Dawn Princess/Tasmania in April - Southern Lights??

Sutho

Just wondering if anyone has seen or if in previous years the Southern Lights have been seen from Hobart in April.

I noticed that the Dawn Princess has a 5 night cruise on offer from Melbourne to Sydney (the last sector of its round Australia voyage), stopping at Burnie, Hobart for 2 nights and then Sydney.

I have heard that the Southern Ligths randomly can be seen from Hobart. Just wondering if anyone is aware of it happening. Obvoiusly it is not ideal to book a cruise just for that reason but what I am curious about is if there is a small probablility of the southern Aurora's making a showing in that month.

Hi Sutho,

I`ve lived here all my life and could count on 1 hand the amount of times i`ve seen it.

I would not book a cruise on the off chance of trying to see it. But if you do book and see it, it would be a bonus.

Kind Regards

The Penguin

Hi Sutho,

I live in Western Victoria (about 150km due north of Warrnambool as the crow flies) and have seen the Southern lights quite a few times (faint, but definitely visible). We have lived out of town for about ten years, so there is no light pollution to deal with. I am usually inside at night, but if I spent more time outside at night, I am sure I would have seen them far more often. I tend to see them more in winter than summer (on cold, clear, frosty nights ... hence why I am inside ;)).

I would be more concerned about the light pollution given off by the ship, as that would affect your ability to view it.

Cheers,

Thanks for that info. Obviously I would never book a cruise just for that reason but was curious as I saw the cruise promoted on a Southern Lights website run by Tasmania when I was searching about the occurence.

Archived