RCCL/Galveston. Great cruise

chris2597

We had a fantastic cruise on RCCL, out of Galveston, Tx. The Mariner is a beautiful ship and very easy to get around to the different venues.

Our Promanade room (7559) was very convenient to everything. I think the PR are a bit smaller than the reg. insides to accomodate the window seating.

We ate most of our meals in the Anytime/Main Dining room. The service was impeccable. The food was good, not excellent. I think Princess has better food and more choices. I was pleased that RCCL has perked coffee, rather than the horrible syrup coffee on Princess. We also ate in the Windjammer a few times for lunch and breakfast. Again, it was good, not excellent. I like the buffet set up much better than Princess buffet, as it provides a better flow of traffic.

The crusie director. Carly was fantastic. She is energetic and very entertaining. She hosted most events and was very visable around the ship and open to interaction with the passengers. She is by far the best CD we have had. The shipboard entertainment was amazing. I would happily return to see shows a second times if it was available. Every show was fantastic. The Young Elvis impersonator, dancers/singers, Ice skaters,Marriage game, Promanade 70's show, Piano Man were were awesome.I can't say enough about how good they were. The two comedians were so-so. I can't remember their names. The first one was a bit too much with some of his humor. I went in knowing it was adult humor. I am no prude, but I dont like crude. The guy that performed later in the cruise was a bit better, although at times the act was strange.

The only negative was the chaotic port conditions that still prevail in Galveston. This is not RCCL's fault. RCCL staff were efficient, polite and calm, once we were in the terminal. However, it was a totally different scene outside. The port employees were in reaction mode, shouting, directing and just plain adding to the confusion. We were told that the Mariner had arrived late, which caused the confusion. We have sailed out of Galveston 4 times and each and everytime we have found the port in total confusion. . Galveston needs to get it's act together. They have been doing this long enough and the port should not be this chaotic. Other ports with even more activity offer a whole lot less confusion and frustration. There were several people new to cruising and they were very uncomfortable with the events. We knew just to hold tight and things would improve once in RCCL's hands.

Debarkation was very easy. We parked at Lighthouse Parking. They offer covered parking in a secured lot. The cost was $50 for the week when reserved online. The parking lot shuttle was waiting, as soon as we departed the terminal. I highly recommend their service.

This was our second RCCL cruise, as we typically sail Princess. We didnt think any line could sway us from booking only with Princess, but RCCL may have our cruise $$ alot more in the future. A large part of that is due to the entertainment and cruise director.

Thanks for the post! We're boarding on Sunday and I appreciate knowing about the confusion before getting there. The funny thing is, we never had a problem with boarding in Galveston until our cruise in Jan of this year. the previous times we sailed right through...

That's for sure!! I just read on another thread that RCCL is pulling out of Galveston after this season. I hope it isnt true. I know that Princess will be sailing out of the port of Houston next season. Anyone heard anything about this?

That's for sure!! I just read on another thread that RCCL is pulling out of Galveston after this season. I hope it isnt true. I know that Princess will be sailing out of the port of Houston next season. Anyone heard anything about this?

I see departure dates on the Royal Caribbean Website through April of 2014. However, it looks like the are pulling *Mariner* out of Galveston and putting Navigator in for late 2013/ early 2014.

Archived