Mariner of The Seas - Starboard facing ports?

Carvia

I was on the Mariner out of Galveston last April 2012 in a portside balcony to Cozumel, Cayman and Jamaica. Being portside, I expected to see the actual ports when we docked. This wasn't the case. Starboard was actually facing all three ports. This has never happened when I've cruised before. Can anyone recently back from a cruise on the Mariner out of Galveston know if this is still the way they still docking? Thanks! :)

Yes, I know which side of the ship is portside, thank you. Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't the above ship (which, by the way, is docked in Cozumel) docked with starboard facing the port? That's the way my ship docked (in the ports that do dock!) each time.

I was asking a simple and honest question from those of you who share a love of cruising. I've been coming to this message board for years and have never personally experienced such rudeness as in this thread. I've also joined each and every Meet & Mingle on my cruises and met many of the people who frequent this board. They were all very nice people. Always baffles me how people can be so nasty when they have a computer screen in front of them. Thanks for the help. I now know were not to go for my legitimate cruise questions.

Happy Cruising!

I apologize if I seemed rude, because I honestly do not try to be.. Maybe everyone thought it was a joke..The side the ship docks on is somewhat of a tossup. After going to Roatan once, I thought I knew everything and booked the same cabin for next time , as we could see Coxen Hole so well, so on the next cruise, all seemed fine till the captain turned her around at the last minute. And at Cozumel, for example, I don't even try to guess anymore..Hope this helps a bit..:)

we were on Mariner for the dec 9 sailing. As you face the front of the ship the port in Galvestion was on the right. In Cozumel the port was to the left. In Falmouth the port was to the right.

I think this depends on which side of the pier is used (in Falmouth there were two choices for example - the other was empty the day we were there).

The captain indicated he has some discretion as to the orientation of the boat when he docks (bow in first or stern in first) however he indicated that it is good practice, absent other constraints or considerations, to dock such that departure can be done as quickly as possible. In Falmouth the back of the ship was closest to the island so in the very unlikely event something happened and he needed to get the ship out of port quickly there is less manuvering time required, the manuvering to achieve the departure orientation was done upon docking. The Carnival ships (everyone we saw) didn't seem to follow this convention but Mariner did.

So I would be confident that Mariner will "back in" but I can't be sure which side of the pier will be used.

I agree with the previous poster for Mariner out of Galveston.

We were on the 11/25 sailing. He did back into both ports (Cozumel and Falmouth). Our balcony was on the port side as well so in both cases, we weren't facing the "port".

In Cozumel, we faced the Liberty of the Seas and faced both ships gangways.

In Falmouth, we faced the edge of the island and out to sea, not the port shopping area.

In GC, we were anchored facing the island, so port side saw just the edge.

Honestly, I think it can change from cruise to cruise so I wouldn't guarantee how we docked would be the same for your sailing. I know they have activities at ports for crew drills, lifeboat drills, and cleaning of the outer part of the ship. I think that can go into the decision as well.

There is never a guarantee for which side of the ship is going to face the port or the pier. The ships are designed to be able to dock with either side to the pier. There are many reasons why a captian may dock the ship with the port side to the pier or the starboard side to the pier.

Archived