San Juan and the Free Shuttle

luvscruising2007

We just returned from our Explorer of the Seas cruise. We had decided to check out the forts and from info received on this forum, decided to use the free shuttle to get around. So, I thought I would share our experience.

With map in had we left the ship and fairly quickly found the trolley/shuttle stop 1.

It was almost directly across the street from the pier. An information center at the same corner provided us with a map and we were on our way.

We went to the stop, and met Joe and Henrietta, who we later saw quite often around the ship.

The trolley arrived and we found seats which were few and far between. The tram dropped us at Fort San Cristobal and we walked freely through the fort checking out the different rooms. Many of the rooms are empty. It appears they are trying to add some displays so that you can get a better feel for the time period. It was interesting but not great. The views are wonderful.

We exited the fort and went to the trolley stop. 3 trolleys came by but were full so we decided to walk to El Morro. It is a long walk and mostly up hill. We took our time but were somewhat tired when we arrived. We briefly went through this fort and caught the trolley back to the pier.

In retrospect we would take the trolley to El Morro first and then get the trolley back to San Cristobal. Either way, you will have to wait for a trolley and may experience a long wait if they are full.

I would also probably take an organized tour of San Juan if we should ever return to San Juan. Our tablemates took a city tour and enjoyed it very much.

This is just my observation and I hope it does help someone else decide on their exploration of San Juan.

We had pretty much the same plan for San Juan on our recent stop on the Glory. We were in port early and and the only ship in for the day so were off the ship by 8AM and the trolley was not very crowded (actually only 2 other people). We did do El Morro first then jumped the shuttle to San Cristobal. We found the forts very interesting and the views stunning. As luvscruising2007 says there were a lot of empty rooms in both so would be interesting to go back when they are finished. After the forts we hopped back on the trolley (alot more crowded now) and di a whole loop to see what we might have missed. Got off again at San Cristobal and started off walking down the hill back to the ship. Much easier walking down hill. Found a great spot for lunch about halfway down, Toro Salao (Salty Bull). Great outdoor patio to people watch and the food was fantastic.

An organized tour would be a good idea too. All in all loved OSJ and recommend as a relaxing day in this port.

Archived