Looking for Caribbean port suggestions

mjthecruiser

My DH and I are very excited to be going on our first Windstar cruise on the Wind Surf this January. We are stopping at Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, Soper's Hole, Tortola, Jost Van Dyke Great Harbour, Virgin Gorda, Prickly Pear Beach, and Gustavia, St. Barthelemy.

Does anyone have suggestions for things we should do in these ports? We are mainly interested in beach lounging and snorkeling. Are the beaches in walking distance? If not, what is the best way to get to them?

Do people generally get off the ships in port or enjoy the ship?

Thanks in advance for any hints you can give us.

You are in for a real treat! Here are my suggestions based on a few visits to these places:

Falmouth Harbour, Antigua: Definitely visit Nelson's Dockyard, you might be able to walk from Falmouth Harbour, if not, its a short taxi ride. English Harbour has some nice bars and restaurants. I like the Admiral's Inn for a drink -- very traditional.

Soper's Hole, Tortola: No good beach in walking distance but a taxi ride will take you to either Smugglers Cove or Cane Garden Bay.

Jost Van Dyke Great Harbour: Walk or take a short taxi ride to White Bay for a great day of beach bar hopping and swimming. Finish off at Foxy's

Virgin Gorda, Prickly Pear Beach: Sounds like a beach bbq day.

Gustavia, St. Barthelemy: You can walk from the port to Shell Beach (about 15 minutes). THere is a nice restaurant at Shell Beach called Do Brazil My favourite beach is St. Jean's Bay where you can walk to some great bars and people watch -- you have to take a taxi.

Have fun!

$US dollars should be fine for all the ports (taxis take cash). They will probably ask you if you want them to come back at a certain time. Or they might give you their cell number. You won't need to prearrange a cab back to the ship on Jost Van Dyke. The only place where taxis are not in great supply is on St. Barts. So, make sure you arrange a pick up if you do take one out to St. Jean Bay. If you are going to Shell Beach, you won't need a cab.

My DH and I are very excited to be going on our first Windstar cruise on the Wind Surf this January. We are stopping at Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, Soper's Hole, Tortola, Jost Van Dyke Great Harbour, Virgin Gorda, Prickly Pear Beach, and Gustavia, St. Barthelemy.

Does anyone have suggestions for things we should do in these ports? We are mainly interested in beach lounging and snorkeling. Are the beaches in walking distance? If not, what is the best way to get to them?

Do people generally get off the ships in port or enjoy the ship?

Thanks in advance for any hints you can give us.

MJ,

We are on the same itinerary. Which date will you be sailing on?

Archived