Best value and busiest routes in river cruises

june1

We are interested in a river cruise in France, Germany, Holland, or Belgium in the fall of 2005 or spring of 2006. We like to be busy during the day with activities/shore excursions. Some companies have optionals included while others do not. Please advise us on the best values and the most intersting routes which have lots to do.

Thanks,

June1:)

We were on the Viking Spirit last October, from Vienna to Amsterdam. As I recall, there were only two events not included - a concert in Vienna, and also a Palace visit, also in Vienna. We enjoyed the concert, but skipped the palace visit to explore on our own. All other excursions, wine tasting, a lunch were included in the price of the cruise. We can't say enough about how much we enjoyed this cruise on the Danube, Rhine, Main and canals. The scenery was picturesque - vinyards, castles, towns - we could view as we sailed. The towns and cities where we docked were very interesting, and the guides were outstanding. The passengers are divided into smaller groups, each with a guide, so we could see and hear everything. We were pleased with our cabin, the food and service. In fact, we really had no complaints, and have booked a Russian river cruise with Viking next month.

Since this was our first river cruise, I'm afraid we can't compare the value with other lines. All I can say is we felt we had great value for our money on Viking.

We are going on the Vienna to Amsterdam cruise this October but on Uniworld. Could you tell me how the weather was when you were there last year? Thanks

Mary Lou

The weather varied, from warm sunny days to some very cool ones. We had a few rainy days, but nothing that prevented us from going on our walking tours. No one on our boat ever wore shorts - and everyone was glad to have a warm jacket or rain coat for when it was needed. I remember when we arrived in Nuremburg by bus from our boat, we wandered around on our own for awhile, then found a coffee shop on the second level of a building on the square (across from "The Beautiful Fountain" which we thought was a description - turned out to be the name.) When we went in, we found a group of our fellow passengers, all of us appreciating warming up with wine and coffee. A fun time! I guess I would say the weather was somewhat colder than our Octobers here in Connecticut, but for the most part - lovely. I suppose the watchword is "layers." You will have a fabulous time - we did, and are now fans of river cruising, after years on the ocean.

This year my wife and I went on a Provence river cruise with OAT, which is a division of GCT for more active people. Our cruise was on a river barge and it was WONDERFUL! Check out my previous posting describinh the trip. I think that you'll find the activity level to your liking. See:

OAT Cruise Posting

We did the Great Rivers of Europe cruise with Grand Circle last summer, and thought it was excellent value for the money. Some shore excusions were optional, and we did some of them and skipped others as we had been there previously, or we wanted to do something on our own. Even adding in the optional tour costs, the trip was as good or better value than most of the other companies. We are doing the Romance of the Rhine and Mosel river cruise with Grand Circle next month. We have traveled with Grand Circle eight times, and think they are fantastic.

Jan...Which of the river cruise companies have you traveled on and how did you come to your conclusion about Uniworld?

Lil,

I have not been on a river cruise..but we have been studying them closely in hoping to rep one..IMHO it comes down between Viking and Uniworld..Uniworld has new owners so I guess we have to see if they can get it together for the 2006 season..I may go on Viking since I wrote last week..I will be doing an Eastern Europe with some friends..When I do I certainly will post a review..

Jan

Celem,

Thankyou for the great journal entry. I am very interested in this trip and you have convinced me to really consider it.

June1:)

This year my wife and I went on a Provence river cruise with OAT, which is a division of GCT for more active people. Our cruise was on a river barge and it was WONDERFUL! Check out my previous posting describinh the trip. I think that you'll find the activity level to your liking. See:

OAT Cruise Posting

Lil,

I have not been on a river cruise..but we have been studying them closely in hoping to rep one..IMHO it comes down between Viking and Uniworld..Uniworld has new owners so I guess we have to see if they can get it together for the 2006 season..I may go on Viking since I wrote last week..I will be doing an Eastern Europe with some friends..When I do I certainly will post a review..

Jan

Jan, what happened to Avalon Waterways which you were promoting on your website.

Jan, what happened to Avalon Waterways which you were promoting on your website.

Hi Lil,

I love Avalon Waterways..but our clients felt that Viking and or Uniworld were a better value so asked us to check them both out which we have done..

Jan

I just returned from a 14 day cruise Budapest to Amsterdam on Uniworld's River Empress. It was one of my best vacations ever!!! I loved every minute. We were docked with Grand Circle, Viking and a few others. In talking to passengers on the other ships, they too thought their cruise was great.

The River Empress was very nice and the food was plentiful, good and there was a nice variety. I especially loved their strawberries. I wonder what country they were from. The tomatos were also excellent as well as their soups. Our Cruise Manager, Wouter, was the most helpful and knowledgable of the destinations of any cruise I've been on. Our Hotel Manager, Frank, kept things running perfectly and he seemed well liked by the crew. Everyone on board seemed to enjoy their jobs and really deserved their tips.

We had 94 passengers on board. I met so many interesting and nice people. We became like family. I'm glad I went with the 14 night cruise. It went by so fast and I wasn't ready to come home. I would do this trip again.

The included tours were also excellent. The local guides were great.

• 2 months later...

I have been doing some research into my possible first river cruise. I am considering the above cruise for 10 days leaving Prague on December 24 2006, should I expect the weather to be bitter cold/freezing during this time of the year?

thanks for your help

Sabrina

Hi Sabrina - yes you can expect temperatures below freezing. However there is almost never any windschield factor, which makes the low temperature less biting .... and then of course there is Gluhwein (spiced hot wine) available in abundance, which actually converts the freeze into fun.

• 1 month later...
I have been doing some research into my possible first river cruise. I am considering the above cruise for 10 days leaving Prague on December 24 2006, should I expect the weather to be bitter cold/freezing during this time of the year?

thanks for your help

Sabrina

Sabrina,

We are considering the Christmas river cruise also, have you established the best price available yet?. It's our 40th wedding anniversary on New Year's eve, which be a nice way of celebrating it, then we'll probably go on to Italy to finish off our tour.

Sabrina,

We are considering the Christmas river cruise also, have you established the best price available yet?. It's our 40th wedding anniversary on New Year's eve, which be a nice way of celebrating it, then we'll probably go on to Italy to finish off our tour.

I am still researching several website/agents but you should check out www.gct.com, most reasonable prices I have seen yet. They have not posted their Xmas 2006 prices but looking at the Xmas 2005 prices they should be in the ballpark. There are many other River Cruise agents that run specials, keep monitoring.

Sabrina

Sabrina,

I am still researching several website/agents but you should check out www.gct.com, most reasonable prices I have seen yet. They have not posted their Xmas 2006 prices but looking at the Xmas 2005 prices they should be in the ballpark. There are many other River Cruise agents that run specials, keep monitoring.

Sabrina

Sabrina,

Sabrina

Archived