Queen Elizabeth - Haifa

bobby1119

According to the Cunard website the QE was in Izmir on Monday,at sea on Tuesday and docked in Haifa on Wednesday and Thursday.

We were due to go on this cruise but had to cancel at the last minute due to ill health so would be interested to know if people were able to take planned tours from Haifa.Looks as if all the trouble in Israel is in the south and a long way from Jerusalem.

Does anyone know?

Cunard UK website is not updated. If you look at Cunard Germany it is current. http://www.cunard.de/fleet/QE/livebilder_qe.php

The best way to check a ship's positin is on Live Ships Map.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=10&mmsi=310625000&centerx=33.02003100&centery=34.65519000

QE was shown in Rhodes ans Antalya on the last two ports.

According to http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-elizabeth/

QE is currently docked in Haifa. The ship webcam is operational.

(Having never been to either Limassol or Haifa, I am unable to identify the port shown on the QE webcam which states the ship is docked in Haifa.)

Don't think the new web site is being updated. Marine tracker shows

Time (UTC) Position Port

2012-11-22 05:19 Arrival LIMASSOL

2012-11-20 05:40 Arrival RHODES

2012-11-19 15:07 Departure IZMIR

It looks as if Rhodes was substituted for Haifa. Probably necessary with all the rockets flying around plus the bus bombing. Perhaps the new cease fire will hold and enable the local population to live in peace for a while and enable a call next time,

Thanks for this. Looks as if the German Cunard website is up to date and the UK one is full of misinformation.

As this cruise was called the 'Holyland Explorer' and has not visited Israel does anyone know if people are likely to receive some sort of refund from Cunard.

We had booked private tours for both days with a local company who kindly have not charged us.

We hope to recoup the cost of the cruise from our insurance company as I was not fit to travel.

Thanks for this. Looks as if the German Cunard website is up to date and the UK one is full of misinformation.

As this cruise was called the 'Holyland Explorer' and has not visited Israel does anyone know if people are likely to receive some sort of refund from Cunard.

Why would anyone expect or even ask for a refund because their cruise was diverted away from an active war zone where there was daily bombings??? That just boggles my mind...

War, insurrections or riots are not covered by any insurance policies that I've even seen. I highly doubt that Cunard would provide any refunds or additional compensation to passengers, other then passing along a reduction in port fees.

I bow to your greater knowledge on these matters than me however the whole point of the voyage was to visit the Holyland and if the ship was unable to visit Israel for whatever reason then I would expect to be compensated.If you like for breach of contract,it is fortunate that we will get our money back through our insurance.

I bow to your greater knowledge on these matters than me however the whole point of the voyage was to visit the Holyland and if the ship was unable to visit Israel for whatever reason then I would expect to be compensated.If you like for breach of contract,it is fortunate that we will get our money back through our insurance.

In the brochure that we all no doubt read it quite clearly states:

After departure, Cunard does not gaurante3e that the ship will call at every port on the itinerary or follow every part of the advertised route or schedule or that every part of the package will be provided.

I have every sympathy for those that booked this cruise just to see the advertised locations but surely any reasonable person will understand that Cunard have a responsibility of care??

I'm not sure anyone would be able to claim breach of contract if you read the terms and conditions of most cruise lines they all say they can miss out any ports that they like due to operational reasons or for safety reasons.

I think that not going somewhere that people are being bombed indiscriminately on a daily basis might just qualify as a safety reason.;)

Well I seem to be in the minority here,it will be interesting to see what passengers on the cruise have to say on their return.I should add that I understand there have been no problems in Jerusalem or the North of Israel and people have just carried on with their normal lives.However I do agree that Cunard in common with other providers has a duty of care to it's passengers and therefore was forced to change it's itinerary.This does not alter the fact that 2000 passengers have paid for a cruise that included the Holyland,which for many would have been a trip of a lifetime.I'm sure many will be disappointed and very disgruntled with the substitute ports.

Those passengers can put the blame squarely on my mother and step-father who are currently onboard the QE. This is their third attempt at seeing the Holy Land, so war was almost guarenteed! I should have an email from them soon to confirm what they've been told about changes.

Andrew

Sorry but I don't know what an APC is,can someone enlighten me?

andrewp sorryto hear that your parents have missed their visit to the Holyland again,it will be interesting to learn their comments on the change of itinerary.

We will look for a cruise with a similiar itinerary for this time next year and hope that things have settled down a bit more in the Middle East although the problems could take generations to resolve.

Sorry but I don't know what an APC is,can someone enlighten me?

andrewp sorryto hear that your parents have missed their visit to the Holyland again,it will be interesting to learn their comments on the change of itinerary.

We will look for a cruise with a similiar itinerary for this time next year and hope that things have settled down a bit more in the Middle East although the problems could take generations to resolve.

I hate acronyms or abbreviations but I do find Mr Google can usually help put my mind at rest.

I am sure that everyone will sympathise with the passengers on that cruise but that location is a tinderbox just waiting for a spark to ignite that awful situation that is taking place at this moment in time.

I would have more sympathy for passengers aboard the Queen Mary2 that never got to experience the benefits of the planetarium that is a major feature of that ship.. To have it break down on a cruise is unlucky but for the ship to regularly sail with it being unusable be a different issue.

If that ship had entered port and passengers had got injured then questions would have been asked and people held accountable.

To sail into a port where there is a high risk of passengers being injured is to me an issue that would be worthy of debate as it could be argued that Cunard might be negligent regarding this same responsibility of care.

tour an active minefield in an APC ..........now that would be one heck of a fun shore excursion:rolleyes:

Would this shore excursion be considered a moderate amount of physical activity or a lower amount? I'd love to see what icon Cunard would use in the description. Perhaps they could have a stop for tea and souvenir shopping...

Thanks Koukla-mou and Sail the seas for that info. It's unfortunate that Cunard's website isn't updated to show the actual location of the ship.

If I understand correctly, QE is scheduled to dock in Alexandria tomorrow (Saturday). But now "Demonstrations erupt in major Egyptian cities after President Mohammed Morsi granted himself sweeping new judicial and legislative powers." copied from http://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc/49940223/#49940223

That leads me to wonder if the port stop in Alexandria will also be changed in the interest of safety.

"...Earlier Friday, demonstrators clashed with police in Alexandria, Egypt, as they protested against President Morsi. Casualties were reported at the protests, and Morsi opponents set fire to Muslim Brotherhood offices in the Suez Canal cities of Suez, Port Said and Ismailia, state TV said..." quoted from http://rt.com/news/egypt-protests-morsi-march-420/

Regards,

Salacia

Cunard UK website is not updated. If you look at Cunard Germany it is current. http://www.cunard.de/fleet/QE/livebilder_qe.php

The best way to check a ship's positin is on Live Ships Map.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=10&mmsi=310625000&centerx=33.02003100&centery=34.65519000

QE was shown in Rhodes ans Antalya on the last two ports.

Don't think the new web site is being updated. Marine tracker shows

Time (UTC) Position Port

2012-11-22 05:19 Arrival LIMASSOL

2012-11-20 05:40 Arrival RHODES

2012-11-19 15:07 Departure IZMIR

It looks as if Rhodes was substituted for Haifa. Probably necessary with all the rockets flying around plus the bus bombing. Perhaps the new cease fire will hold and enable the local population to live in peace for a while and enable a call next time,

Archived