Tip question

tribbs1

I've read some of the threads w/ suggestions about amounts for tips (3.50/day for cabin stewards, etc.). Now, is this amount per cabin or per person? We have two cabins w/three people in each (2 adults, 4 kids). Per person this would be a huge amount of a tip for not that much work. Can someone clarify this for me. Thanks so much.

Your tips will be applied to your S&S account, $10 per person, per day... this includes your housekeeping staff, and wait staff (regarldless of where you dine)... The stewards and wait staff actually do MORE for children, so it is more work for them... I believe if the children are under 2, the tips doesn't apply? I think it's 2...

Thanks for your answers. Although I do have my doubts about more work because of the kids (mine are 16,15,15,10). The kids rarely eat w/ us in the dining room and usually grab from the pizza parlor or buffet or if at all. (my grocery bill would be a lot less if they ate like this at home!!!) Wow, $10/day for the room steward is a lot more than I pay housekeeping at really nice hotels. They have a lot more room to clean too. Oh well, I'll chalk it up to another unexpected vacation expense ($420 in tips for 7 days!!!!) All-inclusive is looking better and better for next year's vacation.

Per person this would be a huge amount of a tip for not that much work. Can someone clarify this for me. Thanks so much.

As previously mentioned, the amount you hear about is per person per day. If this is your first cruise, you are underestimating the amount of work that your cabin steward does especially when you have children in the room.

When you see how hard the cabin staff and the wait staff work, you will realize that the suggested $420 for your family of 6 for a week cruise is a fare amount.

Thanks for your answers. Although I do have my doubts about more work because of the kids (mine are 16,15,15,10). The kids rarely eat w/ us in the dining room and usually grab from the pizza parlor or buffet or if at all. (my grocery bill would be a lot less if they ate like this at home!!!) Wow, $10/day for the room steward is a lot more than I pay housekeeping at really nice hotels. They have a lot more room to clean too. Oh well, I'll chalk it up to another unexpected vacation expense ($420 in tips for 7 days!!!!) All-inclusive is looking better and better for next year's vacation.

Here is the breakdown, someone already posted the link

What is the tipping policy onboard?

spacer.gifGuests can pay their shipboard gratuities in one of two ways:

1. Reverse Gratuity Policy - For our guests' convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the onboard Sail & Sign account on embarkation day.

Guests will have the discretion to adjust these gratuities based upon the level of service received during the cruise. This includes the option to adjust gratuities (up or down) for any individual on the Dining or Housekeeping staff. In order to do so, the guest will need to visit the Information Desk on board.

2. Pre-Paid Gratuity Policy - Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or any time up to two weeks prior to the sail date.

All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities, with the exception of children under two. The pre-paid gratuities can not be removed once the booking has been ticketed. The guest will not have the option to adjust the gratuities (up or down) based on the level of service received during the cruise.

The dollar amount of the gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest copy on the cruise ticket will indicate if gratuities have been paid.

The total amount will be $10 per guest, per day, which breaks down as follows:

• $5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter and Waiter)
  • $1 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)
  • $3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)

Tipping the Maitre D' is strictly at guest's discretion, based upon services rendered. For guests who wish to extend this gratuity in cash, an envelope will be available on the last evening of the cruise.

Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service.

Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bell Boys - Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.

Note: Guests under two years of age are not required to extend gratuiti

The tips include the other eating venues as well... regardless of where they eat. Your children (I'm assuming) shower, use the bathrooms, sleep in a bed, etc... so being older, I would certainly consider them worthy of the tips... 3 people in a cabin is going to be work, regardless... It is just part of the cost of cruising... and even with tipping, cruising always comes out to be less than any of the all inclusives I have done... it's still a great value!!:D

We've always been treated so well and received really great service that I've never minded giving the tips and always end up giving extra to the outstanding room stewards and wait staff that we have been lucky enough to get! If you've never cruised before, you will probably change your mind after you get off the ship. I enjoy being spoiled and pampered for the week!:)

Julie

Thanks again. I realize that my kids do make a mess, but as their mother I do tend to make them pick up their cabin etc. I am not disputing that cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming the room wont be necessary, all I am saying is that $10/day for the steward is more than I would ever pay housekeeping at a fine hotel. Also, I tend to clean up after them as well (you know, the embarassment factor!!!) Aside from that, we are not opposed to tipping and do do it regulary at bars, restaurants, etc., but rarely does someone get hit w/ a tip bill of $420at one time. It must be the shock of it that I am currently experiencing. Thinking how great it is that my vacation is all paid for - NOT!!. For the record, this cruise is costing us a lot more than our last 1 week AI in Mexico (and drinks were included!!) We're going to have a great time and who cares, it's only money and you can't take it with you when you go to your final resting place.:)

If you know ahead of time that your kids wont be eating in the dining room have your agent note this in your booking. That way chairs wont be reserved for them and the waiter can earn his tips. If the kids dont have chairs I would not tip the full amount but tip something since he wait staff does work the buffet area on their off time.

ps- the cabin steward is only getting 3.50pp per day of that 10 bucks. but a family of 4 he will be getting 14.00 a day. Considering your cabin will only be cleaned twice a day--one in the morning and again at night. (you could aslo ask the steward only clean up at night. (we did that on our first cruise)

If the kids have their own room that may be something to consider.

Believe me, I'm 21 years old and teenagers, as much as their parents seem to think they have the best kids when it comes to cleaning, or make them clean it up, they still make a mess. And regardless of whether or not you make them make their beds, fold their towels/hang them up after use, whatever, the steward still has to do the same amount of work. My cabin steward everyday was out cleaning the balcony glass--something I never expected to be clean, but there were fingerprints, which constituted cleaning.

We're going to have a great time and who cares, it's only money and you can't take it with you when you go to your final resting place.:)

There you go! That's the right attitude!:)

I know what you mean, though. Sometimes, these 'extras' can be a culture shock, but ... your booking agent SHOULD have explained all this to you when you booked your cruise.

The great thing is that your cabin steward will be in your cabin at least twice a day. He/she will not only clean the cabin and vacuum, clean the bathroom and leave fresh towels, etc., but will fill your ice bucket twice a day, come back later (while you're at dinner) and do 'turn-down service', with a mint on your pillow, and probably a towel animal (cute), and leave a copy of the "Capers" for you.

If you need anything extra, blankets, pillows, etc., he's the one to provide those. Also - he's on call during the entire cruise. (Stewards are usually off-duty only from noon-5pm.) BUT, there's a phone with a number to reach him otherwise. You'll see what we mean about how hard these guys work, and they have many cabins to take care of, not just yours.

Hope y'all have a wonderful cruise.:)

The $10/per day per person is really not that much when you consider it is SPLIT among many people who wait on you and your family throughout the day while you are on the cruise. Cabin attendants probably frequently have the worse jobs - take a look at what some cabins look like as you walk down the hallways and they are inside cleaning. I mean total messes. When I see that I think no amount of tip is enough.

No one seems to think their own kids are messy - and maybe a few are not, but still they will use bed linens, towels, the shower, toilets, etc. the exact same as the adults. The cabin attendant has to clean up after them twice a day just as they do for adults.

Why would anyone think a tip, or a reduced tip, is not necessary in these circumstances is always a mystery to me. It's sort of like going to a restuarant and 5 people ordering dinner, you tip on the total amount -- not a reduced amount based on the fact that 3 of those people may be only 16 yrs old. Should a hair stylist get less tip because the "customer" is 15 instead of 35? The same amount of work goes into the job. Same thing for cabin attendants.

I would take a wait and see. We were on the Victory and had the WORST Waite Staff. and the Worst Cabin person.

And trust me when I tell you after 6 Carnival cruise's we DID NOT tip the normal.

They give you this figure of $10.00 for a guide line.

When you are taking a family of 5 or 6 I would not feel bad if you can't meet the 10.00 per day amount.

I believe their are more then not that tip the cabin person MORE.

We always give a extra 20.00 at the end of the week. Heck on the Destiny we had a WONDERFUL person and gave him a extra 50.

Don't loose sleep over this. Tip what you want.

After all it is a TIP!!!

Yes before you flame me I know how much these people make.. Thanks

Yes before you flame me ....

Deb&Bert:

Indeed you may get flamed or even labeled as; 'the kind of cruiser I hate...' but I agree with you. :)

We will be going as a family of five which comes to $350.00 for the week based on the recommended tipping as listed above. I also plan to tip the Camp Carnival counselors and any service personel my boys utilize as well. Even though I doubt my boys will be eating in the dining room each day, I plan to tip as recommended plus additional amounts to our wait staff as service warrants. Our room steward will be well taken care of initially as well as throughout the week; $122.50 standard plus initial and incidental.

I do reserve the right to reduce tips as service, or lack thereof, dictates. In all honesty, I doubt I'll pay much attention to any of the services I receive or the level of service; I plan to relax and enjoy the varied scenery and not think or worry about anything at all. Service will really have to suck for me to notice. ;) :)

Not sure why this is considered an unexpected expense. Didn't anyone tell you tipping was expected and how much? Didn't you receive any info about what was included and not included when you booked?

As for the kids not eating in the dining roon, often it is the same wait staff that works the buffet and pizza areas.

Norma

all I am saying is that $10/day for the steward is more than I would ever pay housekeeping at a fine hotel. Also, I tend to clean up after them as well (you know, the embarassment factor!!!) Aside from that, we are not opposed to tipping and do do it regulary at bars, restaurants, etc., but rarely does someone get hit w/ a tip bill of $420at one time. It must be the shock of it that I am currently experiencing. Thinking how great it is that my vacation is all paid for - NOT!!. For the record, this cruise is costing us a lot more than our last 1 week AI in Mexico (and drinks were included!!) We're going to have a great time and who cares, it's only money and you can't take it with you when you go to your final resting place.:)

Sounds like you are confused to me. The $10 per person per day is for everything. This includes wait staff etc. not just your room steward. Hope this helps. These people in my experiance are worth every penny. Have fun. :)

I've read some of the threads w/ suggestions about amounts for tips (3.50/day for cabin stewards, etc.). Now, is this amount per cabin or per person? We have two cabins w/three people in each (2 adults, 4 kids). Per person this would be a huge amount of a tip for not that much work. Can someone clarify this for me. Thanks so much.

tribbs1:

The amount is per person, not per cabin. In your case it would be; 6 x $3.50 = $21.00 per day for the cabin stewards servicing your cabins. (Six people @ $10 per day with $3.50/$10.00 going to the cabin stewards)

Assuming your cruise is for seven days, you'll be tipping your cabin stewards $147.00 for the week. (7 x $21.00)

Now, now, now, thanks everyone for your input. I do realize that the steward gets $3.50/pp per day. The $10 I posted was for 3 people per room so he would really get $10.50 per day for each room. And yes, I am aware that you tip on a cruise just like anywhere else for service, I just hadn't calculated the total cost for the trip. If you tip here and there you never quite realize how much you have tipped, but to have it in black and white and one lump sum on your bill will give you pause. I am not opposed to tipping, really!!!! I am just figuring out the total cost of our trip and I am at $8100 (2 cabins, airfare for 6, tipping, excursions, airport transp., and night before hotel) before extras such as drinks and soda cards, souvenirs, pictures, etc. It has added up to more than I expected is all. Just a little shock to the system. Do not worry, I will not stiff any of the staff. I know they work hard, long hours for not much pay. I am determined to try this cruising one more time and darn it all I will enjoy it!!!

Thanks again. I realize that my kids do make a mess, but as their mother I do tend to make them pick up their cabin etc. I am not disputing that cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming the room wont be necessary, all I am saying is that $10/day for the steward is more than I would ever pay housekeeping at a fine hotel. Also, I tend to clean up after them as well (you know, the embarassment factor!!!) Aside from that, we are not opposed to tipping and do do it regulary at bars, restaurants, etc., but rarely does someone get hit w/ a tip bill of $420at one time. It must be the shock of it that I am currently experiencing. Thinking how great it is that my vacation is all paid for - NOT!!. For the record, this cruise is costing us a lot more than our last 1 week AI in Mexico (and drinks were included!!) We're going to have a great time and who cares, it's only money and you can't take it with you when you go to your final resting place.:)

The 10.00 per day is not "just" for the steward, it covers all of the staff that wait on you throughout the day.:)

Has anyone ever thought that is Carnival PAID their OWN PEOPLE better wages then maybe we would not even be having this conversation???

They paid their staff crapp and then make the guest feel like if we don't leave the amount CARNIVAL feels we need to it makes us look and feel

bad.

Tips are suppose to be to your discretion.

When you go out to eat and you get bad service you don't think twice about not giving 20% OR 15% OR EVEN 10%

But yet on a cruise your a rotten person if you fall short!!!!!

It all falls back to CARNIVAL. They know that its human nature to take care of the under dog!!!!!!!

And once again.. That is the person who cruises!!!!!

Archived