Riviera Deck 8 Cabin Location question

edgee

DW and I are experienced cruisers, but will be new to Oceania. We will be booking the Riviera in February and are considering A-4 category on deck 8. Choice is between cabins forward not far from the Concierge Lounge and laundry or Aft just a few cabins from the far back of the ship. On larger ships I have often heard engine vibration in cabins near the back of the ship. while cabins near the front tend to avoid that problem. So, the question is, will I feel more engine vibration at the back of the ship on Riviera and also, if I choose to be at the front of the ship will traffic from the laundry and the Concierge Lounge create any undo noise? Thanks for any advice!

While I have not been on Deck 8 on Riviera, I have been in 9026 right across from the Concierge Lounge (which is on Deck 9, and should not impact Deck 8) and just a few feet from the Deck 9 laundry. I considered it an ideal position and would book it again if I were choosing an A4 cabin. There was no noise, little traffic, and the convenience of being able to step out of the door and get an early morning coffee for my DW, or an extra soda for me, was fabulous. The laundry on any deck does not interfere with any nearby cabins; you're hard-presed to remember it's there.

At the same time, I have been closer to the stern on Deck 7 (7108) on Marina and very close to the stern on deck on Deck 11 (11076) on Riviera and have never felt any vibration on either. I can say that there seemed to be a resonance from the crew elevator that transferred to the structure of 7108, but it only occurred with any regularity in the late morning when the stewardesses were moving laundry, and was bearable. It did not seem to affect any of the nearby cabins. This was on Marina's Maiden Voyage and may have been corrected since.

We also had friends in 7135 on Riviera (as far back in the aft corner as you can get), and spent several hours on their deck during sail-aways (when the ship is accelerating and would be most prone to vibration), and never felt any.

Marina and Riviera are remarkably comfortable and stable sailers, and I can't think of any bad staterooms.

So far, we've spent 34 days on Marina and 20 days on Riviera.

[quote name=hondorner;36111644

We also had friends in 7135 on Riviera (as far back in the aft corner as you can get)' date=' and spent several hours on their deck during sail-aways (when the ship is accelerating and would be most prone to vibration), and never felt any.[/quote]

We sometimes felt the vibration in 7130 (similar location to 7135).

We sometimes felt the vibration in 7130 (similar location to 7135).

I don't think that Hondorner meant to suggest that there was absence of ANY Vibrations, but that (particularly on the Riviera) they don't generally rise to a level that is uncomfortable or jarring.

070957.jpg Those aft staterooms have amazing views, and on deck 7 the verandas are HUGE, but you have to be realistic about the fact that you are on a ship.

We are Don and Jim's friends who have had 7135 on both marina and riviera. Yes, there is some shuttering in those cabins when arriving into port, but not once under way. We are now on Riviera in 11061, just forward of the aft elevators and I did not notice any vibration or shuttering upon arrival in Cadiz on Saturday. Our next port is tomorrow in the Canary Islands. I will report back if I notice the same vibration upon arrival that we experienced on our earlier trips. Right now riviera is riding quite smoothly with fairly calm seas...no white caps in sight.

We are Don and Jim's friends who have had 7135 on both marina and riviera. Yes, there is some shuttering in those cabins when arriving into port, but not once under way.

Exactly the case in Riviera 7130. Only a significant problem during one early morning port arrival. Assume shuddering?

I don't think that Hondorner meant to suggest that there was absence of ANY Vibrations, but that (particularly on the Riviera) they don't generally rise to a level that is uncomfortable or jarring.

070957.jpg Those aft staterooms have amazing views, and on deck 7 the verandas are HUGE, but you have to be realistic about the fact that you are on a ship.

Thanks for posting this wonderful photo. By the time of our cruise a few months ago, O had added a couple of extra chaise lounges for the rear portion of the deck.

Archived