DIY Cadiz to Jerez

winniesbestm8

Hi everyone,

We are trying to work out whether to to go on the ships excursion to Jerez, to go and watch the royal horse show and go and do some sherry tasting.

We have priced it up for 2 adults and 2 children (5 and 3) and it will cost £158 (£151 with discount) which is very expensive considering both children can't taste the sherry!! My mum is also coming but under her own booking (£45)

We contacted P&O to check the prices were correct for children (£34 per child even though the youngest doesn't have to pay fr the horse show if we booked with them), to which they have replied yes and won't budge on a reduction for them.

Jerez seems about 45 minutes away, the train station doesn't look too far a walk (we walked all around Cadiz last time we were there).

If we DIY it looks like the horse show will cost £17 per adult, and £11 for my 5 year old if we prebook online. The train then looks like it will be no more than 10 euros each and the kids are free.

Doing our sums this will work out at £61 for a family of 4, and then maybe a taxi in Jerez, to the horse school?

I just wanted to ask if it is do-able with children and my mum, who can't walk too far? I.e can we get the pushchairs on the train, is it an easy enough journey, (purchasing the tickets for the train etc)

Any help/advice/views are most welcome :)

Do check the horse show timetable/days, doesn't happen daily. They do advise booking, though when we went there were plenty of empty seats.

The carriage museum etc is open daily & worth mebbe 30 to 60 minutes.

http://www.realescuela.org/

From ship to rail station in Cadiz is only a 5 to 10 min walk, from station in Jerez to the Eschuela Real is a 20 min walk, mebbe a taxi (nb due to one-way streets taxi route involves a dog-leg).

The Sandeman bodega is just a two minute walk from the Eschuela - tour takes 30 mins plus, you may decide to tour before/after the show depending on times of trains/horse show/english-speaking bodega tour times.

http://www.sandeman.eu/visitus/jerez/en

The Sandeman bodega is like most other bodegas in the centre - production nowadays is in modern "factories" on the outskirts, the bodegas are very much for the tourist tours & don't give a great insight.

JB :)

Archived