Regarding extra tips and OBC

Muushka

We're going on our cruise next week and I just want to be sure I understand the protocol.

We understand the pre-paid tips, all set there. Our question is about the extra tips that some of the staff really deserve.

If we use our OBC towards it, am I understanding correctly that there is a chance that they will have to share these tips?

We have a bit of OBC (14 night cruise) so it would be better to use that, but if it will come at the expense of our wonderful waiters or room stewards, we won't use the OBC.

So, what is the final answer?

PS Also I realized (too late) that in order to use OBC towards extra tips, you have to do it a few days before the cruise is complete, don't wait until the last night like we did!

I always give the extra tips directly to the person deserving of it, in cash, from money I take with me. I have never tried to withdraw an OBC to pay it as tips and would not know if that is even possible. The prepaid gratuities are distributed among the waiters and cabin housekeeping personnel using a formula. But I always tip extra as these folks are supporting a lot of family back in their home countries.

Archived