Portable Clothes Steamer

CSloan

I'm looking at buying a portable clothes steamer to take to Alaska, just to get the wrinkles out as I unpack.

Has anyone bought one lately? Any suggestions?

I really don't want to go to the laundry room to iron.

I recently bought a steamer at Powell's Bookstore in Portland, Oregon. They have a travel gadget section. It is made by "Lewis & Clark," and it's okay (my old Norelco was better, but I couldn't find one like it anywhere).

We bought one a couple of years ago and have used it on two cruises with satisfactory results. First shopped online at magellans.com and then bought a very similar one at a local store; noted that our steamer had to be held upright or would leak, so we had to find places to hang clothes near our cabin electrical outlet (in one case, a sprinkler head on the ceiling -- not recommending this! ;) )

We intended to also try the fabric relaxant / wrinkle releaser spray, but didn't get around to buying any. Many people seem to recommend it.

I got tired of trying to travel with a steamer that drips and somehow all of the water never gets out and even though I double ziplock the thing I get water in my suitcase. So we have swiched to the wrinkle releaser. We love it. It really works. If I do have a fabric that doesn't do well with the releaser I just run a hot shower and let the clothes hang in the bathroom. It's amazing how hot the water can get. I think the dial turns all the way to a lava setting.

I bought one at a local store. It is very compact and uses tap water. It works really well and we use it quite a bit. However, I do find myself using the laundry service on the ship more and more. I now pack most of DHs shirts, slacks and my dressess unironed. It is so reasonable to have them pressed on board.

Archived