Taking Alcohol Home For A Souvenir via Princess Cruises

Andos

Hi,

me and DW are visiting Curacao in December 2012 and have a distillery shore excursion booked. We are hoping to take home a souvenir bottle of this liquor from this famous factory. However, we are a little unsure as to whether we would be allowed to bring liquor back onboard the ship.

Although this bottle will not be for consumption, we are unclear of how this will be treated under the Princess policy. Will they not allow it onboard or will they confiscate it and return it to us at the end of our cruise?

Has anyone ever taken alcohol home from a shore cruise? If so, how did Princess deal with this?

Rgds,

Andos.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The Princess policy is they will collect the bottle at the gangway when you are reboarding. They will hold it and return it to you the last evening.

In practice, Princess rarely takes any alcohol. Most likely you will just carry it thru security without anyone saying a word.

Either way, you will be able to take it home with you. Remember if you are flying, the bottle must be in your checked luggage.

We went to the Curacao distillery tour in Nov. last year, and when we returned to the ship they noticed the bottle we had bought there in our bag as it went through the scanner. They told us to go over to a table where the bottle was taken and we were told it would be returned to us on the last evening. It was in our cabin late afternoon of the last day. No problems. Like previous poster said, put it in your checked luggage for the flight home.

I really liked Curacao. You will get the chance to taste all the different flavours of Curacao liquor on the tour. Our favourite was the original. Have a great cruise.

We did the Curacao Distillery Tour 2 years ago and brought back 2 full-size bottles and also the small 5-bottle Souvenir Pack of all the curacao colors they make there. We did not attempt to hide our purchase and were allowed to take all the bottles straight to our cabin.

I can't say this will be your experience, but it was ours. We would've had no problem with Princess holding the bottles until the end of the cruise, but since they did not, we just went back to our cabin and packed 'em up in bubble wrap for the trip home!

BTW - you will love the tour, and the curacao is MUCH stronger than you might think - nothing like we can purchase here in the States. ENJOY!!!

Smooth Sailing! :):)

Hi all,

many thanks for your prompt replies. You were all able to put my mind at rest. The idea of the souvenir pack sounds the most appealing.

What was the quantity of alcohol contained within the souvenir pack? I am now curious because of the alcohol limit allowed to take back to the UK.

Andos.

Hi all,

many thanks for your prompt replies. You were all able to put my mind at rest. The idea of the souvenir pack sounds the most appealing.

What was the quantity of alcohol contained within the souvenir pack? I am now curious because of the alcohol limit allowed to take back to the UK.

Andos.

The Souvenir Pack contains 5 small bottles of 50mls each. The alcohol content of the curacao is 31% :eek:!! Though there are five different colors, they all have the same flavor (traditional orange). We were told on our tour/visit that the only curacao they made that had a different taste was the Rum-Raisin,

But - after 3 or 4 shots of the traditional stuff - who could tell?? :D:D

Enjoy your tour. It was great fun.

Smooth Sailing!! :)

Archived