Books based in Puerto Rico?

Xcitdcruiser

Hello, I'm hoping you could help-

I'm wanting to buy a book based in Puerto Rico / Caribbean for husband to be to build a little excitement.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would prefer non - fiction ...

He's into crime / drugs, & found that there is a a captured criminal ' Junior Capsula' referred to as "the Pablo Escobar of the Caribbean' - although cannot find a book on him - & this would be perfect!

Any suggestions welcome!

Hello, I'm hoping you could help-

I'm wanting to buy a book based in Puerto Rico / Caribbean for husband to be to build a little excitement.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would prefer non - fiction ...

He's into crime / drugs, & found that there is a a captured criminal ' Junior Capsula' referred to as "the Pablo Escobar of the Caribbean' - although cannot find a book on him - & this would be perfect!

Any suggestions welcome!

One of my favorites books its wrote by a Puerto Rican author Esmeralda Santiago.. books name is ]When I was Puerto Rican, you can read her biography http://www.esmeraldasantiago.com/

This is the first book in a police series. I think there are 7 so far

Precinct Puerto Rico : book one / Steven Torres.

Caribbean moon by Rick Murcer -this is a murder mystery that takes place on a cruise ship out of Puerto Rico

Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk

Caribbean Cops: Detectives Jose "Plato" Gomez & Gary Arlaud assigned by Stephan M. Arleaux

You can get the book or watch the movie The Rum Diary, a novel by Hunter S. Thompson and a movie starring Johnnie Depp.

The Junior Capsula affair is pretty recent so there are no books about that.

Rum Diary - Johnnie Depp - decided on the dvd so that I can get some enjoyment also :)

I'd be very keen for an account of Junior Capsula when it's released!

If you're into history, war, conquest, diplomacy, treaties, law, constitution and all matters legal and political as to how Puerto Rico became part of the U.S., I would recommend two books:

The War with Spain in 1898 by David F. Trask

Puerto Rico: The Trials of the Oldest Colony in the World by José Trías Monge

If you would like a lighter, pictorial history of the island, I would suggest Roger La Brucherie's series Images of Puerto Rico and Puerto Rico Borinquen Querida - A Loving Portrait of an Island.

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is not non-fiction but it is a very good historical fiction about the colonial era of Puerto Rico. Conquistadora by the same Esmeralda Santiago mentioned above. Really good book. Brought out the history of the early settlers and yet was a good story about the individuals in the book. Gave me some insight into the Spanish settlers vs. the native population as well as the sugar cane industry and its demise. Highly recommend it.

If you want some fiction or poetry, Derek Walcott is considered the great Caribbean poet. He has amazing plays and poems and a novel called omeros. Highly recommend it all. Google love after love by him for a taste of his poems.

Posted from my Android

What a great idea! I love this thread! :D

I read Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton before a Caribbean trip a couple years ago. (not specifically PR) Simple but entertaining!

Sweet! I just purchased Pirate Latitudes. I buy a Caribbean themed book each cruise to read on the plane/ship. Good to know it's entertaining!

Not specifically Puerto Rican themed books but all Caribbean based, here's a few books I've enjoyed reading my last few cruises:

Seasoned By Salt-Jerry L. Mashaw and Anne U. MacClintlock

An Embarrassment Of Mangos-Ann Vanderhoof

A Trip To The Beach-Melinda And Robert Blackwood

Skinny Dip-Carl Hiaasen

A Salty Piece Of Land-Jimmy Buffett

You can get the book or watch the movie The Rum Diary, a novel by Hunter S. Thompson and a movie starring Johnnie Depp.

The Junior Capsula affair is pretty recent so there are no books about that.

So I ended up watching The Rum Diary - didn't 'LOVE' it , but J.Depp & the scenery certainly made up for it. Gorgeous shots of Puerto Rico, really got us excited.

Also watched Act of Valor (excellent movie!) which was based in the rainforest & that was really cool also knowing that we'll be visiting !

• 3 weeks later...

Although this wouldn't suit your needs, I grew up in PR and if my failing memory serves me right, there was a Hardy Boys book about San Juan. I think the name was the Clue at Skeleton Rock.

Aviator, I am so glad you wrote the name Jose Trias Monge. I had a friends (back in the 50s and 60s we called Butch. I had tried to look him up, but had never learned to spell his name. Now I know. I think he went to Philips Exeter, but not sure.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Archived