Use of two wi-fi'd devices on Riviera ?

worldspan

Has anyone signed up for two wi-fi packages on Riviera, one for their laptop and the other for their cell phone ? Understand I would have to buy 2 plans from Oceania, one for each device if this is possible.

My cell provider T-Mobile allows advanced phones to be wi-fi'd to any environment where wi-fi is available. Need to use my laptop for routine computer work and at same time my cell to make calls to/from the U.S.

Anyone with any experience doing this on Riviera or Marina your input would be appreciated!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Has anyone signed up for two wi-fi packages on Riviera, one for their laptop and the other for their cell phone ? Understand I would have to buy 2 plans from Oceania, one for each device if this is possible.

My cell provider T-Mobile allows advanced phones to be wi-fi'd to any environment where wi-fi is available. Need to use my laptop for routine computer work and at same time my cell to make calls to/from the U.S.

Anyone with any experience doing this on Riviera or Marina your input would be appreciated!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

If you can manage to operate one of them at a time, you won't need two packages. If it's essential you use them both at the same time, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't buy two packages. You would have to have two different log-on names and passwords, and that may be difficult if it's tied to your stateroom instead of an individual. I would think perhaps difficult but not impossible; talk to the MTN (internet provider) representative in the computer room as soon as possible to discuss the options.

No doubt someone will chime in to say "you're on vacation", but after 131 cruises, I suspect you know exactly what you like to do! :cool:

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Absolutely no problem. We had to do that one year so that we could both be on at the same time and they were more than happy:D to sell us two packages.

Are you looking to use Skype for the calls?

I know on most other lines, Skype and streaming apps are blocked.

Is this true on Oceania?

Yes, Skype is definitely blocked (at the base, as they say) but I thought that perhaps this gentleman had some sort of 4G solution to getting around that.

Things change so quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

While in Barbados, we had just logged on in our cabin to send an email to our daughter when we heard the familiar sound of a Skype call coming to us from her. We don't use the video, just the audio, so maybe that makes a difference, but at 99 cents a minute, we wouldn't make many calls.

With the new plans, our option to buy our usual 100 minutes was gone, and we didn't take a package, as 200 minutes is much more than we need. As it turned out, even with a very brief Skype call, we paid less than we would have with a 100 minute package.

Absolutely no problem. We had to do that one year so that we could both be on at the same time and they were more than happy:D to sell us two packages.

Thanks for this info, great news to know. Most appreciated!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Currently onboard Riveria and bought the unlimited package. Was able to use Skype and Google Voice to make calls. Very good audio quality on both my MacBook and iPad. Internet speed is better than I've had on other ships.

FYI.... I'm sharing my internet connection from my laptop via Bluetooth to my iPad. It won't work with the iPhone because of limitations Apple put in place, but this allows me to use my laptop and iPad at the same time.

FYI #2.... there are no ethernet ports in the staterooms, so if your laptop is old and doesn't have wireless, you're out of luck unless you buy a USB wireless adapter.

FYI.... I'm sharing my internet connection from my laptop via Bluetooth to my iPad. It won't work with the iPhone because of limitations Apple put in place, but this allows me to use my laptop and iPad at the same time.

This is very interesting information. Thanks for posting!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Archived