Query for Bill Leiber: Departure of 13-Jan-2013 Temples & Beaches Voyage

Kamlee

Hello to Azamara Journey Jan. 13, 2013 Guests -

Today we received final approval for the revised 12-night Azamara Journey January 14, 2013 itinerary which will still include all the same ports as the original 13-night voyage.

DAY DATE PORT OF CALL ARRIVE DEPART

MON 14 Jan Singapore 10:00 PM

TUE 15 Jan At Sea

WED 16 Jan At Sea

THU 17Jan Semarang, Indonesia 5:00 AM 10:00 AM

FRI 18 Jan At Sea

SAT 19 Jan Lombok, Indonesia 7:00 AM 5:30 PM

SUN 20 Jan Komodo, Indonesia 9:00 AM 6:30 PM

MON 21 Jan Benoa, Bali, Indonesia 1:30 PM

TUE 22 Jan Benoa, Bali, Indonesia 0:00 PM

WED 23 Jan Celukan Bawang, Bali, Indonesia 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

THU 24 Jan At Sea

FRI 25 Jan At Sea

SAT 26 Jan Singapore 7:00 AM

Guests booked through travel agents as well as those booked directly, who choose to sail on the revised 12-Night sailing on January 14, 2013 will receive a pro-rated refund for one night. Guests who have booked air through Azamara Club Cruises or ChoiceAir, will receive an extra night hotel stay in Singapore prior to the voyage. Alternatively, their flight will be adjusted to fly in a day later. Cruise only guests will be reimbursed up to $250 per person for an extra night hotel stay in Singapore prior to the cruise. A faxed copy of the hotel charges assessed must be provided for reimbursement.

Also, if guests prefer, they can re-book on any Azamara sailing in 2013 (excluding: JR Aug 18, JR Dec 23, QS Jan 31, QS May 23, QS Jul 14 and QS Dec 28), in like accommodations, at protected rates.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel. If you have specific questions about your reservation, please contact your travel agent or your local booking office.

We apologize for any inconvenience this unexpected change may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill,

We hope we will be departing from Semarang at 10pm rather than 10am! What time will we depart from Benoa (0:00pm doesn't make sense)? Apart from that the new itinerary looks fine.

Thank you,

Kampol and Lee.

Bill,

We hope we will be departing from Semarang at 10pm rather than 10am! What time will we depart from Benoa (0:00pm doesn't make sense)? Apart from that the new itinerary looks fine.

Thank you,

Kampol and Lee.

Indeed we depart Semarang at 10:00 PM. We depart Benoa at 10:00 PM on Jan. 22.

Alice

Bill,

Thank you,

Kampol and Lee.

Does 0.00pm mean midnight, Jan 22, departing Benoa Bali? Also, does anyone know what "protected rates" are. Thank you.

Hello to Azamara Journey Jan. 13, 2013 Guests -

I'm very, very sorry for the terrible job in typing the revised itinerary. I'm sorry for the confusion I've created and here is the corrected version:

CORRECTED ITINERARY:

MON 14 Jan: Singapore/ Depart-10:00 PM

TUE 15 Jan: At Sea

WED 16 Jan: At Sea

THU 17Jan: Semarang, Indonesia/ Arrive-5:00 AM / Depart -10:00 PM

FRI 18 Jan: At Sea

SAT 19 Jan: Lombok, Indonesia / Arrive 7:00 AM / Depart - 5:30 PM

SUN 20 Jan: Komodo, Indonesia / Arrive - 9:00 AM / Depart - 6:30 PM

MON 21 Jan: Benoa, Bali, Indonesia / Arrive - 1:30 PM

TUE 22 Jan: Benoa, Bali, Indonesia / Depart - 10:00 PM

WED 23 Jan: Celukan Bawang, Bali, Indonesia/ Arrive - 7:00 AM / Depart- 6:00 PM

THU 24 Jan: At Sea

FRI 25 Jan: At Sea

SAT 26 Jan: Singapore / Arrive - 7:00 AM

Thank you for your patience with me.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Does 0.00pm mean midnight, Jan 22, departing Benoa Bali? Also, does anyone know what "protected rates" are. Thank you.

Hello Runaways -

"Protected rates" refers to the new tariff that you would be charged if you were to decide to cancel the January 13 Journey voyage. On your new voyage (exceptions noted), you would sail in "like accommodations" at the same rate you agreed to pay on the January 13, 2013 voyage.

It is an advantageous offer, if you decide to cancel.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Runaways -

"Protected rates" refers to the new tariff that you would be charged if you were to decide to cancel the January 13 Journey voyage. On your new voyage (exceptions noted), you would sail in "like accommodations" at the same rate you agreed to pay on the January 13, 2013 voyage.

It is an advantageous offer, if you decide to cancel.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thanks for the clarification Bill. One more question please: How would the tariff be calculated for a new voyage if a complimentary upgrade had been given on the original chosen & paid-for accommodations (not for operational reasons but for other/exceptional marketing reasons); would it be at the original category or the upgraded category? Thanks again.

Dear Bill,

Thanks for providing the update so quickly. It is positive that all the planned ports of call will still be included in this voyage.

I apologise in advance, as I have no doubt that you will get lots of queries / comments, regarding the delay to the departure of the cruise, and here is mine -

As a passenger who is travelling solo, and who has paid a hefty single supplement to travel in a suite on this upcoming voyage, I am a little concerned regarding the US$250pp figure proposed to cover an extra nights hotel accom in Singapore - that figure is fine, for 2 people sharing a room. (In my opinion, Azamara can't have it both ways - you can't charge me a single supplement, and then offer me a "per person" figure to cover hotel expenses.......) This is both a matter of principle, as someone who has had to suffer single supplements on many occasions, but also of financial reality.

I booked the extra nights accom in Singapore, as soon as the delay was flagged up (via a Cruise Critic member, and NOT via Azamara, which is another issue) - the room I booked, was the same type and in the same hotel, as the previous 2 nights that I am paying for on my own personal account, and I can assure you that US$250 will not cover it.

I have also provided this feedback via my UK travel agent, and no doubt this will be fed back to Azamara in UK, but I would also welcome the view from Azamara HQ.

Bill

Our question is will Azamara be adjusting the excursions we have booked to the revised dates (for Semarang, Lombok, Komodo and Benoa) or will we have to re-book them? Presumably the shore excursions will be updated on the website shortly to fit in with the revised dates?

New dates aren't posted (yet), so I'm assuming (a word I try never to use...) that we will be automatically switched. That said, I've just cancelled our single Borobudur temple tour for the combined dual temple tour. Cancelling the original reservation was a breeze, and re-booking the other tour was equally easy. One of the very few guide books I've been able to get my hands on indicated that there was just too much to do and see at either temple, and doing both was just too much. A second that I've just downloaded onto my tablet spoke of the major differences between the relatively contemporary Buddist vs Hindu temple complexes.Life is short, I don't know that I will ever get back to Java again, so two temples in one day it shall be, guide table in hand. I may be numb the next day, but that is why Azamara build the swimming pool and refurbished the steam room for me. The two of us can recover the next day, as our anti-malarial tablets start taking effect.

Oh, and Bill - hope everything went well for you the otherday. Thanks for your diligence. I'm sure you understand that when people shell out mega bucks for a boat ride and things unravel a bit, we can get a bit grumpy. Life is very short, and personally, I don't have enough time left to get grumpy. Thanks for the updates

David

Thanks for the clarification Bill. One more question please: How would the tariff be calculated for a new voyage if a complimentary upgrade had been given on the original chosen & paid-for accommodations (not for operational reasons but for other/exceptional marketing reasons); would it be at the original category or the upgraded category? Thanks again.

Hello Runaways -

Thank you for your hypothetical "brain-teaser" question asking if the booked guest were to opt to cancel and rebook on a new voyage whether the "protected" rate would still include the complimentary marketing category upgrade on the new eligible voyage selection.

Although I can make my own assumption about the eligibility, I am asking our Manager of Revenue Management for an official ruling on this situation.

Thanks for your patience while I wait for a reply.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Dear Bill,

Thanks for providing the update so quickly. It is positive that all the planned ports of call will still be included in this voyage.

I apologise in advance, as I have no doubt that you will get lots of queries / comments, regarding the delay to the departure of the cruise, and here is mine -

As a passenger who is travelling solo, and who has paid a hefty single supplement to travel in a suite on this upcoming voyage, I am a little concerned regarding the US$250pp figure proposed to cover an extra nights hotel accom in Singapore - that figure is fine, for 2 people sharing a room. (In my opinion, Azamara can't have it both ways - you can't charge me a single supplement, and then offer me a "per person" figure to cover hotel expenses.......) This is both a matter of principle, as someone who has had to suffer single supplements on many occasions, but also of financial reality.

I booked the extra nights accom in Singapore, as soon as the delay was flagged up (via a Cruise Critic member, and NOT via Azamara, which is another issue) - the room I booked, was the same type and in the same hotel, as the previous 2 nights that I am paying for on my own personal account, and I can assure you that US$250 will not cover it.

I have also provided this feedback via my UK travel agent, and no doubt this will be fed back to Azamara in UK, but I would also welcome the view from Azamara HQ.

Hello Macnotts -

Your point is well taken that the extra single supplement charge for which you will be responsible for the extra night in Singapore will exceed the amount allocated on a per person, double occupancy basis. I suggest that your travel agent contact our UK customer support team for an exception so that this extra expense can be covered based on a copy of the actual hotel charges assessed. I will have sent a copy of your message to the UK's Guest Support Unit Manager to be on the lookout for your request.

I will address your disappointment that you learned about this itinerary change on Cruise Critic rather than directly from Azamara separately.

I'm sorry for the deviation to your vacation plans and offer my best wishes for a wonderful Azamara experience ahead!

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Macnotts, M G Grey and other readers -

Perhaps I can address your disappointment about learning about the Journey's itinerary change indirectly on Cruise Critic rather than directly from Azamara. I can put this awkward situation into some perspective as a function of the transparency that has been created by the internet. As I stated on my initial post, when there are unexpected pending itinerary deviations, it has been our practice not to release the itinerary revisions to our booked guests until all the confirmations from the port agents have been received. Then at that time, and only at that time, the official notification process begins about the pending changes along with the compensation offers and other details.

I think in the "pre-internet days" we had more control over scheduling our communication and the decision to exercise centralized control worked. However on November 30, there was a new thread, Departure of 13-Jan-2013 Temples & Beaches Voyage in which the Journey's departure from Singapore was shown on the Singapore Cruise Centre website as January 14 rather than as January 13. Interestingly, at that exact same time, the Azamara reservation system was reporting that the "voyage has been closed in the system for inventory control" as a control measure if a new booking were requested or booked guests had questions. At no time, would there be communication about a pending itinerary modification.

Currently we do not mention pending itinerary redeployments until we have all the "ducks in a row." It's becoming more difficult, however, to "control the conversation" now that the internet, social media and message boards serve as "x-ray vision" into every detail of an operation, i.e. the Singapore Cruise Centre website presented the first "clue" that changes might be forthcoming on this specific voyage.

In this particular incident, we tested the concept of communicating on Cruise Critic that changes are "ahead" while the technical information is still being conducted and is unfinished. We're willing to share with you that there are some details we "don't know yet." We're still conducting our due-diligence to ensure that we present you with the final approved information.

Although the posters on Cruise Critic are satisfied with the "early-edition" story, clearly some guests are dissatisfied that they were not informed directly by Azamara. My question to you is if we were to have placed a similar message on our website or to have made a general comment in reservation would you and other booked guest have accepted that "heads-up" as sufficient notification and would have waited patiently until the complete details were available? Or have all of us become accustomed to constant updates as a function of the "24/7 news cycle" that our reservation team would have been overloaded with telephone calls seeking more information?

The notion of presenting major itinerary redeployments in stages needs to be reevaluated in order to ensure the integrity of our brand's communication. Please let me know your thoughts.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello January 14 Azamara Journey Travelers -

This weekend I checked with our shore excursion department and learned that the tour programs for the revised January 14, 2013 voyage need to be updated/revised for what is technically a "new" voyage and the work should be completed sometime next week on our website.

In the meantime, the rescheduling of the original January 13th departure to January 14th will require a very labor-intensive canceling and rebooking process based on how our shore excursion system is programmed. After each of you who decide to accept the revised shortened January 14 itinerary, then each "January 13th booking" will have to be cancelled and then rebooked to this new voyage. The pre-paid tours which you previously booked will be automatically cancelled and credited to your credit card, by the system.

I will let you know when the revised Land Discovery shore excursions for this "new" voyage will be available on the system. At that time, you will be able to rebook your shore excursions online.

We very much appreciate your understanding for this extra effort that requires you to rebook your shore excursions for this much anticipated experience.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello January 14 Azamara Journey Travelers -

This weekend I checked with our shore excursion department and learned that the tour programs for the revised January 14, 2013 voyage need to be updated/revised for what is technically a "new" voyage and the work should be completed sometime next week on our website.

In the meantime, the rescheduling of the original January 13th departure to January 14th will require a very labor-intensive canceling and rebooking process based on how our shore excursion system is programmed. After each of you who decide to accept the revised shortened January 14 itinerary, then each "January 13th booking" will have to be cancelled and then rebooked to this new voyage. The pre-paid tours which you previously booked will be automatically cancelled and credited to your credit card, by the system.

I will let you know when the revised Land Discovery shore excursions for this "new" voyage will be available on the system. At that time, you will be able to rebook your shore excursions online.

We very much appreciate your understanding for this extra effort that requires you to rebook your shore excursions for this much anticipated experience.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thank you Bill for checking out Azamara's position re 'Protected Rates/Upgrade or Original tariff to be applied', and await Azamara's response. One other issue regarding cancellation and rebooking of shore excursions - I assume the new shore excursion prices will be at the old 50% off rate - yes? I believe the rules on 50% off shore excursions changed 1st November; we specifically booked before then to ensure our excursions were at the lower cost. I am also hoping/expecting that we will receive a full refund that takes into account Overseas Transaction Fees charged by our bank on top of the cost of the shore excursions. We're working you overtime!! - sorry! Thank you.

Thank you Bill for checking out Azamara's position re 'Protected Rates/Upgrade or Original tariff to be applied', and await Azamara's response. One other issue regarding cancellation and rebooking of shore excursions - I assume the new shore excursion prices will be at the old 50% off rate - yes? I believe the rules on 50% off shore excursions changed 1st November; we specifically booked before then to ensure our excursions were at the lower cost. I am also hoping/expecting that we will receive a full refund that takes into account Overseas Transaction Fees charged by our bank on top of the cost of the shore excursions. We're working you overtime!! - sorry! Thank you.

Hello Runaways -

Of course you will be able to pre-book online your "new" shore excursions at least four days before sailing with the 50% Land Discoveries Savings. In fact, the US/Canada website shows that the "50% savings on Land Discoveries shore excursions is available through March 14, 2013 on the Azamara Quest and through May 1, 2013 on the Azamara Journey."

I'll need to check for a response on whether the refund for your "canceled" shore excursions will include also the Overseas Transaction Fees that will be charged by your bank. Please be patient while I seek clarification.

Further, there is no need to apologize for your questions which are understandable and were caused by our unexpected need to alter your planned itinerary.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Runaways -

Of course you will be able to pre-book online your "new" shore excursions at least four days before sailing with the 50% Land Discoveries Savings. In fact, the US/Canada website shows that the "50% savings on Land Discoveries shore excursions is available through March 14, 2013 on the Azamara Quest and through May 1, 2013 on the Azamara Journey."

I'll need to check for a response on whether the refund for your "canceled" shore excursions will include also the Overseas Transaction Fees that will be charged by your bank. Please be patient while I seek clarification.

Further, there is no need to apologize for your questions which are understandable and were caused by our unexpected need to alter your planned itinerary.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thanks again Bill. Rebooking our shore excursions should be easy then - and very glad there are no complications re the 50% off issue. Regarding the refund and Overseas Transaction Fees, I guess the best way would be to simply refund the exact amount that was charged to my Visa card - that would take care of both costs, as the charge INCLUDED the OTF.

You're doing a great job! Regards.

Hello Runaways -

I'm pleased to inform you that I've received confirmation from our revenue management group that in the scenario you presented, in which you decide on choosing a different sailing at the "protected" rate, that you would receive the same upgraded category that you had on the current sailing at the same rate.

I consider that "walking the talk" about protection!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

We have noticed the new Land Discoveries Brochure for the 14th January departure is now available to download (although all excursions from Benoa, Bali are missing). However, all excursion prices have increased by about 50% from the previous 13th January brochure. For example, EG08 "Borobudur Temple & Steam Train Ride" has increased from £70.50 to £104.00.

Bill, can you please explain these price increases?

We have noticed the new Land Discoveries Brochure for the 14th January departure is now available to download (although all excursions from Benoa, Bali are missing). However, all excursion prices have increased by about 50% from the previous 13th January brochure. For example, EG08 "Borobudur Temple & Steam Train Ride" has increased from £70.50 to £104.00.

As Kamlee pointed out, i too have viewed the revised Land Discoveries brochure for the cruise. Before the change of date was announced we had purchased 3 ship tours for my husband and myself. I was dismayed to discover all 3 tours are now advertised at a considerable price increase.Due to the circumstances of Azamara and not us altering the programme I ask are our original prices protected for these tours ? If this is the case how will this be administered within the rebooking process?

Thank you

Vicki Brown

Rabidcruiser UK

Firstly Kamlee, thanks for flagging up the recent problems with this cruise, very much appreciated.

Following the information posted on this website, we forwarded a copy to our Travel Agent in the UK, who has taken it up with Azamara UK, who have yet to send us confirmation.

We have heard from our Travel Agent today, that they agree a pro-rata refund on the cruise fare, but their figure does not match their invoice by some 10%. We are investigating. They say that all tours must be re- booked and that the price should not change ( contrary to what is on their website at the moment ).

Please monitor this as Azamara is not giving the same deal as has been suggested by Bill Leiber.

Comments please Bill.

Please note no compensation is being given for this ongoing hassle.

Hopefully when this is sorted, to all passengers satisfaction, we will see you at the Conrad in Singapore or onboard the journey.

Best Wishes.

Rabidcruiser and Wife

Ian and Wendy

P.S if you have booked through a UK TA, be aware that Azamara will not discuss anything with ref to the cruise directly with the customer. it has to go through the travel agent.

As Kamlee pointed out, i too have viewed the revised Land Discoveries brochure for the cruise. Before the change of date was announced we had purchased 3 ship tours for my husband and myself. I was dismayed to discover all 3 tours are now advertised at a considerable price increase.Due to the circumstances of Azamara and not us altering the programme I ask are our original prices protected for these tours ? If this is the case how will this be administered within the rebooking process?

Thank you

Vicki Brown

Prices for tour seen to be 50-60 % more expensive . Why? We are still doing same tour just on different day. Please can someone justify?

At 15.30hr we received a message from our TA to make contact - We have finally received confirmation of the change to the sailing date.

As were had already been given the thumbs up via cruisecritic we have secured a hotel in singapore for the 13th. Clearly the prices for the Conrad have shot up.

Desiree & John

Newcastle, UK

North America over here 2PM Wednesday. My AZ website is still showing departure on the 13th, and the excursions have not been updated. Not happy to hear about a price boost, but since I cannot do any bookings, yet, it hasn't affected us, yet. Poor Bill, this should cause just a bit more aceta.

Archived