Insurance question

punkincc

I just rebooked a cruise from one online agency to another in order to get a better rate and cabin. Cruise is more than a year out, same ship and date.

Problem is that I purchased travel insurance with the first TA ( Travel Guard) and now I need the same coverage or as close as possible with the new TA who uses Travel Guard as well.

When I called Travel Guard and referenced my existing policy, they would only state that I needed to go to the website and request a "modification".

Has anyone else had this situation? Will they cancel and refund my existing policy so that I can get a new one issued or credit what I have paid toward the new policy? I'm getting a little nervous now that they may refuse to credit my money back. I have not cancelled the original cruise booking yet, just in case.

I looked at my insurance documents, but I don't see anything about cancellation of the policy.

https://buy.travelguard.com/tgi2/policytools/modifypolicy.aspx?br=tgdirect

I would just put in the additional comments that you rebooked the trip with a new travel agency and need to update the policy to reflect this.

I have already done that, they are to respond back within 48 hours. The reason I posted is to ask if anyone else had ever had the same situation and how was it handled. Feeling nervous about losing $180.

I have already done that, they are to respond back within 48 hours. The reason I posted is to ask if anyone else had ever had the same situation and how was it handled. Feeling nervous about losing $180.

If the policy doesn't transfer over, then just ask your credit card company for a chargeback. Keep a paper trail with times/dates of all calls, and print out all email communications

Thanks, everyone. I spoke to someone a Travel Guard today. The problem is that apparently each travel agency has their own specific product with Travel Guard. The policy I purchased with the first agency is not offered by the second. They are conferring with the underwriting Dept to see if I can keep the same policy. Not sure what will happen if not. Am supposed to have an answer in 2 or 3 days.

If you can get out of the original you might want to wait on getting a new policy until you are actually locked in for the cruise. There isn't really any point in buying insurance before then.

some policies only cover preexisting conditions if the insurance is purchased very soon after trip is booked. Anybody with predicting conditions should be careful to get coverage for those conditions.

If you can get out of the original you might want to wait on getting a new policy until you are actually locked in for the cruise. There isn't really any point in buying insurance before then.

Yes, when I purchased the policy, I believe I had 12 days to purchase in order to get the pre existing waiver. Otherwise, I had up until final payment.

Archived