Water and ice in drinks question?

wr813

We have been told not to drink water in Mexico. What if we go to an authentic restaurant in downtown San Miguel. If we order a frozen Margarita or a mixed drink that has ice in it, is it safe to drink without getting sick? We want to try the authentic spots but dont want to have to run to the bathroom the rest of the cruise.

I have never had a problem in a 'real' restaurant in San M, or any of the larger hotels. Been going to Coz since the mid 80's.

The one time I had a bout of M's revenge I bought a soda from a street vendor - one of those bicycle carts - and decided it wasn't cold enuf. The vendor gave me a cup with ice. I've never made that mistake again.

The water in reputable bars & restaurants in town all use bottled water. It's advertised in many places and by the same token if one were to use tap water I'm sure it wouldn't take long before the word would be out and the business wouldn't be open for any length of time. I've never had a problem in all the years we've gone.

I've travelled to Mexico many times over the years and have very good friends who lived there for some time.

I would not drink the water unless it is brought to me in a sealed bottle and definitely would not have ice. While it is true that "most" places have treated water, not everyone does and you have no way of knowing for sure. I stick to Mexican beers - Pacifico, Sol, Tecate, Negro Modelo are all very good.

Along with not drinking water, you should also avoid all salads including fresh tomato and cilanto in guacamole! Definitely no lettuce! Fruits should be thick skinned such as pineapples and oranges. Melons are especially worrisome due to their high water content - they suck up all the bad stuck in the soil around them!

Better safe than sorry....

Archived