Insurance Question

Marlissa

Hi,

If we buy insurance from a third party, I know we need to buy it within the "grace" period. But, we are budgeting our money and if we pay cruise deposit and insurance premium now, can we purchase air after the grace period has expired? Or do all need to be purchased w/in the grace period? Or does it depend on the insurance company and their policy?

Thanks,
Marlissa

Marlissa,

I believe you can purchase insurance at any time. I'm not sure what you mean by the grace period. Most insurances require that you purchase within 14 days of booking to cover pre-existing conditions.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America
4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration
10/30/2004 - Maasdam

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]
Till sailing on the Maasdam

Unless you have a pre-existing condition that needs to be covered, you don't really have a grace period for insurance. You just have to buy it before your final payment. If you have pre-existing conditions, you have to buy the insurance withing 7 to 14 days of booking. If you purchase insurance at the time of booking, and you book your air separately, the insurance you already had won't cover your airfare should you have to cancel. You have to cover everything at once or purchase another policy to cover the airfare.

Darcie

I'm not positive about this, but I'll point it out to be better safe than sorry. Regarding pre-existing conditions, it's not just a matter of your pre-existing conditions, it's everyones. For instance, if one of your parents has cancer now, and passes on while you're on your cruise they'll only pay for your trip interruption if you purchase the insurance during the pre-existing condition period.

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]

Thanks for the answers. I was confusing the 14 day pre-existing period with a "must purchase insurance within this time period". It's nice to know that we can pay deposit now and get insurance later since we don't have any pre-existing illnesses.

Your welcome. We live local to the port and don't need to fly. So we're waiting until right before the final payment to purchase insurance. If I need to cancel anytime before that, it can be done without penalty anyhow.

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

Here's what I've done in the past: I buy the trip insurance during the 14-day period to cover the pre-existing conditions. Then, when I buy my air, I call the trip insurance company to add the price of the air/hotels, and pay the difference at that time. I've done that up to a month before travelling.

Archived