Planning 1st cruise,need advice,many questions

Hello to All,

I have been reading the CC boards for a while, and have just started posting.I am a bit disabled, and some of my 1st timer questions have to do with mobility issues, so I thought that it would be good to post them here instead of the first timer board.

I am in my mid 40's and have RSD, which is a chronic pain disease caused by a nerve injury sustained in an auto crash a little over 6 years ago.I also have spinal deterioration, and a left knee that is half gone.I do not use a w/c, or cart to get around, and some days I look like everyone else, but there are days that I require the use of a cane (I have a few bone shards in my spine area that cannot be removed, and they have a tendency to move at the worst times, and then I cannot walk without the cane as they lodge between the vertebrae at different angles).I enjoy walking although slowly, and I cannot stand for extended lengths of time.I will have my DH with me, so we will be booking a regular cabin, as he can help me in the shower, etc., and I would rather leave the HC cabins to those who really need them.

We are considering a first cruise on Carnival Conquest, and the following are my main concerns:

1.Deck chair availability: I have read alot of horror stories about "chair hogging" on the CC boards and I am beginning to get worried that if I should need to sit down, that there may not be a chair available when I need it, and on "bad days" I usually need it, and the semi reclining position is most comfortable for me.Is the chair hogging problem really as bad as everyone says it is, or are they exaggerating?Would it be wise to bring my own folding chair along? Will the cruise line allow you to bring your own chair?

2.If there are rough seas, and you walk with a cane, just how difficult is it to get around the ship? I mean to places like the dining room, etc..Are there any handrails mounted along the wall to help out during these times?

3.Normally I have to wear Birkenstocks, are these O.K. shoes to wear on board? Normally I wear my patent leather strap Birks for dress up, so is anyone going to complain if I wear them for formal night?

4.Are the decks around the pools slippery? If I fall,it would really spoil my trip, as I would probably have to go to bed for a few days.

5.Would certain cabin locations be better than others? We were planning to stay in an inside cabin,and I noticed that there are some close to the elevators,is it a good idea to be as close to the elevators as possible?

6.I take opioid pain medication.Do you think it is safe to keep it in my cabin out of sight, or should I have the bottles locked in the safe and just refill my pillbox each night? I am planning to go on shore excursions in Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel;should I get a letter from my doctor stating my medications and dosages for the benefit of the local constabulary(and U.S. customs when we get back)?Would it be a good idea to have my pharmacist make up some small bottles for me with the prescription lables on them to carry my days supply so if there is any question they can see the original labels? ( kind of a waste I think, but I don't want any legal troubles)

7.I know this is going to sound stupid, but I really need to ask:When I use my cane, I have a little device attached to it that makes it possible to perch it on a table if needed so I don't have to lay it on the floor.Do you think it would be a problem if I perched it on the table in the dining room next to me,or should I just fold it up and put on the floor anyway and let DH get it for me?

8.When I sleep I require about five pillows to prop my body in a comfortable position.Will I be able to get extra pillows, or will this be a big problem?

9.Due to my RSD, I feel colder than most people all the time.Is the cabin temperature adjustable, or is it set?If I need extra blankets should I bring them, or will they give them to me without a hassel?( Its kind of like being an amphibian:D at times, and although I love a/c, my body has to have more blankets to cover at night,especially my left arm and hand, or else I wake up in incredible pain)

10.If any of you have been on the Conquest could you tell me something about your experience with staff?(were they accomodating and polite)

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.I have been dreaming about going on a cruise for over 20 years, and I want to have a good experience.

Deck chair hogging is more common on some cruise lines (ie, Carnival, NCL) than on others (HAL, Crystal, RCCL) in my experience. If you need a particular chair, go at lunch or go early. If you see a chair with towels being saved with no one using it, ask an attendant if you can have the chair.

It can be difficult to get around on rough sea days even for AB people. If you are at all unsteady on your feet, plan to take a lightweight wheelchair with you and have your husband push your chair or a walker such as the Rollator. Safer than risking a dangerous fall. While there are grab rails in many areas, often they are not within reach.

You can wear whatever you want. The dressy nights are not "enforced" although if you don't wear appropriate clothing you will get some "looks". If you don't want to dress up, get room service or eat in the buffets on those nights. No one looks at your shoes (trust me).

Decks around pools can be slippery when seas are rough or if there is a lot of pool activity. If this is a problem, take a different route than walking through the pool area to get to the Lido, etc. Wear shoes with good non-slide soles as this will help a lot.

Try to get a cabin near the elevator. We always do, and have never had a noise problem. You will have more sea motion at the bow or stern, so try to get a cabin that is more mid-ship.

Lock up your opioid meds in your room safe. Get everything labeled, and carry a copy of the original prescriptions with you. This applies to injectable or oral medications.

No one will care about your cane in the dining room. It is safer for others if it is there rather than on the floor where it could be a trip hazard. Alternatively, ask your waiter to stow it out of the way and bring it to you when you need it. They are more than happy to do this. Consider taking one of the combination canes with folding seats as there may be times you need to stand for a long time on the ship and there are not always chairs available. This applies to shore excursions as well.

As soon as you arrive on the ship, let your cabin steward know anything extra you need (pillows, blankets, hangers, etc. ) and they will bring them for you. Don't wait until bedtime to ask for pillows.

The cabins have individual thermostats...I know because my dad keeps our cabin like an OVEN!! He and I play adjust-the-thermostat for the entire trip.

Relax, and have a good trip! You will love cruising.

Welcome to cruising. My husband uses a wheelchair and we find that cruising is by far the best way for us to travel. In fact, I tell people that we are seeing the world, one port at a time.

1.Deck chair availability: It varies by cruise. On a good day, most chairs are occupied in the middle of the day. However, although finding one near the pool can be difficult, you can usually find one on one of the decks overlooking the pool.

Will the cruise line allow you to bring your own chair? I have never thought about it, but I do not see why they wouldn't let you do so.

2.If there are rough seas, and you walk with a cane, just how difficult is it to get around the ship? I mean to places like the dining room, etc.. On most ships there are handrails mounted along the wall, but I agree with Splinter about brining a ewheelchair just in case. Or have you considered renting a cooter for the week? Ships are quite large and require a lot of walking regardless of how smooth the water are.

3.Normally I have to wear Birkenstocks, are these O.K. shoes to wear on board? Normally I wear my patent leather strap Birks for dress up, so is anyone going to complain if I wear them for formal night?

Wear what ever is comfortable for you. No one will complain. In fact, my husband wears black sneakers all the time, even on formal night.

4.Are the decks around the pools slippery? If I fall,it would really spoil my trip, as I would probably have to go to bed for a few days.

The decks around the pool usually have a rough, non-slip surface, bit I would still be careful.

5.Would certain cabin locations be better than others? We were planning to stay in an inside cabin,and I noticed that there are some close to the elevators,is it a good idea to be as close to the elevators as possible?

Yes, being close to an elevator would be good for you. To reduce walking further Also consider being either mid-ship and/or being close to an elevator that goes to the diningroom. The latter is a bit tough to figure out since there are two diningrooms separated by the galley and you probably do not know which diningroom you will be assigned to. Perhaps you should make that request to Carnivl's special needs deck.

6.I take opioid pain medication.Do you think it is safe to keep it in my cabin out of sight, or should I have the bottles locked in the safe and just refill my pillbox each night? I am planning to go on shore excursions in Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel;should I get a letter from my doctor stating my medications and dosages for the benefit of the local constabulary(and U.S. customs when we get back)?Would it be a good idea to have my pharmacist make up some small bottles for me with the prescription lables on them to carry my days supply so if there is any question they can see the original labels? ( kind of a waste I think, but I don't want any legal troubles)

My husband takes many medications and we have never locked them up; however, taking the precaution of putting them in the safe is a good idea. Carrying a copy of the original perscriptions should be sufficient.

7.I know this is going to sound stupid, but I really need to ask:When I use my cane, I have a little device attached to it that makes it possible to perch it on a table if needed so I don't have to lay it on the floor.Do you think it would be a problem if I perched it on the table in the dining room next to me,or should I just fold it up and put on the floor anyway and let DH get it for me?

Which ever you prefer.

8.When I sleep I require about five pillows to prop my body in a comfortable position.Will I be able to get extra pillows, or will this be a big problem?

Ask your cabin steward as soon as you get aboard.

9.Due to my RSD, I feel colder than most people all the time.Is the cabin temperature adjustable, or is it set?If I need extra blankets should I bring them, or will they give them to me without a hassel?( Its kind of like being an amphibian at times, and although I love a/c, my body has to have more blankets to cover at night,especially my left arm and hand, or else I wake up in incredible pain)

Again, ask your cabin steward

10.If any of you have been on the Conquest could you tell me something about your experience with staff?(were they accomodating and polite)

We have not been on the Conquest, but we have been on at least 5 other Carnival ships and have always found the staff to be very accomodating and helpful.

Thanks Splinter and DEL for taking the time to answer my lengthy questions.I am going to also discuss this with my best friend who is disabled, as I believe that she and her DH would like to go on a cruise, but she does use a scooter, and she was worried that it would be too big of a problem to surmount on a cruise ship.

It is nice to know that cruise lines make an effort to see that you have your needs taken care of if you are DA.I wasn't sure at first about the whole idea of cruising, but it seems like it would be a good thing for us to do.I know that my Dh really wanted to do a Windjammer cruise ( I did as well), but after reading about their accomodations (one upper, one lower in most cases)we have come to the conclusion that a regular cruise would proabably be the best for us.

THanks again.

Hi! The Windjammers are fun for "roughing it" (I did 3 in my younger years) but I remember a man with a walking disability had a very hard time on board because there is so much more movement being a smaller ship and actually sailing vs. the large cruise ships which don't use sails.

I agree with the advice of bringing a wheelchair, not only for steadiness to avoid falls when seas are rough, but because modern ships are so large. You may have to walk the equivalent of a couple football fields to get from the dining room to the after-dinner entertainment, for example. And exploring the ship is one of the great pleasures of cruising, so you wouldn't want to miss that, either.

Carol Louise

I agree, rent a scooter for on board. Phone scoot-around or Care Vacations. Some ships are 935 ft long and 105 ft wide. Dining Rooms are at one end and the entertainment is at the other end. Try out your friends scooter for an idea of how they operate. If you do order a scooter, you will need the H/C unless you get a very small scooter.

Crabcracker:

Tell your friend who uses a scooter that the newer ships (built in 2000+) are very accessible as long as she has a handicap cabin. Ports are more difficult, but they are generally worth the effort and you have a stable, accessible environment to return to. We have cruised to the Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada, Mexican Riviera, Europe, Mediterranean and Hawaii. In fact, I say that we are seeing the world one port at a time.

Hi Crabcracker,

You'll have a great time, and if you can talk your friend into going, too, you'll ALL have a great time! :)

I have gone from going on a cruise as an AB person, to now needing a scooter/wheelchair and cane, if I have to take a few steps. I agree with others on this board who have suggested that you have a wheelchair or scooter available for your use onboard. Ships are SO big, that just getting from your cabin to the dining room can be a daunting proposiition. You can rent a folding wheelchair, or scooter, from CareVacations.com, or Scootaround.com and have them waiting in your cabin when you arrive, and you leave it there when you leave for them to pick up. If you rent a scooter, you will need to find out how wide it is, as only the narrowest of them will fit into a regular cabin doorway. If you have a wider one, you will need a Handicapped cabin, as you are not allowed to leave scooters in the hallways. A folding wheelchair will fit into a regular cabin, and the regular cabin will also have a step up into the bathroom, and into the shower, while a H/C cabin will not.

Now, I also have a problem that keeps me wearing some clunky sandals......not Birks, but they look very similar. I wear them on formal night, too.............just wear a long skirt or pants, so they are barely noticable, and nobody really notices anyway. Sometimes, while using my scooter, I will wear a pair of dressier, but still flatter, sandals, because I know I will not have to walk in them. Anyway, after eleven cruises, noone has ever said anything about my sandals that I have had to wear for the last seven cruises, so I just dont worry about it. And you shouldn't either! :)

Have a great cruise!

Archived