Excursion In Belize???

RIvacationgirl

Just made final payment for my Western Caribbean cruise from Tampa in Feb. Yahoo!

Now looking at the excursions that are available. Has anyone gone on the Belize river cruise? This in intriguing to me, but would like some first hand comments.

Thanks!;)

You might also post in the Belize Port of Call forum. I'm not sure which NCL Belize river cruise you're referring to exactly since I don't see one named that on NCL's website. I have done 2 river-related excursions from NCL in Belize. I just did the Altun Ha and Olde Belize River excursion in November. And I did the Lamanai Ruins and River Safari one a couple years ago. The river portion of both of these was on a fast boat that held about 25-30 people. It goes fast enough that you need to hold on to your hat and some people might be bothered by the wind-in-the-face aspect of it. Water sprays up on both sides of the boat as you move along. In both cases, they frequently stopped and moved over to the shore so that you could observe iguanas, birds, monkeys, etc. that were spotted in the trees as we went by. To me, these boat trips were a LOT of fun and we enjoyed them immensely. Did you have any specific questions? or maybe we're talking about a different type excursion that I don't see listed on their general web site currently.

Just made final payment for my Western Caribbean cruise from Tampa in Feb. Yahoo!

Now looking at the excursions that are available. Has anyone gone on the Belize river cruise? This in intriguing to me, but would like some first hand comments.

Thanks!;)

Although I have never done an excursion I can tell you that all of the passengers on the Spirit last March raved about their excursions in Belize. It is truly the port to do an X ion.

1. because its a tender port, so I would book thru NCL only because it is a guarantee on the timing and departure.

2. I took the tender in to tour the town. The little area where the tender puts in has nada. Then I stupidly left the High Walled Dock area(Wall should have been a clue). I walked out one gate and 60 seconds later I ran back in the other. I had at least ...and I kid you not...50 poor Belezeans descend on me trying to sell me anything from drugs to their sisters for sex. I was terrified and I am a big guy. Do not leave the walled area and do an Excursion in Belize over the other ports.

I am also looking at Belize excursions (in fact the two meheartcruising talks about).

Meheartcruising-which did you prefer and why, please?

The river portion of both excursions are virtually identical in style and duration. So that part doesn't help make the decision. I would give a slight edge to the one the goes to Lamanai. The high temple ruin that you can climb is worth going in itself. The Altun Ha ruins can also be climbed on, however, they aren't as dramatic and they also have been somewhat "repaired" with some concrete like substance in areas that made it seem a little less authentic to me. But Altun Ha is still worth going to. There are more structures to look at, for example, I think. But if I had to pick one, I'd go to Lamanai first. Save Altun Ha for your next trip to Belize.

Although I have never done an excursion I can tell you that all of the passengers on the Spirit last March raved about their excursions in Belize. It is truly the port to do an X ion.

1. because its a tender port, so I would book thru NCL only because it is a guarantee on the timing and departure.

2. I took the tender in to tour the town. The little area where the tender puts in has nada. Then I stupidly left the High Walled Dock area(Wall should have been a clue). I walked out one gate and 60 seconds later I ran back in the other. I had at least ...and I kid you not...50 poor Belezeans descend on me trying to sell me anything from drugs to their sisters for sex. I was terrified and I am a big guy. Do not leave the walled area and do an Excursion in Belize over the other ports.

I would second the idea of only booking through NCL on this port because the tendering is a bit long. Others have said 20 minutes but I swear my three times there, it has been no less than 45 minutes from the time I stepped on the tender to getting off of it at the ship.

Our first time to Belize two years ago, we did the NCL sponsored tour to Altun Ha Ruins, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The trip was made on an air-conditioned bus.

Just came back from the Western Caribbean tour on NCL Dawn today...we did the cave-tubing this time. We booked with ViV Tours. I decided this after reading numerous reviews and recommendations on this site and trip advisor.

We absolutely LOVED this excursion!! There is an approximate 45 minute hike to where you get in the water. The trail is covered in river rock, so a little rough when walking in water shoes. But there is flat dirt trails on each edge most of the way also. You definitely need water shoes. I booked with ViV because their tubes have a mesh bottom and have head rests. The tubes also interlock with each other. I had read some other companies have people put their feet under the arms of the person in front of them. However, I did not notice this on our excursion when other excursions were near us.

As far as physical condition, we had people of different ages and physical condition (some thin, some heavier) and I did not notice anyone having any trouble. However, if you have trouble walking well (knee problems, etc), this may be one you would want to skip. The hike may be too difficult.

Forgot this: the ride to the caves takes 1 hour 15 minutes. We left the port at 9:00 am and were back at 3:00 pm.

Our last tender was at 4:30 so we had plenty of time. However, a couple from a Carnival ship - their last tender was at 3:30 pm. To me, that is cutting it a little too close for comfort. I think about the what ifs: flat tire, van breaking down, etc.

So, I would consider your time in port for the day if you want to do cave-tubing. It is offered as a ship excursion too, if you feel safer doing that.

A couple years ago I booked a carnival cruise which was supposed to include a stop in Belize. Carnival at the time was in a dispute with tender operators as to the fare carnival would pay.

The "line" we were given was along the lines of dangerous conditions in Belize. By the way they vaguely described it, Belize was either undergoing some sort civil insurrection or a rabid chupacabra epidemic. For our "safety", Costa Maya was the alternate stop.

As far as being dangerous, Belize City is pretty benign "beyond the wall" but I compare from the perspective of going to grad school on the edge of downtown Detroit where you knew spring arrived because the hookers starting wearing "hot pants" again. Where ever you go, if you carry yourself like a "victim" you've got a better chance at being one.

I've got a western Carib cruise coming up in a couple of months and I think I'm going to try the cave tubing this time.

BTW, I know a guy who has gotten kind of nutty in his advancing years who is insistent the "Belizian agents" are monitoring him via his computer screen. I told him he needed to get a ground strap for his aluminum foil hat to get rid of the static charge buildup.

I was just on the Carnival Liberty during Thanksgiving, and we did a cave tubing tour while in Belize. It was an amazing experience. Really enjoyed it! Our tour company was also so good! http://www.cave-tubing.bz! Check them out. Our guide was incredibly smart and knowledgeable about everything, seriously, he was a 23 yr old kid who knew more about the US than we did. They also provide lunch and drink back at the company owners house. It was a great time. If you book with them, ask for Robin as your guide.

BTW, I know a guy who has gotten kind of nutty in his advancing years who is insistent the "Belizian agents" are monitoring him via his computer screen. I told him he needed to get a ground strap for his aluminum foil hat to get rid of the static charge buildup.

Thanks, it did work, no more static electricity build up anymore!Lifes a whole lot better now.:p

I'm totally floored here -- Belize has THE second largest reef on the planet after great barrier reef in australia ---

snorkeling is where it's at!!!! I can't imagine riding a tube thru a cave when there is Sooooo much beautful unique wildlife 3 ft down under a boat.....

Carnival we did this excursion thru the ship -- I don't know if NCL has one - but it's soooo relaxing --

unless your preference is to climb stuff - then you should do that :)

I'm totally floored here -- Belize has THE second largest reef on the planet after great barrier reef in australia ---

snorkeling is where it's at!!!! I can't imagine riding a tube thru a cave when there is Sooooo much beautful unique wildlife 3 ft down under a boat.....

Carnival we did this excursion thru the ship -- I don't know if NCL has one - but it's soooo relaxing --

unless your preference is to climb stuff - then you should do that :)

For those who don't snorkle (I have a vision issue and cannot), we choose other things. We will be cave tubing and possibly zip lining when we stop the first week in January.

Cave-tubing is another great day-trip. I wouldn't do it through NCL again, rather with a private operator.

We did the jungle ATV and cave tubing combo from the "butts up" guys. Great excursion, we did an extra cave that those who bookedc through the cruise line didn't get, plus the ATV part of it. It was a full day but the price of it booking ourselves was great and we had no problem catching their large bus when we got off the Star. I'd highly recommend it.

All of your comments have been very helpful.

I do have some knee problems so the trek to the caves on uneven ground does not seem to be for me. It is helpful to know that the tender boat takes a somewhat long time. I am leaning towards the Altun Ha and the Old Belize River Tour. Do you have the option of leaving the tour earlier than the 6 hours and returning to the ship?

All of your comments have been very helpful.

I do have some knee problems so the trek to the caves on uneven ground does not seem to be for me. It is helpful to know that the tender boat takes a somewhat long time. I am leaning towards the Altun Ha and the Old Belize River Tour. Do you have the option of leaving the tour earlier than the 6 hours and returning to the ship?

I think Major Tom- Belize does that trip. You can google and contact him to see if you can make it shorter.

He is a very nice gentleman !!

CrusinTogether. Thanks for your post, we are planning on booking this rather then the NCL cave tubing tour so very glad to hear how much you enjoyed it.

We actually took a longer hike than the ship sponsored tour (or what we were told) and went through TWO caves where the others got out after the first cave. Our tour did not include lunch however. We weren't interested in eating lunch so this was fine with us.

You will not be disappointed!

Archived