Which dining for group of 9 for Alaska

emeltee

We did MTD (what it's called on RCI) with a group of 7 ppl and it was a disaster. They (the MTD dining staff) wanted the group to book either 6:00 or 8:30 every night...the point of the whole thing was to eat when we wanted to and not have an assigned time. It was a crowded mess with some nights we were seated in tables too small, sometimes tables too large.
Some Maitre d's allow a reservation any time during the evening, some just before 6:00 and after 8:00, some allow you to make a reservation for the entire cruise, some will take reservations only for that night. There is no set policy or consistency. This is why one person's experience with a large group can be completely unlike another's.

One of the problems with a group of nine is that the vast majority of the larger tables are set for eight. Very few, if any, are set for ten. With nine, they either have to squeeze in another place setting, which will crowd you, or change the tabletop, which takes time. Nine is an awkward number if you all want to sit together.

One of the problems with a group of nine is that the vast majority of the larger tables are set for eight. Very few, if any, are set for ten. With nine, they either have to squeeze in another place setting, which will crowd you, or change the tabletop, which takes time. Nine is an awkward number if you all want to sit together.

You may find it easier to get two tables near each other, one with four people and the other with five at a table for six. You can always switch back and forth which table you eat at each evening.

You may find it easier to get two tables near each other, one with four people and the other with five at a table for six. You can always switch back and forth which table you eat at each evening.

I much prefer this to one huge table. With a large table, if it is round it is so large you cannot hear what the people across from you are saying. If it is rectangular, the 4 people at either end get left out of the conversation and end up leaning over to attempt to hear the conversation.

I just had this happen to me on Thanksgiving in a restaurant. I was at the end of the table for 8 and I could hear the voice of only one person. Add the fact that I was seated under the air conditioning vent and it was one cold and lonely Thanksgiving feast. I've had the same circumstance on a cruise ship, minus the air conditioning vent.

We've had smaller tables next to each other on cruises with family/friends and we changed seats every night. Perhaps you don't get the beverage of choice (I change every night anyway) at your place setting when you arrive, but that's no big deal, only mere moments corrects that issue.

I did successfully herd all the cats when I had a group of 45 people cruising together to celebrate my DH's birthday:p We all had late, traditional dining with all sitting in the same area of the MDR.

As for "older" people preferring early dining, IMHO, dining time preference isn't just determined by age:rolleyes: Many younger folks like the early dining too. On the Alaska cruise with 10 people at late, traditional dining, my 90 year old mom loved eating then. DH and I are about to sail in <4 weeks with another couple: he's over 80 and she's late 70's. This is our 4th trip together and it's always late seating;)

Archived