Here we go again

bliss_fully_happy

So my son is loud. I am worried.

Our last crisis was hard. He discovered tantrums on that cruise (specifically that they are successful in populated locations)

He is older now. Has more words. I am hoping for a better experience.

Also carnival is more kid friendly than rccl's suite experience.

This is my 4yo DD's 6th cruise. This will be my 23mo DS's 4th cruise.

Just booked. So laundry is in and packing has started.

Hopefully, you've discovered that tantrums do fade, if you ignore them and remove him immediately from the situation when appropriate. Children can be taught that tantrums are more trouble than they're worth! It's hard in a populated situation, but when they occur at home...let him rant! Ignore him.

I'm sure you'll have a fine time.

Oh, how I empathize! My oldest son had the *worst* tantrums as a toddler. Being in a public space made it rather embarrassing. I found the best thing was to pick him up and remove him from wherever he was to a private place where he could finish it out without the attention. I've carried him kicking and screaming at times. I've had to endure people staring as if it must be something I was doing as a parent.

The good news is that around the age of 3, when he could reason and understand what we were saying much better, it completely reversed. He is now one of the most well-behaved and polite 9 year old children you will meet. When I tell people how difficult he was as a baby and toddler, they never believe me.

Best of luck on your cruise and just remember that this too shall pass!

Thank you everyone for commenting. It is so much easier at home to be non-tolerant of tantrums. I think this one will be easier too because he won't have to be in the stroller as much.

Even on that last cruise I got "you have such lovely behaved children" comments. That is because after the first 2 nights all meals were in our room. If that happens again, at least I won't be cooking cleaning or working for 5days!

I am excited. I hope to have good news for this post next week.

I feel your pain!

Have a wonderful cruise, and ignore the hateful, grumpy stares you get (if any) from those who have forgotten the reality of parenting.

I always remove a loud and disruptive child from the situation, if possible. But sometimes it takes a minute, and brings you momentarily even MORE attention and comments. Remember that your first priority is to love and parent your son, and not to ensure that others have a child-free vacation.

Get to recognize the clues that a tantrum may be coming and remove yourself and your child to somewhere where he can blow without disturbing others. When he's run his course, talk through the situation and give him options what he should do instead the next time. Even at 2.5 or 3YO they can understand a lot more than we give them credit for.

Work out plans pre-cruise with your spouse or older children or other travelling companions as to how you all will handle any outbursts. Consistency is key.

It is never too early to start to help our kids figure out constructive ways to deal with frustration (I wish some of my co-worker's parents had helped them more when they were younger :))

Glad you had a wonderful cruise! Makes me feel a little better as we are taking our 3 year old daughter on her first cruise in July. And boy does she know how to throw fits. My favorite thing is how people stare at you while you are dealing with them...who hasn't seen a 2 year old throw a fit before!!

We had an awesome cruise. The little guy was great. Only a couple of melt downs and I was either able to make it to a bathroom or our stateroom. We have turned a corner and so glad we enjoyed the cruise.

:) So glad to hear this! :)

Some of us are staring only because we feel sorry for you and wish there was something we could do to help!

Agree with other posters, I do strive to remove my child so as not to disturb others. As for the tantrum itself, I do not give in - but I'm the queen of distraction. I also believe that 90% of parenting is making sure you children are full of nutritious food and are well rested. This is no easy task on vacation. The are short on sleep, and full of sugar - and then we expect them to be on their very best behavior... not a good combination. I just watch for early signs of tantrums and distract, distract, distract!!! My kids are older and now we joke about this and when someone starts to get fussy someone will yell "SQUIRREL" like from the move Up, and we can all laugh and immediately diffuse the situation.

All that said, my youngest is now 7 and she is just plain loud - even when she's happy as a clam. We do our best to pretend like we are civilized but sometimes the "were you born in a barn?" side slips out.:rolleyes:

Archived