Review Hawaii Nov 7-17, 2012 POA

Just4You

Thanks for the great review. I have read your previous reviews and found them very helpful full of many tips that I wrote down in my travel folder. My hubby and I will be doing this cruise in May next year with our good friends. We will being staying at the Outrigger Reef On The Beach for three days after the cruise. Would love to know your thoughts on this hotel.:)

Thanks for the great review. I have read your previous reviews and found them very helpful full of many tips that I wrote down in my travel folder. My hubby and I will be doing this cruise in May next year with our good friends. We will being staying at the Outrigger Reef On The Beach for three days after the cruise. Would love to know your thoughts on this hotel.:)

This is where we stayed for 3 nights prior to the cruise (you can see the pictures in this review). It was very luxurious! Beds were comfortable with more pillows than needed, bathroom adequate size. Hotel lobby is full of fun stores to look around, especially the Elephant Walk that also sold Del Sol items that change color when in the sun. There is Starbucks downstairs, where we had our coffee fix and muffin for breakfast. I do not recommend Shorebird Restaurant as the Hole in the Wall tour guides have heard bad things about the food and prices there.

I was a little disappointed at first with the the ocean VIEW. I had been told by the agent when I booked that I would be able to see the ocean while lying in my bed. When I checked with the local hotel manager, he said the number I called was the headquarters in Colorado, and there was no way that agent would know the view (go figure). The ocean view was not bad, however. We were seldom in our room anyway. The doves who knocked on our balcony door when we were in our room were a fun experience (see my later post with the picture since the first post didn't copy over).

The hotel was quiet but we were on the 8th floor. Closer floors facing the pool area may be noisy due to the outdoor bar with live entertainment near the pool (which was GREAT!), but it ends around 11pm. We ate there (outside bar) one evening, I had the coconut shrimp (delicious) and DH had fish and chips but fish was undercooked.

Watch out for the men who work behind an activities desk. They will offer you a map of local shops and a "coupon" to Shorebird Restaurant, then will hassle you about investing in a condominium at Wyndham Vacation Resorts. Grab the map and run. We ended up ignoring them as we walked past when they called out to us.

You are next to the Beach Walk shops, there is a fun shopping center on Lewers Street (go outside hotel, turn right, turn left at Lewers Street, shops are on left about a block down). This hotel is north on Waikiki, but easy to walk south to get in the middle of the action: International Marketplace, Duke's restaurant behind the other Outrigger (Waikiki), an ABC store on every corner, etc.

Sorry you got sucked into a bad tourist boat ride. I honestly have not heard of a good dinner cruise yet - all seem to be exactly as you describe. When I hear of locals recommending a dinner cruise that they themselves enjoy and isn't a ripoff (much like most luaus), I'll by pass them, thank you.

The best view of the HHV fireworks is on the beach in front of the HHV itself ;) They are set off from a little barge that is in the lagoon there. You can walk the beach all the way down to there from the Outrigger. I walked it in reverse a few nights to get to/from Duke's. It's a mix of cement walkway and beach.

I agree about the "activities desk" people. Unless it is the one right inside the hotel at the Front Desk area (and sometimes this isn't true), it is always a scam to get you hooked into a timeshare presentation. Just like the trinket sellers along the beaches in the Caribbean, you just have to keep walking and say "no".

Sorry you got sucked into a bad tourist boat ride. I honestly have not heard of a good dinner cruise yet - all seem to be exactly as you describe. When I hear of locals recommending a dinner cruise that they themselves enjoy and isn't a ripoff (much like most luaus), I'll by pass them, thank you.

The best view of the HHV fireworks is on the beach in front of the HHV itself ;) They are set off from a little barge that is in the lagoon there. You can walk the beach all the way down to there from the Outrigger. I walked it in reverse a few nights to get to/from Duke's. It's a mix of cement walkway and beach.

I agree about the "activities desk" people. Unless it is the one right inside the hotel at the Front Desk area (and sometimes this isn't true), it is always a scam to get you hooked into a timeshare presentation. Just like the trinket sellers along the beaches in the Caribbean, you just have to keep walking and say "no".

Thanks for the tip about watching the fireworks from HHV beach. I didn't know the road went all the way over. Thanks!

I'm sorry too, DH wanted to get everyone to sign his birthday T-shirt.

I forgot to write down the time we were supposed to meet. I wandered around Deck 13 after the muster drill but left around 5:30pm. I found out later you were meeting at 5:45pm, I must have just missed you. I hope there was a good showing of ship officers there.

Sorry we missed you. I did see your husband with his birthday shirt. Oh well.

There were quite a few ships officers there plus we kept running into them all week. They were all there at the end of the week for the follow up as well. Wrote down all our comments.

Thanks for the tip about watching the fireworks from HHV beach. I didn't know the road went all the way over. Thanks!

I'm not sure which "road" you are talking about. You can walk the beach all the way from one end of Waikiki to the other. Or, you can walk down Kalakaua to either Lewers, Beach Walk or Saratoga and turn left toward the beach. At Kalia Rd you can either turn right and keep walking to HHV or keep going onto the beach. There is a very good cement walkway past Ft. DeRussy all the way to HHV. At HHV, you can either sit on the beach, or maybe find a spot on the walkway wall. The one concessionaire on the walkway at HHV rents lounge chairs to sit on for the fireworks - something like $10.

I'm not sure which "road" you are talking about. You can walk the beach all the way from one end of Waikiki to the other. Or, you can walk down Kalakaua to either Lewers, Beach Walk or Saratoga and turn left toward the beach. At Kalia Rd you can either turn right and keep walking to HHV or keep going onto the beach. There is a very good cement walkway past Ft. DeRussy all the way to HHV. At HHV, you can either sit on the beach, or maybe find a spot on the walkway wall. The one concessionaire on the walkway at HHV rents lounge chairs to sit on for the fireworks - something like $10.

I was referring to the beach walk. I used to think you couldn't go beyond Ft. DeRussy but I never trekked that far toward HHV. Glad to know you an walk all the way to HHV. Thanks again for the tip!!

I love your reviews! Dan takes such great photos of you -- you always seem so happy!

We were on your POA cruise last year and enjoyed meeting you. At the meet & greet you explained how to eat Poi with salty meats and this was great info for my husband! We had plate lunch on Maui and everytime we have had Kahlua pig since then he comments that we need some poi ;). I'm not sure he would have been willing to try it if not for your great explanation.

Glad to see you had another wonderful trip on the POA. We opted for a week on Kauai this year and next year we're cruising Alaska, but given the chance, we'll be back on the POA again someday as well ;).

I love your reviews! Dan takes such great photos of you -- you always seem so happy!

We were on your POA cruise last year and enjoyed meeting you. At the meet & greet you explained how to eat Poi with salty meats and this was great info for my husband! We had plate lunch on Maui and everytime we have had Kahlua pig since then he comments that we need some poi ;). I'm not sure he would have been willing to try it if not for your great explanation.

Glad to see you had another wonderful trip on the POA. We opted for a week on Kauai this year and next year we're cruising Alaska, but given the chance, we'll be back on the POA again someday as well ;).

Hi Sherrica!

I wish I had some Kahlua pig and poi right now. How was Kauai and where did you stay? If you went back again, would you stay on Kauai again?

Hi Sherrica!

I wish I had some Kahlua pig and poi right now. How was Kauai and where did you stay? If you went back again, would you stay on Kauai again?

We had a great time on Kauai! We stayed for a week at the Pono Kai resort in the middle of Kapaa. It was close to everything, plus our friends live in Kapaa, so that made it very convenient. I saw you visited Lydgate park -- we had a BBQ there one night and that was very nice. We would definitely stay on Kauai again. It's beautiful and so relaxed. Now that we've visited twice (even though the first time was just a day and a half) we kind of feel like we know our way around a little, so that makes it even more comfortable. Oh -- and we rented an "Island car" since our friends were concerned we'd be targets and look like tourists if we had a regular rental car lol. It was a beater but it got us around (and was super cheap). ;) I swear it had three hub caps when we picked it up (but only two by the time we left). Haha -- good times!

We had a great time on Kauai! We stayed for a week at the Pono Kai resort in the middle of Kapaa. It was close to everything, plus our friends live in Kapaa, so that made it very convenient. I saw you visited Lydgate park -- we had a BBQ there one night and that was very nice. We would definitely stay on Kauai again. It's beautiful and so relaxed. Now that we've visited twice (even though the first time was just a day and a half) we kind of feel like we know our way around a little, so that makes it even more comfortable. Oh -- and we rented an "Island car" since our friends were concerned we'd be targets and look like tourists if we had a regular rental car lol. It was a beater but it got us around (and was super cheap). ;) I swear it had three hub caps when we picked it up (but only two by the time we left). Haha -- good times!

Great idea about renting a local car! We are thinking of staying on Kauai next year, do you have a link for the local car rental?

When we did the Road to Hana tour the driver said that locals don't drive convertibles. They know the danger of falling coconuts. They said that five folks a year on average are killed by falling coconets while in their car.

Great idea about renting a local car! We are thinking of staying on Kauai next year, do you have a link for the local car rental?

Here's the link to their site: http://www.islandcars.net/index.htm

It's best to call to reserve the car. Their lot is very near Nawiliwi Harbor. We spoke with Mike and he was very nice.

Good point hill6 about convertibles & coconuts! I wouldn't have thought of that, but that makes sense!

Here's the link to their site: http://www.islandcars.net/index.htm

It's best to call to reserve the car. Their lot is very near Nawiliwi Harbor. We spoke with Mike and he was very nice.

Good point hill6 about convertibles & coconuts! I wouldn't have thought of that, but that makes sense!

Sherrica: This is great to know, and only $12.95 day! Thanks!

Hill6: thanks for the info about coconuts. I haven't rented a convertible because one never knows when it will be raining, but now I never will!

Sherrica: This is great to know, and only $12.95 day! Thanks!

Hill6: thanks for the info about coconuts. I haven't rented a convertible because one never knows when it will be raining, but now I never will!

We rented one convertible on this trip. Rented it on day we went to Volcano National Park. Saved $20 a day by not renting them. The Ford Fusions we got were pretty nice for the two of us

We rented one convertible on this trip. Rented it on day we went to Volcano National Park. Saved $20 a day by not renting them. The Ford Fusions we got were pretty nice for the two of us

Good thing you got to put the top down at VNP to enjoy it... not any coconut trees there to worry about (Ha!). By the way, I am LOVING your reivew! The pictures are GREAT!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for sharing your review and pictures. Our cruise is in May and I am ripping the days off the calendar! I absolutely cannot wait to experience Hawaii again, this time with my hubby. You have included so many interesting and different things to do - thank you again for sharing!

• 4 months later...
We ate at Little Italy, we ran into our friend Terrence from Texas, who is now one of the restaurant managers (he worked at the reservation desk last year). I had shrimp risotto and DH had lobster fettucini (delicious!). We paid $8.50 pp (reduced price if 3 specialty restaurants are booked online). There is now sausage speghetti and lasagna on the menu as of two weeks ago, so there is more variety offered (around 7 or 8 different entrees now). The Chianti wine goes best with Italian food (I learned this at the wine tasting).

That evening we went to the Not-So-Newlywed game at 8pm.

My husband & I are taking the June 22, 2013 cruise and I have devoured both of your reviews. Your wonderful details have been extremely helpful! I do have one question - even though you have paid extra for the specialty restaurants do you tip extra?

My husband & I are taking the June 22, 2013 cruise and I have devoured both of your reviews. Your wonderful details have been extremely helpful! I do have one question - even though you have paid extra for the specialty restaurants do you tip extra?

I don't know if tips are automatically given to the waitstaff in the Specialty Restaurants like they are in the main dining rooms, I would hope so. Unless you order wine, soda or something else that is not included, you will not even get a bill at the end. The service and ambience of the dining experience in the Specialty Restaurants has always motivated me to leave a tip. You can tip whatever you want, or not.

Have a wonderful time on your trip in June. I know you will make many wonderful memories. Ironically, some of my best memories are of my dining experiences at the Speciaty Restaurants. I guess good food and atmosphere create a memory trace in the brain, maybe because I was able to slow down and be present for the dining experience.

• 3 months later...

We have just returned from Hawaii where we used Tread Lightly for our personalised tour of Kauai. I read the many positive posts about Jay Dorrance and his Tread Lightly tours before making my own booking and I can concur that if you want to truly experience the beauty of this island through the eyes of a local then you won't be disappointed. Jay picked us up at the wharf and greeted us like an old friend. We visited so many places, waterfalls, beaches, mountain vistas and even a Hindu Monastery. On our way to the North Shore we stopped at a road side fruit store where we sampled our first icy cold coconut juice- so yummy. We stopped at many lookouts on the way before arriving at the beaches. However, our favourite experience was at Jay's secret favourite beach where the quiet warm water was just so inviting I had to go for a swim. We were able to relax and spend quite a bit of time there before we headed off to one of Jay's favourite bistros so we could try the grass fed Kauai beef burgers- delicious! Throughout the day Jay pointed out all the famous landmarks that featured in Hollywood films, so our last stop was at Gilligan's Beach where we dressed up and used his props for a photo shoot. It was certainly a full day and we returned to the ship satisfied that we had a experienced something special in Kauai, memories that will last a lifetime.

Thank you Jay

Carol & Richard

Archived