B2B or Rental in the FL Keys - What Would You Do?

aarinsmama

If you've never been to the Keys, I highly recommend it.

I've lived in FL for 12 years and sadly, only been to the Keys once. We rented a house on Summerland Key, right on the water in the Straits of Florida and it was just an amazing week. 20 minutes from Key West, snorkeling, diving, swimming in our pool overlooking the water.

Definitely the B2B. The keys are great for about 2 days and with kids they will be bored. As everyone said it is very expensive. Certainly a fun place to visit but if you are at all active, not for more than a couple of days. You might even consider staying around Key Largo (if you want to visit the keys)

and take a day trip to Key West. That way you can still have time to explore the other keys or head north. I still vote for B2B. Also if you are going to Key West watch what time you go....lobster season at the end of July, beginning of August and very crowded on the roads.

There's tons to do!

Key West, of course, has all kinds of great things depending on your flavor. We did the Old Town Trolley for the day. Plenty of historical places to check out.

There's snorkeling and diving Looe Key.

Kayaking, boating, jet skiing (we had dolphins visit us when we rented ours).

Eat conch fritters. YUM.

You can visit Bahia Honda State Park.

Enjoy all the quirky sights on Islamorada.

Take a trip out to the Dry Tortugas.

See the key deer on Big Pine Key.

Visit Pigeon Key, where the workers who built the Seven Mile Bridge lived.

Or just watch the world go by on island time.

As a Fl native who has spent some time in the Keys, I'd do a back to back cruise any day. If you rent a house in Key West, you have to buy groceries, you have to cook...where is the vacation? As others have said, food prices tend to be a bit higher in Key West, so eating out 3 meals a day plus house rental would probably work out to be about the same cost as a cruise, if not more. To me, 2 stops in Grand Turk would be heaven...the beach is much nicer than the beaches in the Keys! To my knowledge, the only Key West hotel with a private beach is the Casa Marina (it used to be Marriott, I think it's owned by Waldorf Astoria, i.e., Hilton now). To stay a week there is pretty pricey. As others have said, without a beach, I'd think kids would get bored unless they are happy with a pool at rental house.

But surprising your DH with a back to back...I'd think that would be a thrill!! Even if you switched ships, maybe to a cheaper fantasy class ship, it would still be fun! A back to back cruise is definitely on our bucket list!! I think it's a great birthday surprise!!

Maybe you could surprise him with a different set of options.....lets move to post cruise....maybe you could stay in Ft. Lauderdale on Los Olas Blvd for a few days. The nights for you and him and during day family time. The Hard Rock is another great option. Maybe you could jump a small plane to the Bahamas and go to Atlantis for a couple of days! If he hunts or fishes you could set up a hunt or charter for him. Just thoughts.....

Was just going to say that. Try key colony beach in marathon.

My DH and I have been to Key West several times (including fantasy fest once... WOW!). It's fun and beautiful and we'd definitely go back in a heartbeat but when my 15yo stepson wanted to take our family vacation there we veto'd the idea. The beaches are nearly as pretty as the caribbean and we had no absolutely no idea what we'd do with a kid in tow. It's definitely more of an adult town.

Here's a pic from the beach just to show you what I meant... it's still pretty and I'm happy to be on the beach but it's not like what you might be used to.

2dkwq5j.jpg

If it were me...I'd do the B2B cruise. The main reason is your bringing 3 kids.

My wife and I had cruised many times in the past and always wanted to do a B2B. Like many people...the last day isn't the best on the ship as you know its coming to an end and you have to pack to go home, have to get up early to begin the long leg home, and then get back to reality. We finally did a B2B and it was great. We did have to change rooms and move our stuff from one room to another as we had a suite the first week and balcony the next, but it was no big deal. I'd suggest getting the nicer room for the second week as it did blow going from a suite to a balcony...but as I say, "a cruise is better than no cruise at all." LOL It was nice having the ship all to yourself along with about 20 other passengers for a few hours who were doing B2B also. The second week was way more relaxing to us. We'd seen most of the shows etc the first week so we just went more with the flow the second week and it was more relaxing. I was amazed even with the staff that didn't take care of us the first week that remembered us on the second week as many staff stopped us and just to let us know they remembered us from the first week and welcomed us back.

I usually take a trip to for 4-7 days to Key West every year as well as I got married there. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I just told my wife the other day I'm ready to pack my bags and move there.LOL As many have mentioned...Key West can be expensive and the costs will add up. I think if you added up all the costs of key west with lodging, car, parking, food, activities, etc...the cruise would be cheaper and you'd not have to worry too much about the kids being bored. If you already rented a home...thats a big cost. If you have a car...parking can be a problem and short supply in downtown as well as you have to pay the "meters" to park. If your bringing your three kids...I'm not sure of the ages but it's not real kid friendly. As most have mentioned...the beaches arent real big or great. The sand there gets brought in from the Bahamas. Depending on what time of the year you go, the kelp washes up on the beach like in some of the pics posted to this thread and it stinks pretty bad.

We were in the Keys with our three kids. 6, 7, and 9.

The Keys are VERY different from "Key West".

I agree. We did Grassy Key for a couple days as well. Definitely preferred that to key west but still, Hollywood is a great family place!

We really enjoyed the Keys - we staying in the middle keys for 5 days and in Key West for 2 days. If I had to do it again, I stay in the middle keys and just drive to Key West for a day.

As others have said the Key's are on the expensive side. We stayed at Conch Key Cottages - had a nice cottage that had a small kitchen and it's own outside private jacuzzi. They have a small beach and a heated pool as well. A Kayak is included in the rental. They deliver breads, coffee, tea and small oranges that you can juice (juicer provided) every morning. That was our breakfast. We went to Marathon to a grocery store and bought some food and did a little cooking but also ate out. We just found the it to be very relaxing yet there were things to do that were within close driving distance that kids would like.

How about getting off the breeze and going to a different ship?

I did consider that. The itineraries that I would prefer wouldn't leave until the following day. Not that that's a deal breaker, necessarily, because we could stay at a hotel under the guise that we'll be flying home early the next morning, only to catch a cab to the port instead of the airport. I guess I am a bit concerned though, about going from the Breeze to a fantasy class ship, which all of my options would be.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look around a bit more and see what I can find.

Instead of driving south, try going north to Hollywood, FL. It's a great beach town with a boardwalk, shops, etc... I have done the keys for 10'days and Hollywood for 8 and Hollywood wins hands down!

Hmmm, I haven't even heard of Hollywood FL (we're on the Hollywood CA side of the country!). I will do some research on things to do there. Thanks!!!

Your Husband is going to be thrilled, lucky guy. I wish my husband would do something like that for me!!

That's sweet, but I'm the lucky one. He works 48 hour shifts for his regular schedule, and then willingly works lots of overtime to support our family. Single incomes are difficult in CA, but we make it work because he works so hard. He's amazing, and he deserves a trip where HE can be the spoiled one!!!;)

Two days max in Key West would be all you would want. And I truly believe it would be a big let down getting off a ship for a land vacation, the other way around wouldn't be too bad.

I would go for a B2B but I think if it were me I would look at one of the Royal Carribean ships get off the one he knows about and onto the other and you and your children would have a great time.

When is this planned for?

Keep us posted

I had to chuckle when I read your post.....Last year, DH and I were pondering exactly the same thing as you - only difference is we were not travelling with any kids. We were going to be doing our 5th cruise and had tried a B2B once before, but wondered if we should try a week on land and a week at sea. SO, we decided upon a week in Key West. I was shocked when I started to shop around for accommodations in Key West and it wasn't until I had done some research that I discovered it was Fantasy Fest weekin Key West. It's a HUGE week long festival that winds up the day after Halloween and the majority of the "activities" (think: absolutely anything goes - you will see things you've maybe never seen before and certainly not in public !) happen at night. Nothing I would ever ever takes kids to. We decided to go anyway, but booked the Marriott Beachside (a very small man made beach, not reminding me of any Caribbean beach I've seen) which was a fair jaunt from the downtown area where all of the activity was. We ventured downtown two of the five evenings we were in K.W. - Had fun - one big street party with wall to wall people. We also went golfing twice and walking around the city, but there was not too much to do and I would honestly think that kids would get bored pretty easily. Zoom ahead to this Fall, where we did a B2B on the Liberty....and as soon as we get home we (I) start planning our holiday for next Fall. DH and I were discussing it and decided on another B2B - on the Breeze - pretty sure we are doing those itineraries you were speaking of where you stop at Grand Turk twice ?? I think the kids have to factor big in your decision - whatever you decided - have a blast !!

Eeeek! It would be in late October, so I'll definitely steer away from Key West with the kids in tow! Thanks for the heads up!

For the past several years, the wife and I have spent a week in the Keys followed by a 7 day cruise out of Miami. Since I am retired Navy we stay on base down in Kew West on the cheap. Food and booze are my main expences in KW. We are doing the same next year, just have not decided which ship to ride. Either way would be a nice vacation.

Archived