San Pedro Parking - No Grace Period Beware!

gofson2

Just returned from a great trip on Sapphire Princess.

Parked at the long term lot at berth 93 in San Pedro. Used to be $12 per day. 7 day cruise = $84. Not this time. Arrived on 11/17 at 12:07pm. Left on 11/24 at 12:14pm. Cost $96. Twelve extra dollars for the 7 minutes over the official 7th day. Have parked there on many previous occasions and only ever paid $84.

Just want other cruisers to be aware of the NO GRACE PERIOD rule for parking there.

Note that this is in no way associated with Princess Cruises. The parking lot is a totally separate company that is not affiliated with Princess. And I can see why. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

There's always lots of parking. Maybe it's a new management, but have never heard of anyone being charge extra like that. Maybe we haven't run into that situation (would get there after 11am on embarkation day, and would be off the ship by 10 at the latest...the one time disembarkation took a long time and we were off the ship after 11am, we were using a car service).

This sounds like our situation with Alamo Rental in Miami in 2001. Because my hubby was slightly late in getting the car back to them (maybe just an hour or so), we got charged an extra day. We weren't too happy with them anyway (it took forever to get picked up at the port, took forever to get the rental, etc.).

May I be so bold as to ask the OP why they were so late leaving the lot....I would have thought that 10:00 would have been about the latest.... or at least that has been our experience.

Just be happy that this wasn't Canada Place in Vancouver where the extra day would have cost you $23.00.

As to the question why we were so late leaving... We live locally, so we arrive early, and try to leave late after all the rush. We were literally the last passengers off the ship at approx 1130. Still had to wait about 20 minutes to get through Customs though.

We've parked there at least five or more times in the past and never ran into this problem. Granted, I also can't tell you if we've ever crossed the line into the eighth day either. Just wanted to let people know in case they don't read the fine print like us.

Agree there is plenty of parking. At least 500 spots or more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update

Spoke to VP at Parking Concepts Inc who run the parking lots at San Pedro Cruise Terminal. Their company does not set or control the rates. He was kind enough to send a personal check for the $24, but we chose not to cash it.

The Port of LA is the responsible party. Will be in contact with them to see if they're amenable to changing their rate structure. Stay tuned...

Archived