On-Board Silver Whisper: FLL-BGI

Stumblefoot

We're ready to set sail. 130 Venetians out of a total passenger list of 302. Feels full!

The Captain is Luigi Rutigliano.

2 formal nights (Sun. and Tues.)

3 informal nights (Mon., Fri., Sat.)

4 casual nights

They said Thanksgiving will be a BBQ. We said, "Huh?". LOL. We shall see what fun is in store!

Hi all! Finally found a wi-fi connection (albeit slow) in order to provide an update.

First off, we are having a wonderful time! We enjoyed meeting Chet, Jaci, and their respective family and friends. All are really super nice people.

According to the reception desk, the numbers they originally gave me were in error. We have 382 passengers, so that is probably why it felt so full to me initially. The first night and day at sea were a bit rough on most. Although the swells were not large (7 - 8 ft.), their length was so long that we felt like a porpoise going up & down for the better of 36 hours. Once we reached Tortola, all has been fine.

The food has been very good to excellent. Le Champagne was near perfection the night we dined and La Terrazza was a very, very close second. The restaurant has also been good and we're looking forward to a traditional Thanksgiving feast tonight prepared by one of the grand chefs from Relais & Chateaux right down to the giblet gravy.

For those that like wine, there are some real bargains to be had from the Connoisseur list, especially those from Italy. We've enjoyed Antinori's '07 Tenuta Guado al Tasso at a 34% discount to original retail, as well as the French Tardieu-Laurent's '07 Burgundian Hermitage at over half off. Even the '00 Pol Roger Champagne sported a stunning 48% discount. Tonight, it's all about finding the perfect Chardonnay to compliment the Thanksgiving feast and the choices have been narrowed to the Italian '08 Jermann Dreams, the Australian '08 Leeuwin Estates "Art Series", and the American '08 Beringer Private Reserve. My mouth is watering as I type.

Unfortunately, I have yet to meet Ms. Bettridge. She has not been introduced at any of the events we have attended, and we've not spotted her at the restaurants we've dined in, or at the pool, or our tours. I have confirmed she is indeed onboard. But, obviously keeping a low profile. Totally understandable as this is her vacation too.

What children there are onboard (maybe a half dozen in total) have all been exemplary and I believe our daughter is the only teenager I've seen. As you can imagine, she is enjoying being spoiled by the staff and our butler arranged an absolutely fantastic surprise for her birthday celebrated on our voyage.

Speaking of the Butler, I must say, I am very impressed by his service. No request is too large and is always greeted with pleasure.

That's all for now. We set sail at 11:00p.m. tonight from St. Kitts and head for St. John's, Antigua.

Thank you for the update, Stumblefoot. Sounds like you're having a good time. I hope your Thanksgiving dinner was a very special event - and that you were able to make the tough decision on the wine! Was dinner the BBQ originally announced, or a dining room affair?

If Ms. Bettridge hasn't been introduced yet, you should be able to contact her through the reception desk. She is probably on this cruise to meet with staff and crew, and review onboard life firsthand. If you make your request now, you'll have more of a chance of being included in her schedule in the days ahead. I'm sure she'd like to meet with you and will appreciate the effort you've made.

Thank you for seeking out comments from past passengers and compiling the feedback. We all hope you'll have your meeting with Ms. Bettridge and look forward to hearing from you. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Echo Seafairer's Thank You Stumblefoot. Appreciate your taking the time to give us a wonderful Whisper update and your positive oenophilist perspective of the available Connoisseur list wines. Hopes for Fairer winds and Following winds for the Whisper--enjoy.

Interested Seafairer you went for a chardonnay as opposed to a light red or as I prefer a more robust red such as the Hermitage you mentioned. We had a Chateau-Neuf-de-Papes, admittedly at home so the exchequer was not emptied. BTW I agree, Antinori makes some of the very best Italian wines and I seek them out whenever possible.

Was dinner the BBQ originally announced, or a dining room affair?
They actually ended up having both celebrations. The BBQ setup looked like a lot of fun, but we opted for tradition instead.

From what I was told, they weren't quite prepared for the dining room affair of Thanksgiving. When we showed up for dinner, they were absolutely slammed and the service was the slowest we ever experienced. In fact, our server saw us at breakfast the next day and apologized. He said it was the worst service he'd ever personally delivered during his 5 years with Silversea and was embarrassed. We let him know that he did just fine and we enjoyed ourselves immensely as we were in no hurry and enjoyed the fun crowd of Aussies and Brits that were in our section celebrating their "new" American tradition.

If Ms. Bettridge hasn't been introduced yet, you should be able to contact her through the reception desk. She is probably on this cruise to meet with staff and crew, and review onboard life firsthand. If you make your request now, you'll have more of a chance of being included in her schedule in the days ahead. I'm sure she'd like to meet with you and will appreciate the effort you've made.
Your suggestion was excellent. Unfortunately, we never made contact though. I'll post my plans in the other thread shortly.

You're right Seafairer:rolleyes: Stumblefoot, I'm still interested.
My DW and I enjoy a wide range of wines. But, for Thanksgiving, we absolutely seek out big, oaky, chardonnays that offer a mouth feel similar to a voluptuous pinot. And, boy did we find one in the Beringer '08 Private Reserve this year.

I'd say it is drinking at its peak right now. Wine Spectator said it best in their review of the wine; "Big, ripe and complex, with full-bodied apple, melon, pear and citrus notes that gain depth and turn creamy in texture, picking up a dash of anise and cedar on the finish. 92 points." While I didn't notice cedar on the finish, I will say the way the finish cut through the liberal use of sage by the Silversea chef had us begging us for more.

When the wine was released in 2010, it retailed for $37/USD. Silversea offered it at $50/USD. Not a deal by any stretch of the imagination, but a fair price nonetheless.

For those that like wine... the French Tardieu-Laurent's '07 Burgundian Hermitage at over half off.
Shame on me. Someone should have smacked me upside the head with that comment.

Tardieu-Laurent is not from Burgundy, but rather from the Northern Rhône. Regardless, the wine was lovely and its subtle scent of spiced rum cake was a perfect fit for our Caribbean voyage.

Archived