Knossos Palace on Our Own

descof

Has anyone ever rented an ATV or scooter in Aghios Nikolaos and visited the Knossos Palace on their own? We welcome recommendations as well as knowing how long it would take to drive there and back from the port. It would seem to be a more interesting way to visit. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone ever rented an ATV or scooter in Aghios Nikolaos and visited the Knossos Palace on their own? We welcome recommendations as well as knowing how long it would take to drive there and back from the port. It would seem to be a more interesting way to visit. Thanks in advance.

We did Knossos in 2010 when the NCL Jade ported there. We did an NCL tour that was excellent.

Knossos is definitely not walking distance, and the drive there was about 20-30 minutes. Traffic was very heavy. I am not sure that I would ride a scooter in Greece, considering the traffic. Still, it could be done.

One thing, getting out of the port could be a problem. The ship docked at a commercial type port and it was not right in the city. If there was a shuttle, we didn't see it.

I would recommend getting a tour guide for going through Knossos.

We did Knossos in 2010 when the NCL Jade ported there. We did an NCL tour that was excellent.

Knossos is definitely not walking distance, and the drive there was about 20-30 minutes. Traffic was very heavy. I am not sure that I would ride a scooter in Greece, considering the traffic. Still, it could be done.

One thing, getting out of the port could be a problem. The ship docked at a commercial type port and it was not right in the city. If there was a shuttle, we didn't see it.

I would recommend getting a tour guide for going through Knossos.

Thanks for the recommendation. I guess I forgot to mention that we will be docking in Aghios Nikolaos, and the Internet shows there are car rentals available at the port. A Google search implies it is about an hour's drive to the palace.

We have previously rented cars in Aghios Nikolaos and there are several rental car agencies within walking distance of the port. Simply shop on the internet for the best deal. We were quite happy with a regular car and A/C is a good thing in the warmer months. No need for an ATV as Crete actually has decent roads. Not sure about motorcycle/scooter rentals but personally prefer the safety of a car when driving in Europe.

Hank

Archived