

I don't want you to worry...but I don't think the reservation system should have allowed you to book this connection. Last time I checked the published minimum connection time (mct) for a domestic to international flight for AA was 45 minutes.

My concern for you if that the mct is indeed 40 minutes, should you miss your flight, they might stick you with a change fee.

If it were me- I would call American and ask them what is the current published mct for a Domestic to International flight is for MIA.

There are 3-4 daily direct flights to Punta Cana from MIA, so if you do miss, you should be able to get the next flight. Be aware that the flight that goes to Punta Cana via Puerto Rico have terrible layover times.

My last concern is you might make the flight but your bags may not. Pack 1 days worth of clothes and toiletries in your carry-on (always good advice regardless of type of flight) or don't check bags if possible.

Regardless of airline or destination I try not book connections of less than 1.5 hours. I'd rather sip a cocktail at a bar than stress over a connection :D

Good Luck, please report back your results.

Good info, hopefully the OP will take your advice and check with AA.

Archived