SUV car rental vs taxi

CountessP

Hi! We are 6 adults and want to have the freedom of doing whatever we want.

We can rent an SUV or hire a taxi. Any suggestions as to which is the best option.

Any ideas as how much it cost to rent a taxi for a day vs rent an suv. Suggestions appreciated. Thx in advance.

When we went to Barbados some time back, we rented a moke and drove all around on our own and had a great time. I'm sure we could have seen more hiring a driver but we were by ourselves and weren't on anyone else's schedule.

We made our way up the west coast, turned right at Speightown and crossed over to the eastern side. We managed to find Nicholas Abbey (?) on our own and the Windmill. Then we drove down the eastern shore to Bathsheba. It was great we could stop and take photos or look at whatever interested us when we wanted. We made it to Gun Hill Signal Station then back down to Bridgetown. Sure we got lost a lot but even with the crappy tourist map we had, we did okay.

I have to say driving in Bridgetown was a bit of a challenge, being on the "wrong" side of the street and all. And finding our way back to the ship took several tries. We could see the damned thing, we just couldn't get to it! All in all, it was a lot of fun. As long as you're not skittish about driving on the left, go for it! Try to get a good map of Barbados though. Especially Bridgetown, that would have helped immensely.

Hi! We are 6 adults and want to have the freedom of doing whatever we want.

We can rent an SUV or hire a taxi. Any suggestions as to which is the best option.

Any ideas as how much it cost to rent a taxi for a day vs rent an suv. Suggestions appreciated. Thx in advance.

The cost would be close to the same for either option, so it boils down to what you prefer.

Assuming you are on a cruise your time maybe limited and "the adventure" of getting lost may cause you to miss the ship.

Having said that, the island is not that big so you may have plenty of time to find your way back.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time. :)

I have visited Barbados, on four previous cruises. Barbados is a relatively small island;

I feel like I know it-like the back of my hand.

I personally would lean towards hiring a reputable taxi driver, IN ADVANCE. If you are looking for a more relaxing experience, the taxi might be the way to go.

I have taken 4X4 safaris on Barbados, and traveled on almost every road on the island.

Driving a car in the congested areas, can be a moderate challenge, IMO.

I have visited about 15 caribbean islands; hired private guides on most of them. I

have NEVER had any problem, returning to the ship-at the time that I specify to the driver.

I allow a cushion of time for the unforeseen situation: traffic jams.

It all depends how much of a sense of adventure, you are looking for?

Archived