review on AmaCello/Amadagio thru Europe

sailoruk

We have recently returned from a great trip on AMAwaterways. We boarded Amacello in Amsterdam cruising down to Basel, via a day up/down the Moselle. We were then coached/bussed down to Lyon via Gruyere and Vevey on Lake Geneva to board Amadagio in Lyon to sail down to Arles (we were supposed to sail up and down the Soane but the river levels were too high - so spent an extra day in Lyon - great).

We found both ships wonderful and were given the same "cabin" on both ships making it easier to remember for 14 days!!!. The Amacello is a "wee" bit younger than the Amadagio, but could not fault either ship. The accommodation is first class, the showers - well I wanted to pack them in my suitcase to bring home. The food was extremely plentiful and very well presented and a good choice whether one wanted Meat, Fish , Vegetarian etc. etc. Free Wine, Beer, soft drinks with lunch and dinner.Probably our only niggle was we found the dining room on both ships a tad too noisy!! TheTea/coffee station in the lounge was available 24/7 with biscuits as well as fruit. The Freedom of choice tours were very well organised with modern coaches and knowledgeable guides, loved returning to the ships to find a hot drink waiting - loved the varieties served.

The accommodation is good, we found there was enough cupboard space and our cases could easily fit under the bed. We loved having a "french" window, even tho the weather wasn't the best (we did not go in November/December for weather!!) for us having a large window it made the cabin extremely spacious, not that we spent a lot of time there, preferring to sit in the lounge (when not out touring) viewing the passing towns/villages or just chatting to fellow guests.

There were two umbrellas for our use in the cabins. What we found very good was we had Little voice boxes with ear phones, so when one went on tour you could follow the guide at your own pace and still hear what was being said - an extremnely good idea.

Having been on the Rhine years before in Spring, this was different for us but still extremely enjoyable.

We love being able to just get off the ship and wander into the town On a couple of occasions did not go on the organised tours but did our own things - this is entirely up to you, how much or little you do.

There was some "night" entertainment - enjoyable - but did find that after around 10.30 or so it was very quiet around, probably folk are just too tired after being on the go the whole day.

nothing was too much trouble for the crew, we had asked for a couple of things that weren't available but no problem was sorted out entirely to our satisfaction.

We were bussed to Marseille for our flight back - all again very well organised.

Having cruised on a number of river ships, this met our expectations very highly, and would have no hesitiation in sailing with AMA again.

Our fellow passengers were mainly from Australia.

I have not mentioned any of the stops - but all were great - any questions - I shall gladly answer.:)

Thank you for your review. It's nice to know that the substitution they provided due to high water was of equal quality, rather than bussing you from town to town. That gives me trust in the company.

We were going to do an AMA cruise in October, but found out that it was sold out. We're now looking at other options. Your review reinforces my decision to use AMA and just find a cruise to fit our dates. :)

The extra day we spent in Lyon, there were tours available, but we just wandered the streets of Lyon which we enjoyed. :)

Thank you for your review. It's nice to know that the substitution they provided due to high water was of equal quality, rather than bussing you from town to town. That gives me trust in the company.

We were going to do an AMA cruise in October, but found out that it was sold out. We're now looking at other options. Your review reinforces my decision to use AMA and just find a cruise to fit our dates. :)

Archived