Miami Herald Re PCH

PaReader

PaReader - Interesting article. Thanks for posting! I look forward to the day (and perhaps so does TC2 :)) when the food on Regent is "dramatically more upscale", as it seemingly already is now on Oceania - particularly given the fact that we passengers on Regent are being charged more than TWICE the cost (on average) per customer/per day as passengers on Oceania. And although Regent cuisine is very nice, it apparently doesn't "hold a candle" to that on Oceania. Hmmmmmm? And this has been Jackie's point of view for quite sometime. I don't presume to speak for her. I know she'll weigh-in when she gets back home for her latest cruise. Best Regards and Happy Holidays to all.

Forget the cuisine and the new ship build. The most interesting part of the article is the following line:

" Del Rio said the possibility of the company going public exists if Apollo wants to monetize its investment — but he doesn’t know when it would happen."

Private equity firms don't hang on to an investment forever. If Regent has given them a nice return and the probability of a big gain in an IPO, it may be sayonara Regent.

Also, if you read the sidebar. I'm not sure how they calculated the average ages of the cruisers on Regent & Oceania.

They say 59 on Regent and 62 on Oceania.

We are Regent Gold and have never seen an average that low.

At least for Regent, must be the children on the Alaskan and summer Europe cruises driving down the 'mean'. Suspect the median is higher.

At least for Regent, must be the children on the Alaskan and summer Europe cruises driving down the 'mean'. Suspect the median is higher.

You and I must have taken the same statistics course. Just thinking the same thing.

Hi Responder - Totally agree. I was on the Navigator for the last Alaska cruise of the '12 summer season. My DW and I are 64/65 and we both felt like "teenagers" on the ship :) PaReader - You are correct about the financials. I caught that, too. Private investors buy a brand, water it a bit, throw in some fertilizer, plant a few new flowers in the bed, and trim out the weeds around the border edging. Make the garden look nice, and then put it out on the market and see what it's worth in a public offering. Investors are most interested in a nice quick ROI (return on investment). Not necessarily on pertetuating a particular brand or product forever. The financials look pretty strong, given the overall economy. Investors are in the investing business - not the cruiseline business. The product (cruising) is merely a means to an end from an investor's perspective. I'm a bit surprised that comment made it into the article, unless the intent was to throw a pebble into the water and see what kind of ripples it created.

pingpong1 -- thank you for alerting me to this thread and very interesting article. I agree with the above comments regarding age. IMO, you cannot average the ages of Alaska and summer cruisers in with the ages of cruisers the rest of the year.

It is also interesting to see in writing what I have been told repeatedly by passengers who have sailed both lines ...... the food on Oceania is better than on Regent. IMO this simply does not add up. pingpong1 -- your words are exactly what I would have said.

No matter what Apollo decides to do with Regent, at least they are still putting money into it. The Voyager and Mariner are coming up for drydock again and will use the same carpeting, wallpaper, furniture as on the Navigator. I have some photos that I will try to post so people can see what the Voyager and Mariner will look like after drydock.

IMO, if Regent's food were brought up to the level of Oceania, I'd be happy (and might stop complaining about the excursions that we cannot opt out of:p).

TC2 and others - I cannot agree with you more that it seems quite bizarre that PCH (meaning FDR) has made the choice to emphasize the quality of food on Oceania more than on the higher end (and more expensive by a good margin) line, Regent. The logical disconnect in this matter is so great that it almost defies belief. Unfortunately, it is also a reason that many of us long-time loyal Regent cruisers are now seriously looking at the alternatives on SS and SB. FDR has made his choices; and we will now make ours.

FDR monitors these boards. We who have this question regarding food quality would welcome his comments in response to the concerns raised on this thread.

But the question is"does FDR look this far into a thread"? Maybe this question deserves it's own thread with a hoped for answer from FDR.

Having spoken on the telephone with FDR, I can attest to the fact that he reads just about everything on the Regent and Oceania boards. Mr. Del Rio is an amazing CEO. IMO, his only blind spot is Regent. From what I have heard, Regent is doing extremely well and hopefully will gain the attention of FDR. He cares about both lines but cannot help the fact that Oceania is his baby. Because of his adoration of Oceania, I have bashed it repeatedly. I agree that the Marina and Riviera are gorgeous ships, Regent offers what the public wants (IMHO) and FDR needs to recognize this and provide food that is equal to the service on Regent;)

Archived