Carnival Liberty Propulsion Issues

Razorbakfan

We think the $50 credit was more than fair for missing St. Thomas.

We were disappointed but Carnival tried to help with compensation that was very much appreciated.

We're still having loads of fun!

Thanks Carnival!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Following this with a lot of interest, since I was aboard Liberty only two months ago and I'm a bit of an engineering nut. :)

I would think, with what the Carnival staff were referring to would be they have lost propulsion to one of the electric motors. Due to bearing or motor failure or power delivery to that motor. I feel like some may confuse the word motor with engine. Engine refers to the internal combustion engine that generates the electricity, it is then fed to the ships electrical switchboards that feed the entire ship and the propulsion motors (which are electric motors). It would be impossible for the ship to have any propulsion at all with only 1 of its 6 engines generating electricity and running the ships entire electrical system. (The ship normally operates on 5).

I've done the Behind the Fun tour twice, once on a Fantasy class and once on Liberty, and in both cases they were operating with 4 DGs running, plus one down for routine maintenance and one as a reserve. (Both ships have six DGs...in fact, the 'bus' displays in Engineering Control seemed virtually identical, but then, both ships were built at Fincantieri Yard.)

I would speculate that if Carnival is flying in a technician it would have something to do with the switchboard delivering power to one of the motors or a part failure on one of them. No way a they would be able to replace a motor or bearing overnight in SJ. I think a bearing would require a drydock. And with the tech coming in, it must be something fixable.

Yeah, sounds like it couldn't have been a major shaft or bearing issue. Hope we hear more about the cause in the future.

FYI – We were on the cruise before this and during the Behind the Fun Tour I noticed DG6 (I think it was 6) as being down when we visited the Engine Control Room.…

That seems to be normal procedure, with one DG down at any one time for servicing. Strangely enough, we had a more informative visit to Engineering Control on Imagination (smaller ship, shorter/cheaper tour) than we did on Liberty. A lot depends on how outgoing your Chief Engineer is, and on what questions your group asks. :)

Following this with a lot of interest, since I was aboard Liberty only two months ago and I'm a bit of an engineering nut. :)

I've done the Behind the Fun tour twice, once on a Fantasy class and once on Liberty, and in both cases they were operating with 4 DGs running, plus one down for routine maintenance and one as a reserve. (Both ships have six DGs...in fact, the 'bus' displays in Engineering Control seemed virtually identical, but then, both ships were built at Fincantieri Yard.)

Yeah, sounds like it couldn't have been a major shaft or bearing issue. Hope we hear more about the cause in the future.

That seems to be normal procedure, with one DG down at any one time for servicing. Strangely enough, we had a more informative visit to Engineering Control on Imagination (smaller ship, shorter/cheaper tour) than we did on Liberty. A lot depends on how outgoing your Chief Engineer is, and on what questions your group asks. :)

The Fantasy class ships were built at the Kvaerner Masa Yards in Turku, Finland!

The Fantasy class ships were built at the Kvaerner Masa Yards in Turku, Finland!

Wow, coulda sworn it was Fincantieri, but yep, 'twas Finland. So saith Wikipedia. :)

--Which makes the similarities between the two ships I toured even more interesting. (The bridges on both ships were similar as well.)

Wow, coulda sworn it was Fincantieri, but yep, 'twas Finland. So saith Wikipedia. :)

--Which makes the similarities between the two ships I toured even more interesting. (The bridges on both ships were similar as well.)

Most probably the bridge equipments are from the same company.

I was on the Liberty Nov. 17-24 and I did notice that the boat was rocking quite a bit. More than what I had been used to. I wonder if it had to do with the engines or any issues currently going on.

And St. Thomas is a wonderful stop! Too bad you guys missed it!

We sailed on her in January and they were having problems with that and the stabalizers....I'm shocked they have not fixed it yet....sorry about missing your ports....hopefully carnival makes it "right" with all the people on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In light of the Triumph breakdown, I have concerns about the Liberty. Is the problem that the Liberty had really fixed? If it is, how would I know? A patch job or definite fix? Seems to me that the Triumph had similar problems before the final breakdown. Unsure and cautious about the Liberty...

Archived